Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : FreeBSD: Installation (Only an issue with FreeBSD 6)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vylycyn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 486
IP: Logged
icon FreeBSD: Installation (+2)  
When I first tried installing the JTRH for FreeBSD beta, It displayed a message that it couldn't install it because I was missing the file libc.so.5.
I looked in /lib, and noticed there was a libc.so.6 in there,but no libc.so.5, so I just made libc.so.5 link to libc.so.6.
After I did that, it installed without any problems.
Other than that I haven't noticed anything wrong with this version.

-vylycyn

08-09-2005 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Rank Points: 365
icon Re: FreeBSD: Installation (0)  
Thanks for the report, and apologies for the delay in getting back to you.

I wasn't aware that they'd bumped up the libc version for FreeBSD 6 - I'll sort it in the next release.

Cheers,
Jamie

08-22-2005 at 09:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
icon Re: FreeBSD: Installation (+1)  
I've fixed this now - for freebsd 6 installs, I now fallback on the compat5x library where needed to ensure things will continue working for future freebsd 6 systems which may have so many lib_c.so.6 changes that linking might stop working.

New version will be released shortly

08-27-2005 at 10:06 AM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: FreeBSD: Installation (0)  
jamie wrote:
I've fixed this now - for freebsd 6 installs, I now fallback on the compat5x library where needed to ensure things will continue working for future freebsd 6 systems which may have so many lib_c.so.6 changes that linking might stop working.
Um, if libc.so.6 is modified to be incompatible sometime in the future, the version will be updated and it'll be called libc.so.7. Or did I misunderstand something ?

- Gerry
08-27-2005 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Sorry, I wasn't very clear.
What I meant to say, was that vylycyn solved the problem by linking libc.so.5 to libc.so.6 which worked fine.

FreeBSD 6.0 is still in beta, and the libc change has only been done recently.

I expect, therefore, that it may change further in the future in a way that is compatible with anything that links against libc.so.6 but could break when its something that is really attempting to link against libc.so.5 (i.e. the current DROD binary)

So, for that reason, I thought to actually include libc.so.5 in the FreeBSD 6.X case, rather than link it to libc.so.6

After all, if libc.so.6 was bound to always work as libc.so.5 then why bump it in the first place, and why include libc.so.5 in the compat5X package just released for FreeBSD 6.

Phew, I hope that is clearer (though I don't think it is!)

Still, if my rationality is wrong - please let me know, I won't be offended.

Cheers, Jamie

08-27-2005 at 10:02 PM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
jamie wrote:
Sorry, I wasn't very clear.
What I meant to say, was that vylycyn solved the problem by linking libc.so.5 to libc.so.6 which worked fine.

FreeBSD 6.0 is still in beta, and the libc change has only been done recently.

I expect, therefore, that it may change further in the future in a way that is compatible with anything that links against libc.so.6 but could break when its something that is really attempting to link against libc.so.5 (i.e. the current DROD binary)
Yes, this makes sense.

So, for that reason, I thought to actually include libc.so.5 in the FreeBSD 6.X case, rather than link it to libc.so.6
Ah, I think I misunderstood you. The problem isn't that you don't want to compile/link DROD against libc.so.6, but that since earlier versions of FreeBSD uses libc.so.5, and only the new FreeBSD beta uses libc.so.6, you have to link against libc.so.5 for compatibility with the earlier FreeBSD releases. You're correct that substituting libc.so.6 for libc.so.5 isn't guaranteed to work. It might work, but only because you're lucky :). Vice versa, things linked against libc.so.6 is almost guaranteed not to work with libc.so.5.

Still, if my rationality is wrong - please let me know, I won't be offended.
No, I just misunderstood you. :)

- Gerry
08-28-2005 at 01:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
You got it. I'm currently building on a FreeBSD 5 system, and probably will do for some time, therefore for FreeBSD 6 systems, I'll include the FreeBSD 5 libc.so.5 in the distribution.

I suspect FreeBSD 5 will be the most used system for quite some time.

Sorry for the confusion - I admit I wasn't very clear, and thanks for the clarification - I do value your input.

08-28-2005 at 01:24 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : FreeBSD: Installation (Only an issue with FreeBSD 6)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com