Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : An event #1 (Events that happens in a place.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

1.8/10 (49 votes)
σ 1.50
Author Name:JeffReg
Submitted By:Jeff_Ray...
Hold Name:An event #1
Theme:Events that happens in a place.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:9
Number of Monsters:89
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:-3 (+1 / -4)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: An event 1.hold (5.3 KB)
Downloaded 2125 times.
License: Other
icon An event #1  
This is my first hold i submit. I hope you will like it.
07-01-2005 at 01:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: An event #1 (+1)  
Okay, look, Jeff. 1N should not require that you not kill a monster right next to you until a certain scene occurs unless you know you're supposed to.

1N1E: Okay, Halph shows up if you stay in the entrance and don't move at all until the scene ends. Once again, I need to guess how your scripted events occur. I'm not liking this.

2N1W: What's this? You went through the west entrance instead of the north? Well, after a bunch of rooms, you get to start all over again. On the other hand, this is probably one of the few scripted scenes you've made that doesn't require some sort of specific movements.

--Okay, I admit. After some nonsensical rooms involving killing a roach and eye in some rooms for no apparent reason, and one boss fight that pretty much makes no sense at all, you can finish this hold.
More as I continue.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 07-01-2005 06:41 PM]
07-01-2005 at 06:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I know i've made it going bad, but when i will submit the next hold, it shall be good.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-01-2005 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
icon Re: An event #1 (+2)  
Ah ! Again a hold where I would like to say two words first : Architecture Board ! This could have been a real good hold, but in that form ? Comments to the rooms.

Entrance : Easy starter room. You get introduced into the story (which is interesting but a little, erhm... wodden (hölzrig, rogue)
made.
1N : Very easy room ! How to kill a seep in three steps ? Well take your sword (the white thing) and put it ON the white thing in the wall, then run away. After all there is also a script bug which dont let me open the door when I kill the seep early.
1N1W : A Halph puzzle for.... my non-existing 3 years old brother. The Halph in the serpentins reminds me at some physics lesson somehow.... The good thing are again the story scenes.
2N1W : Again story scene room. Nothing bad here, expect that the slayer could look at the roach and could stand behind the desk but thats not really bad.
2N2W : Very easy room ! Kill the snake (which can be done easyly with the 5 key) and then the brain. Nice maze anyway.
3N1W : Nothing special here. Again a scripted character.
3N : Looks like a living or bed room. Nice to see that the objects have descriptions. The puzzle it contains is not a puzzle ,expect you are drunk.
3N2W : Almost the same like 3N : Good to see objects and descriptions bad to see the puzzle. I cant kill that poor eye ! Its so harmless and alone and... :weep
2N3W : Coolest room of the hold, because of the music I heared the first time I think, and the nice character scene. Funny idea, the roach scorpion (even if my first thought was that it is a sheep) . But some things spoil it : You leave the room wihtout rescuing Halph (because you cannot !) and its also pretty simple because the roaches are blocked.

Textwork : Standart ending text (the automatic one) and a short but accurate introduction. The "Theme" Text (on the hold page) is however as accurate as a sawed off shotgun

The hold itself seems more to be an RGP like thingy. The difficulty is at about 1.5 brains and for the fun... well the puzzles werent fun. Too easy. However therefore the hold has a nice story and some good (and some bugged) scripted Character scenes. Also the hold had made me laugh at 3N. So all in all Ill give it 3 points.

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 07-01-2005 08:45 PM]
07-01-2005 at 08:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Since I go around commenting the holds I complete, I guess I will say a couple of things about this thing here.

So, I decided to play holds with the lowest difficulty first and by some weird reality quirk, I found this one at the very very bottom.

I guess this hold can be summed up pretty easily - it IS awful and filled with bugs. Nothing we can't forgive though, if I recall my own first attempts at holds this one is not actually half bad. Which does not change the fact it shouldn't have ever reached the Holds board.

There are no secret wall mazes though!

That would be it I guess, let the old mistakes take their well deserved rest (It's a great deal of fun though to see how things change with time) :).

08-17-2009 at 02:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
This hold is mostly interesting as an historical artifact.

On one level, it illustrates why the HA process was so badly needed. This hold is buggy and confusing and would have benefited from more time in the architectural oven.

On another level, it's an early work by Jeff_Ray, who has since gone on to produce some really quite good holds.

No, I didn't love the hold, but I did play it with a certain amount of fondness.

3 for fun, 2 for difficulty.

Josh

10-05-2009 at 05:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
There were a couple of problems with this hold, otherwise it would have been interesting.

The second room required waiting to kill the first enemy (which took me a while to figure out). Otherwise the door did not open. The room to the west of that I exited and then was trapped and had to go to another restore point.

I hope you learned about scripting though, good practice! It was entertaining and I liked a couple of the rooms.

05-24-2011 at 01:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : An event #1 (Events that happens in a place.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com