Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : More tiles files. (A way to make smaller graphical mods.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vylycyn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 486
IP: Logged
icon More tiles files. (0)  
In DROD:AE, it was much easier to make smaller graphical mods then in JTRH.
This was because we could open up the graphics and change only how the eyes looked, or only how beethro looked.
In JTRH, if somebody wants to change the graphics, they have to make a complete set of graphics.
I understand that you don't want to release the images, so I figured out a way to make this happen without having to release them.

If you added more files that we could make, such as beethrotiles.png, roachtiles.png, tartiles.png, etc., we could still use the default images for most things, and only change what we want.
These files would overide whatever is set as the default image, or is inside of general tiles.
Since they would only affect some of the tiles, smaller mods would be easier to make.

I haven't really looked at the source code yet, so I'm not sure how hard it would be to implement, but it would be a very nice feature for the modding community.

Having this added to JTRH may just be wishful thinking, but at the least consider doing it for DROD 3.

04-24-2005 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
IP: Logged
icon Re: More tiles files. (0)  
Are there decent APIs for reading/writing png format files? If so, it wouldn't be impossibly difficult to write a graphics-mod utility for DROD. Just load the new images/edit the individual images in the utility, blit them to the right location on the master image and then rewrite the master image file. Not that I'm volunteering to do this...

04-25-2005 at 03:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : More tiles files. (A way to make smaller graphical mods.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com