Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Inevitable Patch (TSS 5.1.1, RPG 1.2.8, GatEB 4.0.2, TCB 3.3.0, JtRH/KDD 2.0.17 -- Bug fixes and increased performance)
Page 5 of 13
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Chrysippus
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 51
IP: Logged
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (0)  
As another data point, today was the first day I'd ever seen the CNet download section; up until today, I'd had exactly the experience reported by jcobleigh. I'm using Firefox (some very recent version--don't know specifics, sorry) on Windows at work and Omniweb 5.1.3 on a Mac at home. Today it showed up with both browsers.
04-27-2006 at 01:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
coppro wrote:
As a side note, Legendary Architect? I thought that had been abolished!
Of course not! It's still in the FAQ! ;)

Back on topic, have you tried to go to the download page from this thread instead of drod.net directly? I'm not too sure, but it might help...

04-27-2006 at 02:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+1)  
Neither of you could access it because the forum didn't know you had JtRH.

Coppro, because you won it in a contest.

jcobleigh, because you didn't activate your JtRH order, just your (separate) CaravelNet order. So it didn't associate your order with your account name.

They're both fixed.

04-27-2006 at 03:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Hey, thanks! Although the term CaravelNet downloads is quite misleading. JtRH Full Downloads would be more accurate. Also, thanks! I was waiting for the copy to arrive, but this works too!
04-27-2006 at 03:33 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
coppro wrote:
I was waiting for the copy to arrive, but this works too!
Which is pretty much why they exist in the first place. I'm kind of surprised you weren't told about it, which would have tipped us off that something was wrong when you couldn't access it.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-27-2006 at 03:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Well, I was kind of happy and was thinking to myself. "I won a CD. Don't push it."
04-27-2006 at 03:48 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Tim wrote:
coppro wrote:
As a side note, Legendary Architect? I thought that had been abolished!
Of course not! It's still in the FAQ!
No dice - that thing's a bit out of date now. No bug tracking squares, no new tags, still implying JtRH hasn't been released yet, and forum injokes that need adding.

As for jcobleigh's status, memory tells me that he worked on a Mac port of DROD:AE way back in the day. Close to when I registered, I believe.

04-27-2006 at 05:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jcobleigh
Level: Legendary Architect
Rank Points: 25
Schik wrote:jcobleigh, because you didn't activate your JtRH order, just your (separate) CaravelNet order. So it didn't associate your order with your account name.

Sorry for not activating my JtRH order and thank you for fixing this. I can now see the CNET downloads including version 2.0.13 for the Mac. :)

[Last edited by jcobleigh at 11-30-2007 12:53 AM]
04-27-2006 at 01:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jcobleigh
Level: Legendary Architect
Rank Points: 25
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
As for jcobleigh's status, memory tells me that he worked on a Mac port of DROD:AE way back in the day.

You have a good memory. I did work on a Mac port of DROD:AE a long time ago, though I never got it completely working.

[Last edited by jcobleigh at 11-30-2007 12:53 AM]
04-27-2006 at 01:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
coppro wrote:
Hey, thanks! Although the term CaravelNet downloads is quite misleading. JtRH Full Downloads would be more accurate. Also, thanks! I was waiting for the copy to arrive, but this works too!
We call it CaravelNet downloads because it's not just JtRH full downloads. It's for anything that's not available to the general public, only to customers. DROD: KDD is in there as well, and after TCB is out, it will be there too. If you've bought it, that is.

04-27-2006 at 02:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Version 2.0.14 Released (+2)  
Linux patch is up! Sorry about the delay, everyone. Also, setups are uploading now, and should be available shortly.

Alneyan wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Linux: Don't copy data files before reading DataPath.txt.
Would that be why I have two set of .dat files, respectively in ~/.caravel and drod-jtrh/data? I have noticed that a few days ago, but couldn't figure out why it was so.
Maybe .. it depends. What type of installation did you do ? If you selected "personal data", the .dat files will be copied to ~/.caravel for each user that runs the game (so each user has their own copy of the .dats). If you selected "shared data", nothing should be copied (ie the .dats are used in-place, and are the same for every user)*. In some circumstances the files were copied when they shouldn't be, and that's fixed in the patch.

- Gerry

* .dats will also be copied if they're found to be read-only in their original location, and making them writable fails. Since the .dats has to be writable for DROD to work, they're copied to ~/.caravel if this happens. This shouldn't ever happen unless you manually changed the permissions of the files after installation, though
04-28-2006 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
I've made a patch that fixes the imported hold voice loss bug described here. I'm calling it 2.0.14.1. The patch can be downloaded here. Just download and run it to fix this problem in your DROD installation.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
05-02-2006 at 12:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
When patching, if you have to browse to the directory that JtRH is in, the Browse For Folder window sticks "DROD - Journey To Rooted Hold" on the end, which then has to be deleted.
05-14-2006 at 11:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chris
Rank Points: 144
When I run DROD, it tells me a new patch is available, version 2.0.14.1. When I check the URL it specifies, I find that the patch is only available for Windows. I'm running Linux, so why does the message tell me it's available when it isn't?

DROD could be made aware of with OS it is running on - then the scrolling message used could be more accurate. Perhaps some kind of automatic update feature would be a good idea, too.

Was the bug which 2.0.14.1 fixed specific to Windows? Or should I keep checking for a Linux version of the patch?
05-20-2006 at 01:51 PM
trick
Chris wrote:
When I run DROD, it tells me a new patch is available, version 2.0.14.1. When I check the URL it specifies, I find that the patch is only available for Windows. I'm running Linux, so why does the message tell me it's available when it isn't?
The system that sends the message doesn't know what OS you're running. (It could, but currently it doesn't.)

DROD could be made aware of with OS it is running on - then the scrolling message used could be more accurate. Perhaps some kind of automatic update feature would be a good idea, too.
Automatic updates is a bit tricky in Linux (and in more recent Windowses, too) when the user you're running as don't have permission to write to the installed files. An automated updater you could launch as the user who installed DROD would be possible, but there's no plans for this right now. It's not entirely out of the question either, though ;).

Was the bug which 2.0.14.1 fixed specific to Windows? Or should I keep checking for a Linux version of the patch?
No, it's not specific to Windows, I just haven't gotten around to doing the Linux patch yet. I'm very sorry about this. I'll try to get it done this weekend.

- Gerry
05-20-2006 at 07:42 PM
Chris
trick wrote:
No, it's not specific to Windows, I just haven't gotten around to doing the Linux patch yet. I'm very sorry about this. I'll try to get it done this weekend.
*poke*
06-05-2006 at 04:53 PM
Chris
Is the engine still open source? If the patch is available in source form then I can compile it for myself.
06-05-2006 at 04:55 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Chris wrote:
Is the engine still open source? If the patch is available in source form then I can compile it for myself.
The engine is, but I'm not so sure about the CaravelNet part - and that's probably where the problem lies...

Just a guess, though.

np: Yagya - Choose (Will I Dream During The Process?)

06-05-2006 at 05:21 PM
Chris
No, the bug happens even if I build 2.0.14 myself, without Caravelnet support. 2.0.14.1 fixes the bug which causes the voice acting to be lost - that's nothing to do with Caravelnet.

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewsitepage.php?id=98165 has the source code for 2.0.14 apparently, not 2.0.14.1. I've not been able to find the source code for 2.0.14.1, or diffs between 2.0.14 and 2.0.14.1, or a Linux patch anywhere.
06-05-2006 at 05:32 PM
trick
icon Re: The Inevitable Patch (+3)  
Chris wrote:
*poke*
*twitch*

- Gerry

06-05-2006 at 06:24 PM
Hikari
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 438
*pokes, um... whoever does OSX ports*

Er... we're still stuck at 2.0.13? Any kind of word at all about a 2.0.14.1 build coming out for us poor folks who're not using Windows or Linux?

06-07-2006 at 07:30 PM
Chris
trick wrote:
Chris wrote:
*poke*
*twitch*

- Gerry

Oh, thanks! I only just noticed your twitch. :)
06-20-2006 at 02:31 AM
trick
I'll try to twitch more violently in the future.

- Gerry

06-25-2006 at 11:02 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
trick wrote:
I'll try to twitch more violently in the future.

- Gerry

This is the greatest post ever produced on this forum. We've hit the peak. We've jumped the shark.

Close the forum.
06-25-2006 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Banjooie wrote:
Close the forum.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
I still need the Hints & Solutions!

[Last edited by Jatopian at 06-25-2006 11:56 PM : width]
06-25-2006 at 11:55 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Banjooie wrote:

This is the greatest post ever produced on this forum. We've hit the peak. We've jumped the shark.

Close the forum.

Personally, I think we've been going downhill ever since Erik lost all those rank points in the double-decker snookey pull accident.

06-26-2006 at 06:50 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
ummmm . . .

(quiet, nervous throat-clearing)

I was just wondering - - - - -

(looks at the ground and fidgets uncomfortably)

if nobody minds me asking a question here . . . . . .

(bites lip and shuffles from one foot to the other)

emmmm, it's about the "patch"

(giggles briefly)

the one that everyone was talking about recently . .

(makes a conscious effort not to bite nails)

you know, the one that windows people and linux people have already got - - - -

(attempts a "confident smile" and ends up with face looking like a melted wellie)

well, I've got a Mac, so

(takes very deep breath)

is the Mac patch nearly ready??

(ducks and runs like there were ten men and the wee fellow after her, squealing, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sor. . . . .")

Elfstone

07-23-2006 at 07:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
It's going to be a while.

We need to get Mike a Mac. I understand there's a nice computer sale at BYU that is happening later this month, so we'll probably pick one up there. Then Mike might sit down and try to hammer out the patch himself. The trouble is that this would be his first Mac so he lacks experience. I have put ads out and done a lot of asking around for a Mac consultant to help Mike. However, nobody has stepped up. I can try a little harder to find someone, but I may need to do something like write up a tight spec for small pieces of work and drop them on rentacoder.com. It seems that most consultants aren't interested in working on very small projects. Anyhow, I think I'll wait for Mike to get the Mac before worrying about it. I know that we should have patches for Mac versions. It's one of the things that prompted me to look around for a consultant.

This is much more work than a patch, but you can upgrade a Mac installation with the following steps:
1. Export all your holds and players.
2. Uninstall the old-version DROD.
3. Reinstall the new-version DROD.
4. Import all your holds and players.

-Erik

07-23-2006 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
ErikH2000 wrote:
This is much more work than a patch, but you can upgrade a Mac installation with the following steps:
1. Export all your holds and players.
2. Uninstall the old-version DROD.
3. Reinstall the new-version DROD.
4. Import all your holds and players.

Many thanks for replying Erik and for the advice above, but I wonder if following that would involve doing the 60-oddMB download first? (In which case I'm just going to have to be patient a while longer, or bite the bullet and investigate Broadband again).

Elfstone.

07-23-2006 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Yes, you will have to download the full new version file from the website in order to follow those directions.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-23-2006 at 10:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 5 of 13
6789>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Inevitable Patch (TSS 5.1.1, RPG 1.2.8, GatEB 4.0.2, TCB 3.3.0, JtRH/KDD 2.0.17 -- Bug fixes and increased performance)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com