Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold not released today
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold not released today (+8)  
I know there's been a lot of excitement lately about JtRH and when it will be released. People have been following the bar, noting every fractional increase, and speculating about what it means. People have been reading through mine, Mike and both Matts' posts, scouring them for unintentionally released information. And now, we can finally give a definitive answer as to when JtRH will be released: not today. And frankly, we're not sure when it will be released.

Well, okay, that's not really definitive or exciting, but we figure that everyone was sort of expecting a release announcement today, whether fake (it is April Fool's, after all), or real. We figured that at least we can straighten that out.

To be honest, we were originally planning on releasing JtRH today, but, well, you know how it is when you've been doing something for a long, long time, and it's just hard to motivate yourself to continue, even as the end draws near? Yeah. And we've been working on JtRH for over two years. That's a long time. And I think most of the dev team are a bit sick of it. I know I sure am!

Sure, originally it was all exciting. New graphics, new sound, new monsters--it all sounds great on paper. And it plays great, too--just ask the beta testers. It's just that it's a lot of hard work, and the bugs just keep coming. Really, they don't stop. And don't even ask about CaravelNet--that thing has Schik ranting and raving to the rest of the dev team on MSN messanger almost every night. It's not pretty.

So basically, the dev team decided that it's best to take a break, and return to JtRH when we all feel refreshed. Maybe around June or so. In the meanwhile, it's not like we don't have lives or other hobbies. Mike has become a rather competent kite-builder over the past couple of months. Eytan started going to yoga classes. Matt (Cramp) - well, no one is really sure what it is Matt is up to, but he sure does seem happier.

We wouldn't be writing this at all, of course, but everyone here in the forums has been really great and we figured that you deserve to know how things stand. So don't worry, we're not totally abandoning JtRH. It will come out, eventually. We can almost certainly guarantee it. And trust us, it will be really great. Just not right now.

-Erik

04-01-2005 at 10:51 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold not released today (+3)  
Let's say for example that someone did not win a copy of JtRH in a contest. If JtRH is not released today, how might that person not go about obtaining it?

04-01-2005 at 11:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
icon Re: DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold not released today (+1)  
This doesn't rox0r my box0rs. Non-congratulations! ;)

04-01-2005 at 12:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
icon Re: DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold not released today (0)  
You'll be suprised, but I'm happy about that. It would be worst moment possible for JTRH to be released (for me), because I already managed to neglect Java programming a bit. Same for math, but in this case I can say I at least understand something . I have to catch up.

Once JTRH is out I'll most probably celebrate by not playing it, because I have to catch up.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
04-01-2005 at 12:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
So... having just bought the full game after completing the demo, is there any way to continue from after the third level? Or do I just lack foresight?
Edit: Never mind, found it. I'm an idiot.

[Edited by masonjason at Local Time:04-01-2005 at 01:54 PM]

04-01-2005 at 01:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SbCl3
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

But yes, it will get us to focus.

I think you guys shoudl finish and then rest ;) .
04-01-2005 at 02:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Awwwwwww ...no April Fool's joke. April Fool's is one of the coolest holidays of the year! Well, I hope that you guys still manage to pull something on us today.

Edit: Something seems extremly fishy about that post. It's like they're writing "Chocolate Ckae" on the menu but they're giving you a croissant.

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:04-01-2005 at 02:43 PM]

04-01-2005 at 02:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold not released today (+2)  
I just want to inform you guys that I haven't bought JtRH today :)

04-01-2005 at 02:39 PM
masonjason
I'm not at level 6. :P Those rock golems aren't annoying in the slightest.

04-01-2005 at 03:12 PM
schep
Rank Points: 864
It looks like not only is the Windows JtRH not released today, but the Linux JtRH won't be released anytime soon. And the Windows JtRH demo, if I had it, might be likely to run on wine, but I would be patient enough not to bother trying it just yet. It's a good thing though, because I'm out of town and away from computers this weekend. With any misfortune, JtRH for Linux won't be released by Monday.

All this is not in the least exciting. :thumbsdown

[Edited by schep at Local Time:04-01-2005 at 03:26 PM: clarity between unreleased game and unreleased demo]
04-01-2005 at 03:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I'd just like everyone to know that I haven't been hitting the bars all night.

And now you get the fun task of working out whether that means that I have been or I haven't been.

Matt

04-01-2005 at 03:34 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
I can't wait for this download not to finish so I can not start playing the JTRH that I didn't purchase.
04-01-2005 at 03:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
What did I tell everyone? Today is the day! But it doesn't work yet. Check outthe bugs section.

04-01-2005 at 03:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
masonjason wrote:
So... having just bought the full game after completing the demo, is there any way to continue from after the third level? Or do I just lack foresight?

I'm not at level 6. :p Those rock golems aren't annoying in the slightest.
I'm guessing you are joking, since there are no final releases around (to my knowledge) and if you aren't, then you've got a beta version you're not supposed to have. If it's neither of the two, then the developers have played an unpleasant joke on the beta testing team.

However, I personally believe that...

Click here to view the secret text

04-01-2005 at 04:07 PM
egg egg
Rank Points: 64
Why is the bar only on 96.8% when it should NOT be, as JtRH has failed to not be released, and this post is generaly NOT failing to lie.

Just to clear things up. ;)
04-01-2005 at 04:07 PM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
I'd like to point out that the Linux version will not be available ASAP.

- Gerry
04-01-2005 at 04:13 PM
Mattcrampy
Well, this was boring, so I'm going to stay up all night.

Or rather, I'm going to bed, but the person downstairs playing Limp Biskit is going to keep me up all night.

Err, I seem to not be a bit confused as to how this doesn't work. Does work! Doesn't work? Ummm.... I'm not going to cut my losses and go to bed.

Ya know, I think it would be harder if I talked backwards.

Ttam

04-01-2005 at 04:20 PM
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
masonjason wrote:
Just a question about how it works... After you finished the demo and bought the full game, did you have to download the full game, or was the full game just unlocked?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
04-01-2005 at 04:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
No, it's an extra download, which is about 50 mb in size.

04-01-2005 at 05:43 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold not released today (+6)  
While I know that everyone is so focused on playing the game, let's all take a minute to stop and thank all of the people who worked on the release. All of the developers in this game spent years worth getting this game to be the best it can possibly be, and as well can all tell now, have made it about 5000 times greater than we could have ever imagined it to be. The graphics are undescribable, the music is both chilling and thrilling, the storyline along with the voiceovers have the power to make you both cower in fear and laugh, and the whole feel of the game can only be described as 'perfect'.

Next on the list of thanks goes out to the beta testers. Without you guys around, we'd be sinking our teeth into an extremly raw apple. While were were all jeleous at first that "Harumph! Why didn't I get picked?", I'm sure we all know now that you guys were worth your weight in gold and more.

I'd also like to thank all of the non-testers that kept the forum alive during a seemingly time of slowdown and wait. If the forum had been as quiet as it was when testing first started, I probably would have lost interest in the game a long time ago.

Hoo-boy. I'm going to get yelled at for missing people, but everyone who reads this message I think had a important role in this game somehow, whether it be your enthusiasm or your activity on the forum. As Erik stated at the beginning of testing, "In the kitchen some of us are fixing up cosmopolitans and little crackers with salmon mousse. But you can't go in there because it's fracking crowded enough already, and I can barely hear myself think with all the commotion". Well, the food's on the table now, so let's celebrate and get this party started!
:yay :yay

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:04-01-2005 at 06:11 PM]

04-01-2005 at 06:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vylycyn
Rank Points: 486
icon Re: DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold not released today (+2)  
Wow! I am amazed by this anouncement.
It is more like the opposite of an April fools joke.
You have been hinting that this game would be coming out around now for quite some time, but today finally revealed that you had been just joking around about the release.
The release of some truth after all this false build up is about as unexpected as it gets.
I was expecting an elaborate April fools joke from you guys, but instead you did the opposite.

Ok. Now I will be getting back to my not doing of the same thing everyone else isn't doing.

04-01-2005 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

!!!! * 1000000

I have been away for a week.

I don't know whether to be cheering or becrying the tragedy of the day that I have missed.

Huzzah!

04-02-2005 at 01:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Rank Points: 432
It is real and very good.Download it now and play. Go to Caravelgames.com. Everyone is playing now. That is why no one is on.

04-02-2005 at 01:52 AM
jdyer
Rank Points: 327
Two queries:

1. What RoboBob said.

Click here to view the secret text

04-02-2005 at 06:22 AM
Mattcrampy
No. Did you?

Matt

04-02-2005 at 06:29 AM
jdyer
Rank Points: 327

File: JtRHD Third Level 3N1W Victory.demo (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Other
Mattcrampy wrote:
No. Did you?

Matt

Yes.
04-02-2005 at 06:33 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I think that Slayer should have rotated his hook to northwest one turn before you killed him. Seems like a small bug.

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:04-02-2005 at 07:14 AM: wrong direction]
04-02-2005 at 07:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I think the Slayer is just becoming a monster one move too late.
04-02-2005 at 07:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Yeah, it's a scripting bug, it looks like, not a bug in the Slayer's logic. That's easy fixed by moving the orb.

Note the problem with scripting: to make your characters lethal, you need to turn them into monsters. If you spend too much time making them dance, Beethro can kill them.

Matt

04-02-2005 at 07:33 AM
HappyMutant
Rank Points: 36
Wow, the Linux port didn't take long. I'm both impressed and pleased. *buys*
04-02-2005 at 09:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold not released today
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com