Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Roaches in our Midst (March's Lovely Contest)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Roaches in our Midst (+4)  
I'm back, and I'm not going to stall this any longer than needed.

For March's contest, we are going to take DROD away from the computer and bring roaches into our normal, everyday world. No, it's not going to be trying to collect the largest collection of live cockroaches in your house and send them to me. Not only would the participation be low, but I wouldn't want to have to deal with a room full of cockroaches in bottles and have to count them all.

This month, we are going to get you to create replicas of the trademarked DROD roach using normal, everyday objects you have lying around your pad. Yes, it does sound weird, but it will involve creativity, something the forum has so large an amount of, Erik was thinking of selling it on eBay. Using the picture below as a guideline, you are going to create a roach using any medium you can find, take a picture of it, and ship it to the forum. Anything found around the house, office, or outdoors will work - pop cans, books, pens, grass clippings, etc. As long as you can get it to look like a roach, it'll work just fine.

The image above shows the roach used in 1.6 enlarged to eight times it's normal size. While the colour inside shows the third dimension a bit, all you really need to worry about is the black outline and the eyes.

However, there are a few guidlines:

1. No computer editing!! This is all about what you can make using actual physical mediums. If I find a picture of Mount Rushmore turned into four roaches, it won't be an entry and I'll be extremly upset. Simple as that.

2. The roach doesn't need to be 3D or have extreme detail in it. All we are looking for is a distinguishable outline of a roach.

3. Feel free to submit as many entries as you want in either JPG, PNG, or BMP format, but you will only be allowed to place one entry into the final poll.

4. Entries can be posted in this topic. When you post an entry, tell us what you used to make it, where the picture was taken place, and approximatly how big it is. I also ask that you please change the subject of your entry to the corresponding entry number. It'll make things a lot easier in the long run.

5. The deadline for submissions is Local Time:03-23-2005 at 06:00 PM. Please conact me by PM or email (CrazyCanuck00@gmail.com) before that date telling me which entry you want to go in the poll. If you do not contact me, I will choose your first entry. I don't want to spend a week hunting you down.

6. First place will receive one of the lovely prizes from the Prize Pile and a whopping 100 rank points. Second place gets 50 rank points, which is a nice chunk of change. Third gets a sum of 25 points. Any people who have never entered a contest on DROD.net before get 10 points just for making a single, valid entry.

7. For submitting more than one entry, you will get 5 points for the second entry, 4 points for the third entry, 3 points for the fourth, etc. It's a small incentive, but I don't want people submitting millions of entries just to get some bonus points.

Well, get to it! You have exactly negative 995 weeks, 6 days to enter, and the more the merrier! And I fully invite all moderators to at least make submissions. If submissions are plentiful, I may start a seperate moderator versus forum challenge using my own stock of mod points. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. There aren't a lot of strict guidlines, and that will make it a lot easier to decide on what to do. Good luck to all!

-Patrick

03-03-2005 at 10:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Roaches in our Midst (+1)  
I'm in. Roboroach will ride again!

03-04-2005 at 01:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
I'm in as well.

Whoever's interested, the composition of the above roach is:

37 Black Pixels
11 Really Dark Grey Pixels
20 Dark Grey Pixels
10 Medium Grey Pixels
18 Light Grey Pixels
02 Yellow Pixels

I dunno, might help get supplies together?

[Edited by ClaytonW at Local Time:03-04-2005 at 03:27 PM: Noticed difference between Black and Really Dark Grey Pixels]
03-04-2005 at 03:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708

File: Entry1_SockRoach.png (405.2 KB)
Downloaded 647 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Roaches in our Midst (+2)  
For the FIRST TIME EVER, a creature of HIDEOUS proportions has been captured on camera. Protect your women and children as this horror is guarunteed to SHOCK and AMAZE as you reel in DISGUST! All over town, people are running in terror when they discover that IT CAME FROM THE SOCK DRAWER!!

Edit: you know, I should have put the picture here a while ago:

Ahem. And here's the fine print:

This is just a quick entry that I thought of as I was doing my laundry and realized that I have two black socks with yellow tips. I may try to recreate it later and take a picture with my digital camera rather than my webcam, since the picture quality is really crappy. I'll probably also try to think of another idea.

The picture was taken in my appartment, next to my computer (which is also next to the window, which is part of the reason for the crappy lighting.)

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:03-05-2005 at 03:35 PM: Improved the blurb a bit]

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:03-23-2005 at 03:29 PM]

03-05-2005 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594

File: Roach.jpg (861.4 KB)
Downloaded 202 times.
icon Re: Roaches in our Midst My entry #1 (+3)  
And here it is ;-) :

The roach consists of :

9x A4 Sheets (Shredded)
Some books
Some pens and pencils
2 Stones
2 Batteries
4 Dices
2 Glue Sticks
Some Chess figures

[Edited by MeckMeck GRE at Local Time:03-06-2005 at 04:14 PM]
03-06-2005 at 09:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Roaches in our Midst (0)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
...to create replicas of the trademarked DROD roach using normal, everyday objects you have lying around your pad...
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
...to create a roach using any medium you can find, take a picture of it, and ship it to the forum. Anything found around the house, office, or outdoors will work...
Just to clear things out, people are NOT allowed to use the miniature giant roaches that happen to be lying around their pad, right? Right?

03-07-2005 at 09:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
No real roaches please.

03-07-2005 at 05:24 PM
ClaytonW
I must admit that I just gave up on my first attempt... it was far too frustrating trying to move individual granules of pepper around on a paper plate with an exact-o knife. -_-
03-08-2005 at 04:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW

File: 1010cents.jpg (162.3 KB)
Downloaded 211 times.
icon Re: Roaches in our Midst (Entry #3) (+3)  
My first entry: Ten dollars and ten cents

BTW, It's kinda gross how easy it is to find dark, scuzzy pennies.

[Edited by ClaytonW at Local Time:03-08-2005 at 07:32 PM]
03-08-2005 at 07:04 PM
ClaytonW

File: scrabble1.jpg (218.5 KB)
Downloaded 1084 times.
icon Re: Roaches in our Midst (Entry #4) (+4)  
Ooh! Had a neat idea just moments after I submitted the last one:

And wasn't I suprised, it used every last tile to make.

And Michaelina there just came to watch. :D

[Edited by ClaytonW at Local Time:03-08-2005 at 07:33 PM]
03-08-2005 at 07:29 PM
vylycyn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 486

File: roachentry.JPG (45 KB)
Downloaded 1147 times.
icon Re: Roaches in our Midst (Entry #5) (+2)  
Here's my first entry into any DROD contest.

It's about a two foot long, and it is composed of a towel, a windbreaker, a shirt, a belt, two sets of headphones, and an old physics exam.
I even gave it a tiled background using sheets of paper(so it feels more at home).

The picture was taken on my bed, in my dorm room.

[Edited by vylycyn at Local Time:03-09-2005 at 12:28 AM]

03-09-2005 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ClaytonW

File: mouseroach.jpg (119.3 KB)
Downloaded 923 times.
icon Entry #6 Mockroach (+2)  
This little bugger crept up on me while I was playing Pipe Dream. Yikes!

Mouse, two paper-punched yellow eyes, and a USB cable for my digital camera.

[Edited by ClaytonW at Local Time:03-10-2005 at 05:14 AM]
03-10-2005 at 05:14 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I have no idea how but I found the post where you attached the roach image. (I wasn't looking for it ;))

http://www.drod.net/forum/viewtopic.php?TopicID=4&page=1
Scroll down a little.

I'm propably not going to enter in this contest but you'll never know.
03-12-2005 at 04:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
It's so hard to find enough grey fabric to cover a car... :?
03-12-2005 at 04:34 PM
ClaytonW
Why not just find a grey car in a parking lot somewhere? If the owner happens to come out and sees you futzing with his car, just be honest and explain your situation, and offer him a peppermint for his trouble. :)
03-12-2005 at 06:57 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854

File: M_and_M.JPG (22.1 KB)
Downloaded 773 times.
icon Re: Roaches in our Midst (+3)  
Using M&M's on my desk, on a sheet of computer paper :D

Took some time and effort to see how others had gotten their pictures to show up inline. I like to avoid downloading if I can.

[Edited by techant at Local Time:03-13-2005 at 01:55 AM: change the size of the jpg]

[Edited by techant at Local Time:03-13-2005 at 01:56 AM]

03-13-2005 at 01:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460

File: minimalist_roach.JPG (51.8 KB)
Downloaded 717 times.
icon Re: Roaches in our Midst.. #8? (+3)  
Here is a minimalistic try at a giant roach.

1 CD Rack
2 CD Cases

Done on the kitchen floor.

[Edited by Rabscuttle at Local Time:03-15-2005 at 03:22 AM]

[Edited by Rabscuttle at Local Time:03-15-2005 at 03:27 AM]
03-15-2005 at 03:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
egg egg
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
I have made a lovely roach, but I just realised that I dont have a working camera :weep

Any Ideas?
03-15-2005 at 07:46 AM
Arkarian
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
I've had a great idea, but I dont have 60 mates, or a large hill they can lie on in the shape of a roach. any volunters welcome.
wackhead_uk, i've volunteered you already, damn you. i know where you live. :fun

03-16-2005 at 03:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rowrow
Rank Points: 432

File: drod 001.jpg (552.1 KB)
Downloaded 166 times.
icon Rowrow's Entry is # 9 (+1)  
Here is mine that I made out of some toys.

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:03-18-2005 at 10:13 PM]

03-18-2005 at 10:06 PM
rowrow
Rank Points: 432

File: drod 002.jpg (776.7 KB)
Downloaded 132 times.
icon Rowrow's Entry is # 10 (+2)  
Here is another that I made out of... you guessed it. Toys. BTw I never used them. :)

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:03-18-2005 at 10:15 PM]

03-18-2005 at 10:14 PM
Hix
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
This is a better use of Risk pieces, anyway.
03-18-2005 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
As a last reminder to you all, there is approximatly 18 hours left to get your entry in. As a side incentive, I will give every participant 5 rank points personally if there ends up being a total of 15 entries. Blow the dust off of your cameras and get those entries in!

As a side note - I'm still waiting for confirmation on which entry rowrow wants in. I will be using your first entry if you don't contact me, so hop to it!

Note that I didn't want to create an Easter related joke. It just kinda happened. :)

03-22-2005 at 11:57 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838

File: Lego Roach.jpg (22.5 KB)
Downloaded 501 times.
icon Entry #11 (Lego Roach) (+3)  
Here's my late entry.

It came...

...from the toy cupboard! No-one suspected that such a seemingly innocuous collection of toys could morph into this deadly, flesh-eating monster!

Behold! The Evil Lego Roach of Death has arrived!

This is my entry for the contest...

... Edit: Actually, I should also credit my sister for having helped me a bit to make some of the interior of the roach (which was time-consuming).

As its name suggests, it is a big roach made purely out of Lego bricks. I'm actually quite surprised that no-one thought of making one of these before me, although it did use up a vast quantity of bricks, which maybe not many people have access to.

The model is solid, but most of it is actually red (black bricks are not very plentiful, so only the outer shell is black). This is also true of the antennae, which are only black on top, and supported by red and white supports (I ran out of red bricks), so just ignore the white layer beneath the top antenna.

I may take a better photograph later, since my webcam is rubbish, but just in case I can't, assume this is my entry unless I say otherwise.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:03-23-2005 at 12:36 PM]

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:03-23-2005 at 12:51 PM]

03-23-2005 at 12:34 PM
gamer_extreme_101
I want to point out now that I don't want people to worry about quality, only for the idea, creativity, and presentation. If you want to take another picture of it, it's up to you, but don't feel obliged to.

03-23-2005 at 01:44 PM
egg egg
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
agaricus5 wrote:

As its name suggests, it is a big roach made purely out of Lego bricks. I'm actually quite surprised that no-one thought of making one of these before me, although it did use up a vast quantity of bricks, which maybe not many people have access to.

Hey! my roach was made out of lego too, with a chain round it :-O
Wish I had a webcam.

Yours is bigger though.

I hope you didn't steal my idea ;)

[Edited by egg egg at Local Time:03-23-2005 at 04:30 PM]
03-23-2005 at 04:26 PM
eytanz

File: beanroach.JPG (35.1 KB)
Downloaded 460 times.
Well, I made the very first submission, and there's a good chance I'm making the very last one.

It was really difficult to get the beans to stay in place...

Gamer - please use this entry in the poll

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:03-23-2005 at 05:54 PM]

03-23-2005 at 05:53 PM
agaricus5

File: Lego Roach 2.jpg (63 KB)
Downloaded 414 times.
icon Re: Entry #11 (Lego Roach) (0)  
Here is a slightly less fuzzy picture of my Lego Roach, although it is now a little bit harder to see its 3D shape due to the lighting. If the quality of the photograph is not important, then I guess the first photograph is better, since it highlights the actual model's structure better, so I'll use that one (the first picture) for the contest (if using both as two different views of the same entry is not allowed).

However, I'll keep it here anyway, just in case anyone wants a closer (and clearer) look at it.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:03-23-2005 at 06:23 PM]

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:03-23-2005 at 06:24 PM]

03-23-2005 at 06:21 PM
eytanz
agaricus5 wrote:
Here is a slightly less fuzzy picture of my Lego Roach, although it is now a little bit harder to see its 3D shape due to the lighting. If the quality of the photograph is not important, then I guess the first photograph is better, since it highlights the actual model's structure better, so I'll use that one (the first picture) for the contest (if using both as two different views of the same entry is not allowed).

I think the fact that this was submitted 20 minutes after the deadline should be a bigger consideration.

03-23-2005 at 06:42 PM
agaricus5
eytanz wrote:
I think the fact that this was submitted 20 minutes after the deadline should be a bigger consideration.

Oops.

I obviously didn't look carefully at the first post, since I looked at this sentence and assumed that it was correct:

"Well, get to it! You have exactly 14 minutes to enter, and the more the merrier!" [It was around 40-50 min when I posted earlier]

Obviously, there must have been a problem with the tag used.

Edit: It's about 19:03 GMT here (at the time of edit), and this is the tag used above:

negative 995 weeks, 6 days

The value it gives seems to be one hour behind, or the forum clock is one hour ahead.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:03-23-2005 at 06:54 PM]

Edit: Ignore the localtime tags that were here earlier. I was just experimenting with them.

[Edited by agaricus5 at Local Time:03-23-2005 at 07:04 PM]

03-23-2005 at 06:50 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Roaches in our Midst (March's Lovely Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com