Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : These Metallic Gears of Time (Remember, this is a sneaking mission.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
KituU
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 218
IP: Logged

File: TMGoT Temporal Summit 2W Victory.demo (2.9 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: These Metallic Gears of Time (0)  
sorry, now it should be ok

[Last edited by KituU at 05-06-2019 08:17 PM]
05-06-2019 at 07:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
icon Re: These Metallic Gears of Time (+1)  
Alright, that demo worked. Your solution there seems a bit more efficient than mine but is basically the sort of thing I had in mind while building the room :) I suppose if you found doing it that way unfun, though, I could choose not to add the challenge or secret room or whatever...we'll see.

Anyway:
UPDATE:
-Graphics of "NPC Beethro" in TS are now faked to look like regular beethro using screenshotted images. I will ask for permission to do this before sending the hold to HA but I don't foresee this being a problem because seriously, I'm only doing this because of a scripting limitation preventing me from just making a standard-Beethro-appearance character a non-target to monsters.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-09-2019 04:25 AM]
05-09-2019 at 04:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
icon Re: These Metallic Gears of Time (+2)  
UPDATE:
-Added a connection between CS 2S1W and CS 3S1W, officially making the latter a secret room. I also added a few lines to both rooms to "explain" the presence of two near-identical rooms and let the player know they can autoclear the former if they do the latter first (at the cost of it definitely not being an optimal demo).
-Also added a line to CS 1W: One of the stalwarts complaining when a puff gets close to them.
-(Both of the above line changes are also now reflected in the updated transcript, attached to the same post as before)
-Added secret room CS 1N, which connects to CS 1W with a small "mimic manipulation" puzzle to reach the secret passageway. 1N reflects the old version of 1W where there were eyes instead of rock golems, and its puzzle is essentially the US that I added rock golems to prevent in that room. I verified that it is indeed solvable.
-Added a few checkpoints.
-Added a challenge to TS 2W reflecting my "originally intended solution". Hopefully the placement of the scrolls shouldn't create a US somehow; there are two of them because the first one warns the player that the second might spoil a solution to some extent (since I think it's a small spoiler that you CAN get a timeclone to take the stick at all).

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-09-2019 05:27 PM]
05-09-2019 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
KituU
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 218

File: TMGoT Cold Storage 1N Victory.demo (3 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
Hi

[Last edited by KituU at 05-15-2019 09:00 AM]
05-15-2019 at 01:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384

File: Negotiator OGG exports.zip (2.5 MB)
Downloaded 48 times.
icon Re: These Metallic Gears of Time (+3)  
Negotiator voice acted lines from Facility Depths, Clockwork Basement, Facility Entryway, and Main Laboratories.

Xindaris, please let me know your thoughts & whether I should continue this way or not.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
06-30-2019 at 02:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Thank you! Just so you're aware, I won't have time to look over that until a couple of days from now, moving and all. So I'll try to post back with actual response when I have time.

06-30-2019 at 05:20 PM
disoriented
OK.

I figure you can split the audio any way you want, if you want separate files for each line of dialogue.

06-30-2019 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Alright, I finally had time to listen to the lines. I think overall they're very good, I can certainly use all of these. The only nitpick I might make is some of them sound slightly more tired or less emotive than I had imagined, like Facility Depths 2S2W. But it's not even enough of a complaint to ask for re-recordings of anything.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-03-2019 05:46 PM]
07-03-2019 at 05:45 PM
disoriented
Is there anything you want particularly emotive? I figured the negotiator is usually a bookish desk worker, so I’m not sure what she gets excited about.

07-03-2019 at 09:17 PM
Xindaris
Well, not so much excited, but (for example) surprised/mortified in FD 2S2W at the discovery of toxic green sludge where there used to be water below. Or slightly mischievous in CB Entrance when saying "somebody's been leaving confidential materials in the wrong part of the basement". I feel like I should emphasize again this is more of a nitpick. Like, it is present but it's maybe one notch less than it was in my head.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 07-04-2019 04:33 AM]
07-04-2019 at 04:16 AM
Xindaris
Oof, it's been a long time. Last Sunday, Chaco was kind enough to stream a first impression of the first few levels of this hold and give some feedback. I've attached a new update to the first post with some edits prompted by that. Namely:

-Clockwork Basement 3N1E and Main Laboratories 2S1W were inexplicably missing checkpoints. Those have been added.
-Facility Depths 1S1E has added two columns of broken walls/open space to the left to hopefully make the needed manipulation a little easier without trivializing the room.
-Facility Entryway 1N1W redesigned. My thought process after seeing Chaco have some pain with this room, and vaguely recalling other feedback from this thread, was the following:

EDIT: I forgot a change!
-Main Laboratories 1N1E: Replaced the roaches and seeding beacons with wubbas to make this room optional; added a challenge for killing all the wubbas. I'm uncertain whether I even want to keep the challenge, and could use feedback from anyone on if this is an acceptable compromise.

If anyone could give me feedback on the two room tweaks made here, especially if you disliked those rooms before, please do.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-21-2020 10:23 PM]
05-20-2020 at 02:28 AM
Xindaris
Further update after yesterday's feedback:

Cold Storage:
-3S1W: "chopped" the eastern room "in half" so that the player only has to do the "second half" of the puzzle, since the intended solution is extremely symmetric anyway.
-2W: Added a challenge for not stepping on the northern pressure plate before freeing the puffs. This will hopefully imply that it isn't useful to do so afterward as well.

Temporal Summit:
-Entrance: Removed a dev scroll I'd left in here for some reason???
-2W: Changed the wording/behavior of the "no timeclones get a stick" challenge, added a separate challenge for giving both timeclones sticks (graded by putting kegs on trapdoors), as I think this is an interesting solution also. Both challenge scrolls should now avoid spoiling any solutions, so they took the place of the "warning scroll" and "actual challenge scroll" that were in this room previously.
-1S1E: Widened the southmost doors so that it won't matter which platforms the player has, they should always be able to reach the northern orbs once the monsters are dropped into the pits.
-1S: Made one last effort to block the player from bringing Beethro to the south, using orthosquares and a different configuration of the "temporal statues". This time I think I might have it? Also added a brief comment that the security system is off, so it's ok to stop being stealthy in this room, as this was apparently a point of confusion.

Other:
-Reorganized postmastery a bit. Warped Spacetime, the "scrapped rooms" level, is a bit more complete. It now also links to a bonus level, "Inverted Timespace". This is essentially a "challenge variant" of the first level (Facility Depths) with a stealthy Beethro instead of the Negotiator, and different room designs. This is mostly but not entirely done; 1S1E still needs some work. There's a challenge in 1W of this level, as well as a challenge for completing it and leaving through the stairs after the blue door.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-25-2020 04:50 PM]
05-25-2020 at 04:48 PM
Xindaris
Update: Intro texts for all but Temporal Summit finally have vocals recorded, edited and imported. I'm uncertain whether disoriented is still around/interested in doing N's vocals, but I'd love to at least have these intro vocals around, anyway. Besides, this is a start.

05-31-2020 at 10:30 PM
disoriented
Yes I can help with vocals. Sorry for being absentminded: I've forgotten where we left off. What still needs to be recorded?

05-31-2020 at 10:36 PM
Xindaris
Cool! Looking through things, it seems like you did all of first four levels, leaving Cold Storage, Temporal Summit (and its intro), the lines in the ending, and the two small lines in the intro of Warped Spacetime (the postmastery). Make sure to get the latest version of the script at this post, as I'm not entirely certain how old the one that was there before was and at some point a couple of lines were added to Cold Storage. Also, the level intros are below all the in-level text in the file, followed by the ending.

06-01-2020 at 01:36 AM
disoriented
Ok that's clear enough. I'll try to get this recorded soon.

06-01-2020 at 05:37 AM
disoriented

File: Remaining_Negotiator_Lines.zip (2.8 MB)
Downloaded 43 times.
icon Re: These Metallic Gears of Time (+1)  
Remaining Negotiator lines.

06-14-2020 at 02:19 AM
Xindaris
Thank you very much, disoriented. I'm going to have to wait until my desktop is working to look through those, as all my "voice lines" stuff is on that computer, but this is just to at least acknowledge that I saw the post.

06-17-2020 at 09:05 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : These Metallic Gears of Time (Remember, this is a sneaking mission.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com