Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : the Instructor's portrait (an image for posterity)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
IP: Logged
icon the Instructor's portrait (0)  
This is something that I've had for a long time, and I'm just now bothering to make it public.

I went into the files from JtRH, took the big image that had all the faces, and cropped it down to just the Instructor, who was taken out in later versions.

Now you can have the Instructor's face in your own hold of a newer version.

Edit: It got removed for some reason, and I don't want to try putting it back until I'm sure it's legal. In the meantime, I've basically given you the instructions for making your own.

[Last edited by averagemoe at 09-08-2018 04:08 PM]
09-08-2018 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
averagemoe
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: the Instructor's portrait (0)  
Did I do something wrong? It seems to have been removed.

09-08-2018 at 05:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
navithmastero
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 595
icon Re: the Instructor's portrait (+2)  
Just because it's not used in the game doesn't mean it's not still protected by copyright. It's in the game files and thus still property of Caravel. (I assume this is why anyway!)

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-08-2018 at 09:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
azb
Rank Points: 460
icon Re: the Instructor's portrait (+1)  
I was under the impression that the old copyright for using the game avatars and tile sprites was removed; I emailed one of the administrators personally last summer when I was working on King Azb's Arena, and I was told the original copyright holder (mrimer) gave free permission long ago to people as long as they used them only on the site or in their holds, and nowhere else.

I suppose the reason this particular instance was removed is because people can use the image outside of the site and their holds. Anyhow, in this particular case, DROD JTRH's Faces.png is right there in the Bitmaps folder, so you can cut and paste the one portrait and use it exclusively in your hold or as an avatar on the site (but not as an attachment; people can use it off-site that way).

09-08-2018 at 04:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2668
icon Re: the Instructor's portrait (+2)  
Not quite. Posting Caravel media publicly on the forum without permission is still not OK as far as I am aware, but you no longer need to ask permission for small modifications used in your hold.

It was to speed up the approvals process for people that wanted to use small modifications in their holds for enemy recolours for custom elements or image overlays etc. That sort of thing. It's open to interpretation what counts as "reasonable use" here but generally you'll know unreasonable when you see it.
09-08-2018 at 04:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : the Instructor's portrait (an image for posterity)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com