Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Mimic Pushing Under Caber
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
blorx1
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 920
IP: Logged

File: getting under cabers.hold (1009 bytes)
Downloaded 25 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Mimic Pushing Under Caber (+2)  
Mimics seem able to push beethro under cabers, but not other monsters or swords.

I've only ever observed cabers being impossible to get under, so I think this is a bug.

The reason for this is that the game normally checks if a monster is being pushed under a caber and blocks it, but in the case of the player specifically the pushing move that puts you under the caber is allowed for some bizarre reason.

One last note: if you do reverse the move order of the mimic and decoy beethro will die.

[Last edited by blorx1 at 05-27-2018 04:05 PM]
05-27-2018 at 04:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 595
icon Re: Mimic Pushing Under Caber (+1)  
I *think* this is just an order of operations quirk. If you reverse movement order the mimic will be processed before the decoy so the caber check will come after the push move, rather than before. Because Beethro's move comes first, where a monster comes last, I assume what's happening is that, 'is this entity on a caber' check comes first for Beethro and last for monsters, hence why he survives (this check comes before the mimic has pushed him onto the caber, whereas the monster check comes after the monster has been pushed). This is further backed up by the fact that if you turn so the mimic pushes Beethro off the caber (i.e. the turn where Beethro starts on the Caber), Beethro will still die, even though he is not standing on the caber at the end of the turn. This is because Beethro's check for whether he's on a caber comes after he has moved but before anything else, in between Beethro turning and the mimic pushing him off, if you will. As a result, Beethro is considered to be under a caber, so he dies at the end of the turn, after he has been pushed off the caber by the mimic.

I think that the reason why you can't get under a sword is that the sword *always* kills when there is contact, whereas the caber doesn't (it can push too) so the check for swords is different - as soon as there is contact with a sword, it dies, regardless of when it occurs during a turn. EDIT: I forgot to check turn order in this room hence why this is incorrect.

It's weird, but I think it's consistent. I don't think there's much of a practical use of the interaction anyway, but I can't decide whether I think it's a bug or not.

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by navithmastero at 06-08-2018 09:05 PM]
06-06-2018 at 12:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
You're overlooking an important detail, though.

If you push a monster towards a tile with a caber in it, the caber will act as an obstacle. The monster will only die if the pushing weapon is a caber. (Maybe puffs work differently, not sure off the top of my head if they form ice under the caber or under the adjacent tile.)

So whether or not Beethro should be able to survive due to move order, it's an inconsistency that he can be pushed onto the caber tile at all.

While we're at it, pushing a monster into a sword kills on the sword-holder's turn. So not being able to push Beethro under a sword is also inconsistent.
06-06-2018 at 01:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
navithmastero
Rank Points: 595
icon Re: Mimic Pushing Under Caber (0)  
Ahh, good point, didn't think about that!

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

06-06-2018 at 02:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bent
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 92
icon Re: Mimic Pushing Under Caber (0)  
Dragon Fogel wrote:
While we're at it, pushing a monster into a sword kills on the sword-holder's turn. So not being able to push Beethro under a sword is also inconsistent.
Just to clarify: It is possible to push Beethro onto a sword and have him live, and it works just the same as for monsters. If a mimic (#2) pushes Beethro into the sword of a decoy (#1), Beethro will be alive at the start of the next turn, and will stay unaffected by the sword until it's the decoy's (1#) turn to move again.

In other words: Swords behave perfectly consistent (if a bit unintuitive).
06-07-2018 at 01:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Mimic Pushing Under Caber (+2)  
Made the following changes:
* For the purposes of pushing player, caber is now treated like a wall, that is it is not possible to push player into a caber
* Pushing a player into a caber with a caber will kill player

PR

10-12-2020 at 09:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
Can confirm in 5.1.1.alpha.2020-10-18 that you cannot push the player into a caber, and trying to do so via another caber will kill the player.
10-18-2020 at 07:12 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Mimic Pushing Under Caber
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com