Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Just how does TSS's Prologue work?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Camwoodstock
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 112
IP: Logged
icon Just how does TSS's Prologue work? (0)  
Specifically, the opening with the shot of King Dugan's Castle. Just how was that scripted? The birds that fly by don't follow the 22x22 movement patterns, and I also don't think that it's a video file, so I know some trickery is afoot.

Her/him | & | Steam | Backloggery
04-06-2017 at 06:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
icon Re: Just how does TSS's Prologue work? (+2)  
Yes, and it's called Image Overlay:

(quoted directly from help files)

Image overlay - Input a custom set of commands for displaying a custom image effect in the game room.

In addition to selecting an image for display with the "Image overlay" command, you must provide a simple set of commands to define how the image will be displayed in-game. The list of supported (case-insensitive) commands for use in an Image Overlay script is as follows:

CancelAll -- remove all currently displaying image overlay effects. This command is typically run singly.
CancelLayer (layer #) -- remove image overlay effects on the specified display layer (0 through 3)
Center -- center the image within the room area
Display (ms) -- display the image in its current form for the specified duration
DisplayRect (x) (y) (w) (h) -- show this region of the source image
DisplaySize (w) (h) -- show this amount of the source image, in pixels
DisplayTurns (# turns) -- display the image in its current form for the indicated number of game turns
(p)FadeToAlpha (alpha) (ms) -- transition the image from its current alpha value to the indicated value over the specified time interval
(p)Grow (percent of original) (ms) -- scale the image by the indicated amount over the specified time interval
(p)Jitter (pixels) (ms) -- randomly shake the image off-center up to the indicated range for the specified time interval
Layer (layer) -- place the effect on the indicated display layer (0 through 3, generally corresponding to the menu tabs used for placing game elements in the room editor). Only the first instance of this command in a script is executed.
Loop (times) -- loop through the image command list this many times (-1 = infinite)
(p)Move (x pixels) (y pixels) (ms) -- translate the image's position by the indicated number of pixels over the indicated time interval
(p)MoveTo (x pixel) (y pixel) (ms) -- move the image from its current position to the indicated screen location over the course of the indicated time interval
(p)Rotate (degrees) (ms) -- rotate the image the indicated amount over the specified time interval
Scale (percent of original) -- scale the image to the indicated amount
SetAlpha (0-255) -- set the image's alpha transparency to the indicated value
SetAngle (degrees) -- set the image's angle of rotation
SetX (pixel) -- set the image's X coordinate
SetY (pixel) -- set the image's Y coordinate
SrcXY (x) (y) - show the source image starting from the indicated pixel position

As an example, you can make an image start invisible, fade in, display for a couple seconds, then fade out by providing the following command sequence:

setalpha 0 fadetoalpha 255 1000 display 2000 fadetoalpha 0 800

The text supports variable interpolation, so you can have parameters like "$.ImageX$" in the text. Any part of the command text may be inserted in this fashion.
Certain commands with time duration, marked above, may be optionally prefixed with the letter "p". This indicates that the command will not run to completion before any subsequent commands are executed, but rather will run in parallel with the next command. Multiple parallel commands may be executed concurrently.
04-07-2017 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: Just how does TSS's Prologue work? (0)  
I was playing with image display when trying to get a custom element to work, and somehow I completely missed this info. This should help me give my element a visual upgrade. In particular, the Cancel commands are what I was missing.

Gonna make some tweaks this weekend.

04-07-2017 at 02:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Resert On
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 37
icon Re: Just how does TSS's Prologue work? (0)  
How to make effect like flashlight in hold "Blackout"?

07-01-2017 at 10:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Just how does TSS's Prologue work?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com