Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Various ways to permanently soft-lock a player in DROD
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
uncopy2002
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 431
IP: Logged

File: Unplayable Hold.hold (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 35 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Various ways to permanently soft-lock a player in DROD (0)  
See attached hold.
Warning: This hold is very dangerous, try at your own risk!

Idea: Most of the time it's impossible to make a player stuck in a room and unable to turn back because R key always brings the player back to turn 0, and most things don't happen at turn 0: Sword stabs occur after turn 0 (except player sword stab), bridge drop happens after turn 0, aumtlich gazes don't appear until turn 1...

Well, there are ways to get around this, and some of them are incredibly dangerous. Here's a hold to list the ones that I've experimented with:

1S1W, 1N1W, 1N1E: All classic setups, I think they're pretty self-explanatory.

Entrance, 1W: So it turns out the double you place at turn 0 will always perform a stab, and this gives a way to enforce killing the player/a required target at turn 0. Again, once caught there's no way to escape. (Also moral of the story: you shouldn't take random stairs)

1N, 1S: New setups I just found: turns out double placement at turn 0 will cause dangling bridge drop and aumtlich to start gazing! Which means soft-lock traps can be made out of them.

1E: Incredibly dangerous! I'm not even sure how this got through: you can place stairs on an entrance, and specify its destination to be this entrance, which effectively create an infinite stair-progressing loop that can't even be aborted by escape key - only pressing the red X on the top right corner of the window will work. And then you just need to connect said stair at the room boundary, and let innocent players move onto this room.

1S1E: Incredibly dangerous! So, using minimal scripting you can make the player wait on a deadly tile from turn 0. This is incredibly dangerous in a different way: You can break out from this infinite loop by pressing R+escape together, but at the same time, the red X at the top right corner of the window doesn't work at all (presumably because cutscene blocks interrupts).

As a side note: 1W also demonstrates stair shadow rendering weirdness, and 1N1E shows simultaneous player killing display bug: if multiple sword-wielding targets all kill the player at the same turn, all but one of them disappear. The one that remains is not related to move other, but rather from top to bottom, column to column from left to right.

[Last edited by uncopy2002 at 03-19-2017 03:17 PM]
03-19-2017 at 03:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Resert On
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 37
icon Re: Various ways to permanently soft-lock a player in DROD (0)  
Sorry to interrupt, but...
uncopy2002 wrote:
See attached hold.
Warning: This hold is very dangerous, try at your own risk!
I tried using level editor and seems nothing damaged. I don't know what if you play through 'play game' option.
uncopy2002 wrote: 1E: Incredibly dangerous! I'm not even sure how this got through: you can place stairs on an entrance, and specify its destination to be this entrance, which effectively create an infinite stair-progressing loop that can't even be aborted by escape key - only pressing the red X on the top right corner of the window will work. And then you just need to connect said stair at the room boundary, and let innocent players move onto this room.
How to reproduce:
1. Create a room
2. Add a level entrance. Level entrance must 'Show description'. Don't select 'Show description once'.
3. Add stairs on the level entrance (while you can't place a level entrance on stairs) and select the previous level entrance that you prepare before as the destination.
4. Enjoy!
uncopy2002 wrote: and 1N1E shows simultaneous player killing display bug: if multiple sword-wielding targets all kill the player at the same turn, all but one of them disappear. The one that remains is not related to move other, but rather from top to bottom, column to column from left to right.
It's because sequence order. Seems you make the guard from top to bottom (as far I know the monster you place first in editor will move first)(also i didn't check are the guard in top are move first or not).

07-11-2017 at 07:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Various ways to permanently soft-lock a player in DROD (+2)  
Results from my investigation:

* 1E - Player starts on a potion and only available spot in the room will kill a clone regardless of orientation. Not a problem, because player can press escape to return to the title screen or hold editor.
* 1N - Player starts on bridge that will fall after placing a mimic. I consider this a bug, bridges should not drop on turn 0, double placement or not.
* 1E - Player is stuck in an infinite loop of walking down the stairs. I consider this a bug.
* 1S1E - Player is kinda stuck in a dying loop with cutscene. I consider this a bug, escape should work normally while death animation is playing.

* 1N1W, 1N1E, 1S1W, Entrance - player is just stuck and any move will kill them or they can't move or can't place a double, not a problem. No amount of code can prevent bad architecture.

I've created threads for specific issues in this thread, I'll mark this one as fixed.

09-29-2020 at 01:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Various ways to permanently soft-lock a player in DROD
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com