Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : DROD: Standard Edition (The Official May Contest)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1062
IP: Logged
icon DROD: Standard Edition (+8)  
As we all know, DROD has many, many elements. In fact, some might say that DROD has too many elements! Clearly, we need a solution to this problem. Luckily, Magic the Gathering has this problem too. And since the problems are the same, the solutions must also be the same.

It is clearly time to introduce the Standard Format to DROD. What is Standard? Well, in Magic, in order to keep the game balanced and accessible (and also to sell more cards), only the newest cards are allowed in Standard. Obviously, new cards are released more rapidly than new DROD elements, but even without elements from 1.0 and 2.0, there are many puzzles that can be made. Which brings us to the contest!

For this contest, architects must create a hold legal in the DROD Standard format. That is, the hold must not contain elements introduced before The City Beneath. Except for the elements that are exceptions. As usual, the winner will be decided by the Caravel Community, who are clearly people of great taste.

Rules

1. You cannot use any elements that were introduced to DROD before version 3.0, other than those listed in the exceptions category. This includes creating them via the Generate Entity, Build and Build Marker script commands.
2. No NPC can use the appearance of a forbidden element.
3. Your hold has to be masterable.
4. Your hold has to not break any forum rules.
5. Due to their massive, overwhelming power, Hold Complete and Master Walls are also forbidden.

Exceptions

Of course, there are some basic elements that you might struggle without. Much like Basic Lands in Magic, these have be judged to be Standard forever. These elements are:

All Floor types
Walls
Crumbly/Secret Wall
Yellow, Green and Blue doors
Stairs
Weapon: Sword
Scroll
Obstacle
Player Role Beethro
Character
Checkpoints

Scripting

Scripting is allowed, with two restrictions. You can't use it to recreate a forbidden element. While your scripted goblin might be neat, it is not in the spirit of the contest. You also can't set the Player Role to a forbidden element.

All Banned Elements

A list of the elements you can't use, sorted by category.

Floor:

Click here to view the secret text

Objects:

Monsters:

*These elements can be created by transforming Standard elements. This is okay. Just bear in mind that people may judge you harshly if you use this as a way to avoid the restrictions.

Prizes!

Schik has kindly given this contest the Official Stamp of Approval, so we have official prizes:

1st Place: 100 Rank Points, and a goody from the Prize Pile
2nd Place: 50 Ranks Points
3rd Place: 25 Rank Points

If this is your first official contest you also get 10 Rank Points just for participating.

Submission

Submit all entries to the submission thread.

The deadline is the 22nd of May, or negative 413 weeks, 2 days from now.

[Last edited by hyperme at 05-01-2016 05:57 PM]
05-01-2016 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: DROD: Standard Edition (0)  
Sure, I'll give this a shot! This idea sounds neat! :D

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

05-01-2016 at 05:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Custom media is okay, providing it doesn't show forbidden elements.

Holds can be any size, but you might do less well if you submit a 100 room mega-hold.

05-02-2016 at 10:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2670
icon Re: DROD: Standard Edition (+5)  
It might be easier for some people to think in terms of allowed elements instead of banned elements, so here's what you can use from each tab in the editor:

Wall Tab

Checkpoint Tab

Orb Tab

Roach Tab

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 05-04-2016 08:51 PM]
05-02-2016 at 11:41 AM
kieranmillar
I made an omission in the above list, open red and black doors are allowed, but not the regular closed versions. hyperme has confirmed as such.
05-04-2016 at 08:52 PM
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
Because I want to be absolutely safe: Is a scripted character with the in-game model "citizen" but using the "Negotiator" talk-portrait allowed?

Here are some links to Things!

05-05-2016 at 03:48 PM
hyperme
Since portraits have no in-game effect, that's okay.

05-05-2016 at 04:52 PM
Xindaris
So, being fairly close to my entry's completion, I thought to myself, "it would be nice if I could have someone else try this out so it's not just me looking for issues." I struck on the idea of maybe trading work with someone else in the competition, where we each look over the other's hold in all the various ways a tester would a hold in the architecture forum. It'd be a fair trade since both of us would be sincerely trying to help the other's hold be as good as possible (or at least not be buggy and full of leaks).

But I'm not entirely sure if everyone would consider that fair? So I'm bringing it up here before attempting. If there's someone who'd feel cheated if some pair of contestants tested each others' holds I can just not do it. Of course, it might be a moot point if nobody else even wants to trade holds with me for testing in the first place.

05-11-2016 at 04:11 PM
kieranmillar
icon Re: DROD: Standard Edition (+1)  
One issue with getting together with another entrant to test each other's holds is that often the submissions are released anonymously so that people vote without being swayed by who made it. If you see other people's submissions before the voting, then this wouldn't be the case.

I mean I guess there's nothing against it. It's not like its against the rules, but it's not really been the done thing for contests as far as I'm aware. Or maybe its always just been me that submits to contests without any testing by other people, I dunno.
05-13-2016 at 08:18 PM
Xindaris
I hadn't considered the voting anonymity issue, but I think it would be mitigated by only one other person knowing whose a particular entry is. Not to mention, it's not entirely advantageous: If someone has seen a hold before in lots of detail and suggested improvements, even with some improvements made they might be inclined to judge it more harshly or in more detail. Not even necessarily intentionally, maybe even just because of the familiarity.

All that being said, I know it isn't explicitly against the rules and was more inquiring how people felt about whether it feels unfair. I'm not even sure if there's time left in this contest to do it anyway, and nobody has exactly come forward as saying they wanted to trade hold-testings with me as of yet. Maybe it's an idea to consider for future contests, though, as it could improve the overall quality of entries and the resulting compilation hold.

[Last edited by Xindaris at 05-14-2016 02:24 AM]
05-14-2016 at 02:23 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : DROD: Standard Edition (The Official May Contest)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com