Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Scripting and Platforms (Someone's probably already mentioned this...)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Xindaris
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1531
IP: Logged
icon Scripting and Platforms (+1)  
At present, the myscript variables can be used to check for and build platforms over water/pit; I haven't tested what happens when they're checked for but that seems likely enough to behave. But if you use it to build them, it makes the area walkable and right-clicking names it as the expected tiles, but it LOOKS like the tiles "under" it (water/pit depending on the platform) and it can't be moved like a platform. I've done no extensive testing of this strange object because I suspect the DROD code doesn't like it.

I'm not totally sure whether this is a feature request or a bug, mostly I'm just curious as to why "building" platforms is so badly misbehaved and whether there's any way to make it behave itself as expected (i.e., I tell it to build a rectangle of platform, it becomes a movable section of platform in that shape). If that is possible and got fixed it seems like a good idea to add the platforms the "proper" build/wait for lists; if not, then obviously not.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Xindaris at 11-20-2015 06:24 PM]
11-20-2015 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: Scripting and Platforms (0)  
Xindaris wrote:
I'm just curious as to why "building" platforms is so badly misbehaved and whether there's any way to make it behave itself as expected
Because it was never coded properly. There are some default behaviors for all tile types, for most they work fine, for others (like pressure plates, doors or platforms) they are not. It'll be fixed but not for 5.1 so until it is this is undefined and likely to change behavior :).

11-20-2015 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Xindaris
Rank Points: 1531
That's fine, I just wanted to call some attention to the issue since (at least through some google searches) there didn't seem to be a thread about it in bugs or feature requests until now. I might be wrong about that though.

Here are some links to Things!
Click here to view the secret text

11-21-2015 at 03:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
D.Craven_0ne
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 201

File: Pathmap_Platforming.hold (887 bytes)
Downloaded 62 times.
License: Public Domain
I'll just ask a quick question here cos it's platform related.
Does this crash for anyone else? :P

Al it is, is a civ trying to use a raft with the imperative Pathfinding.

If this has been posted or something(fixed) just ignore me.

01-22-2016 at 08:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
This same issue exists in DROD RPG. For now, I'm going to change Build Tile commands in both games to not allow building platform tiles. If we want to implement platform building properly in the future, this constraint can be relaxed.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-23-2016 at 02:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
mrimer wrote:
This same issue exists in DROD RPG. For now, I'm going to change Build Tile commands in both games to not allow building platform tiles. If we want to implement platform building properly in the future, this constraint can be relaxed.
Mike, in my reworks of the build command I've already included this change so you can leave TSS as-is. (Speaking of which I am hoping to get the PR out today)

01-23-2016 at 03:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
D.Craven_0ne
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 201
I know it may not have been a great idea to use this topic to mention a diferent issue, but i wasn't talking about generated platforms.

An NPC using civilian as its base with imperative Pathfinding crashes the game when trying to use a platform. (Mine atleast)

Since I don't know if this has been fixed already? is why i posted that one room hold thing and asked if it crashes for anyone else?

It has nothing to do with building platforms.

01-23-2016 at 04:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
skell wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Mike, in my reworks of the build command I've already included this change so you can leave TSS as-is. (Speaking of which I am hoping to get the PR out today)
Oops! I already committed a change to prevent building platform tiles this morning. If you're adding support for building platforms in a PR, please feel free to remove my commit.

01-23-2016 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
D.Craven_0ne wrote:
I know it may not have been a great idea to use this topic to mention a diferent issue, but i wasn't talking about generated platforms.

An NPC using civilian as its base with imperative Pathfinding crashes the game when trying to use a platform. (Mine atleast)

Since I don't know if this has been fixed already? is why i posted that one room hold thing and asked if it crashes for anyone else?

It has nothing to do with building platforms.
Yes, please report separate issues in separate topics. Your report will probably get lost here. Also, please try to reproduce this issue using the latest beta patch posted on the 5.1 thread.

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-23-2016 06:39 PM]
01-23-2016 at 06:38 PM
skell
icon Re: Scripting and Platforms (+1)  
Fixed together with: http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=40635&page=0

It is no longer possible to build platforms.

01-24-2016 at 07:57 PM
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2434
As of 5.1.0.6462, both kinds of platforms are still in the build list. However, nothing happens if you build them.

Attempting to place build markers for them results in an error beep.
02-18-2016 at 04:21 AM
skell
icon Re: Scripting and Platforms (+2)  
Things fixed for the release candidate after 5.1.0.6462:
- Platforms are no longer on the list of either Build and Build marker.
- It's impossible to attempt to build platforms even when using _MyScriptF (their ID's are 53 and 54)

02-18-2016 at 04:36 PM
Dragon Fogel
Can confirm that neither type of platform is in the build or build marker lists now. Haven't tested MyScript, as I'm not really familiar with how to use that.
02-26-2016 at 06:42 PM
Dragon Fogel
Can now confirm that nothing happens when trying to directly build or place build markers for platforms with MyScriptF. (By the way, the numbers are actually 52 and 53; 54 is Floor Mosaic.)

[Last edited by Dragon Fogel at 02-28-2016 04:57 AM]
02-28-2016 at 04:48 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Scripting and Platforms (Someone's probably already mentioned this...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com