Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The (unofficial) contest for June: What You See is What You Get
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Insoluble
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1638
IP: Logged
icon The (unofficial) contest for June: What You See is What You Get (+10)  
Hey, We haven’t had a contest in a bit. So while we all eagerly await part 2 of the Eighth Fairy Tales contest, why not have a little unofficial thing?

The (unofficial?) contest for June: What You See is What You Get

You’re making your way through Advanced Concepts and get to the Brain level. All of a sudden, you notice the walls of the room form a familiar shape. A quick peak at the mini-map reveals that – yes indeed! This room is designed to look like a giant brain! The very element it is supposed to showcase.

(room image secreted for length)
Click here to view the secret text

We’ve all seen this sort of thing before of course. The earliest case I can think of is back in Claythro Tower. The final level had a series of rooms focusing on one or two elements in which the element in questions was writ large in the architecture. My favorite is the serpent room with a giant serpent made from trap doors:

What to do:
So what is the contest you ask? Simply this. Design a one room hold that focuses on a particular element or group of elements. Those elements must be somehow depicted artistically on a large scale using the room architecture. Ideally, it should be possible to identify your picture from the mini-map. Only standard game elements should be used, no custom artwork.

The depiction doesn’t have to be an exact replica, but should somehow be integrated with the puzzle. For example, a more recent use of this technique was done in the Elemental Showcase 5.0 hold. A room focusing on constructs had a terrific depiction of a giant robot in the middle. It doesn’t look exactly like the construct art in the game, but the idea comes across perfectly. Bonus points for the fact that the elements making up the picture figure prominently in the puzzle

EDIT: Just to clarify what you should be striving for. The ideal first place submission will have both a super cool puzzle using an element, an awesome room art image depicting the same element, and some sort of synergy between the two (i.e. the elements that make up the image are also part of the puzzle.) Criteria for judging will be based on the following three things in no particular order:
1) How fun, interesting, and creative was the puzzle, and how important was the selected element to it?
2) How creative and interesting was the room image of the element?
3) Did the room elements that made up the picture integrate with the puzzle?

So given all that, we'll all pretty much just vote for the room that we liked the best as always, so just have fun with it and try to go with the spirit of the contest as best you can. Good luck!

The rules:
1) Anyone interested in taking part can submit up to three entries.
2) Each entry must contain one puzzle room. Your puzzle room should be designed so that the walls, floor, ect. of the room form an image of the element you are choosing to focus on. The room should contain some sort of puzzle that makes use of that element.
3) Include one other empty room acting as an entrance to your puzzle room. This will make assembling a compilation hold a bit easier.
4) No custom media. This is art through architecture only.
5) Your room must be solvable from the entrance. If you have challenge scrolls, the challenge must be scripted and possible to complete.
6) Your hold must be compatible with build 6060
7) Submissions are due Local Time:06-22-2015 at 01:00 PM which means that you either have negative 460 weeks, 3 days left to submit your entry or that I have no idea how to use local time tags.

To submit your spectacular winning entry, go to the Submissions thread.

Prizes:
First place contestant will earn a warm place in my heart as a master architect and the eternal respect of the DROD community, along with 5 rank points. (UPDARE: Pinnacle has generously donated a Smitemaster's Selection credit as the tasty icing on the cake for first place prize. As though a special place in my heart wasn't enough incentive.
Second place contestant will earn a warm place in my heart as a master architect and the eternal respect of the DROD community, along with 3 rank points.
Third place contestant just gets the heart thing. Hey this is an unofficial contest and I only have 8 of these to give out!

Okay, ignore all of that. I've been informed by Schik that a new mod point production facility is about to come online and that the surplus will be diverted to winners of this contest. So here are the revised prizes.

First place contestant will earn 100 Rank points and a Smitemaster's Selection credit generously donated by Pinnacle.
Second place contestant will earn 50 Rank points.
Third place contestant will earn 25 Rank points.
You will all of course still earn a place in my heart for your architectural excellence.

[Last edited by Insoluble at 06-04-2015 08:55 PM]
06-04-2015 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: The (unofficial) contest for June: What You See is What You Get (+1)  
Sure, why not? This should be a fun architecturing exercise. :D

I'm in!

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

06-04-2015 at 09:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
I'll give it a try. I'm not sure that I'll make anything, but I'll try.
06-04-2015 at 11:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DimWiddy
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 85
icon Re: The (unofficial) contest for June: What You See is What You Get (+2)  
Ooh baby. I only tried DROD for the first time a month or two ago but this looks like a really fun idea, too cool to pass up. :thumbsup

[Last edited by DimWiddy at 06-06-2015 09:48 AM]
06-06-2015 at 08:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DimWiddy
Okay, one question: does the entrance room have to be COMPLETELY empty, or does it just have to not contain a puzzle? I have some pretty neat concepts for the entry room for one of my entries.

06-14-2015 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insoluble
icon Re: The (unofficial) contest for June: What You See is What You Get (0)  
DimWiddy wrote:
Okay, one question: does the entrance room have to be COMPLETELY empty, or does it just have to not contain a puzzle? I have some pretty neat concepts for the entry room for one of my entries.

It's okay to have a bit of spillover into the entry room, the main reason for having it is so that the puzzle room has a clear entrance. I'm hoping to make a compilation hold with all the entries on a single floor. If your entry room is not completely empty, I'll probably try to incorporate as much of it as possible into the compilation hold. I would ask that the entry room be free of puzzles though. I'm also going to encourage people to vote on entries based only on the puzzle room. Thanks for your interest in the contest. Feel free to ask if there are any more questions!

06-14-2015 at 01:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DimWiddy
Okay, well, should there be stairs? Will each of these rooms be a separate level like with the Secret Santa Compilation Hold?

06-14-2015 at 03:32 AM
D.Craven_0ne
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 201
Well...
Insoluble wrote:
"I'm hoping to make a compilation hold with all the entries on a single floor."
As in if you reeeealy wan it, he can probably put it on a separate floor, but he'd prefer if it was on the same, as all the others.

-Also since you asked this here and not in a pm, peeps might know witch one's your entry.

Speeking of entries, how many are there so far?

06-14-2015 at 07:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DimWiddy
Oh, pfffff. Sorry, I'm new around here. Don't know proper Caravel Forum etiquette yet...

[Last edited by DimWiddy at 06-14-2015 07:50 AM]
06-14-2015 at 07:45 AM
Insoluble
DimWiddy wrote:
Oh, pfffff. Sorry, I'm new around here. Don't know proper Caravel Forum etiquette yet...

No worries! And welcome to the forum. It's a pretty friendly community on the whole. And thanks again for your interest in the contest. I didn't really start getting active in the forums until the Elemental Showcase contest, so I know these can be a great way to become involved. Happy architecting!

D.Craven_0ne wrote:
Speeking of entries, how many are there so far?

I'm not sure if I'm supposed to say so, but I'll do it anyway. At the moment there are three official entries. But at least two three other people have indicated that they plan on entering something into the contest, and one or two people are on the fence. We have about a week to go, so get those submissions in!

06-14-2015 at 10:54 PM
DimWiddy
Insoluble wrote:
We have about a week to go, so get those submissions in!

Well, then I should probably learn this right away as it's relevant now: are we allowed to resubmit and update entries as we improve them, or are all entries final?

06-14-2015 at 11:11 PM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2384
You can edit your post on the submission thread until the contest deadline.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
06-15-2015 at 12:32 AM
Insoluble
Wow, some great submissions have been made so far! As deadline for the contest draws near, I'd ask that anyone who need a little bit of extra time to finish off their entry send me a PM to let me know. Otherwise, I'll try to have a compilation hold and voting thread set up in a day or so.

EDIT: And that's that. All ten entries have been compiled into a compilation hold and voting is now open. The voting thread can be found here:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=39836

[Last edited by Insoluble at 06-23-2015 06:56 AM]
06-22-2015 at 11:38 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : The (unofficial) contest for June: What You See is What You Get
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com