Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Curse of Multiple Undo. (All puzzles that can be made, will.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon The Curse of Multiple Undo. (+1)  
Multiple undo is good, right? Makes solving rooms more convenient and pleasant. And if you don't like it, you can turn it off.

But.... BUT.......

With multiple undo as a normal part of the game, it encourages an extra-fiddly style of puzzle design. The kind of rooms that defy logic, and require tedious exploration of monster movement possibilities.

It's not good. And Multiple Undo can't be multiple undone! We're stuck with it now.

Click here to view the secret text

Back in my day, we didn't have multiple undo. Or even single undo! Checkpoints? That was the start of this whole mess.

-Erik

07-25-2014 at 05:21 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2386
icon Re: The Curse of Multiple Undo. (+1)  
I would say that EotS isn't as bad as it first looked. I left the secrets until later, and even they weren't that bad.

TA annoyed me more especially because [even with UU] you have to rewind to a previous time clone to change its behavior, and then replay everything afterward again.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.
07-25-2014 at 05:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
icon Re: The Curse of Multiple Undo. (0)  
disoriented wrote:
I would say that EotS isn't as bad as it first looked. I left the secrets until later, and even they weren't that bad.
In all seriousness, I figure I just need to get better at monster manipulation. But it is a less rewarding type of puzzle for me.
TA annoyed me more especially because [even with UU] you have to rewind to a previous time clone to change its behavior, and then replay everything afterward again.
Ah, see I loved TA. It occurred to me that it would be nice to go back and rerecord just the clone instead of everything that came after it. But then you'd end up having something like a multi-track editing studio and that wouldn't be very DROD-like.

Did you try to optimize on TA? I could see how TA would be horrible for an optimizer.

-Erik

07-25-2014 at 05:36 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2386
ErikH2000 wrote:
Did you try to optimize on TA? I could see how TA would be horrible for an optimizer.
-Erik
No, it was too difficult. I briefly had a #1 on the rattlesnake room, but that was done specifically while avoiding the time token.

PMIT did some incredible optimization and I have no idea how she managed such tight solutions.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 07-25-2014 05:43 AM]
07-25-2014 at 05:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
UU makes DROD too easy. We need to remove it.

And then we need to remove undo altogether. And checkpoints. And turning. And movement.

Actually, we should just have the player die every turn.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

07-25-2014 at 05:50 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I Wanna Be The Beethro
07-25-2014 at 05:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: The Curse of Multiple Undo. (+2)  
If my math is correct, we were much bigger jerks for having rooms like Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level : 3 North, Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 2 West, or The City Beneath : Upper Lowest : 1 West, 1 South without UU.

07-25-2014 at 06:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
That's not so bad compared to playing through rooms like King Dugan\'s Dungeon : Eighth Level : 3 East, 7 South, King Dugan\'s Dungeon : Twenty-First Level : 1 East, 1 South, and King Dugan\'s Dungeon : Twenty-Second Level : 1 West, 1 South in Webfoot DROD with no undo or checkpoints. Personally, I never found TCB: UL: 1S1W to be especially hard.

My stuff:

07-25-2014 at 07:04 AM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
NoahT wrote:
Personally, I never found TCB: UL: 1S1W to be especially hard.
I think you either got lucky or you have some innate knowledge of builder quirks. I have wasted an hour or so trying to complete it the correct way, then I downloaded a demo and copied it move by move.

07-25-2014 at 07:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Don't know if your math is correct, but I would certanly think so. I've "only" played around fourhundred of the TSS rooms, but so far one of the strong points of the hold is that the kinds of rooms where you really wish for UU aren't present. I'm all for UU, but so far my undo-counter is set on one.
07-25-2014 at 07:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
NoahT wrote:
That's not so bad compared to playing through rooms like King Dugan\'s Dungeon : Eighth Level : 3 East, 7 South
Yeah, the Three Tar Momma room. That was so grueling to test when there was no undo or checkpoints. It's hard to imagine doing it without those now.

07-25-2014 at 07:21 AM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
I tried it again. It was not as hard as the first time.

I wish that man would stay away
07-25-2014 at 08:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
While it's not as bad going back to it, keep in mind this room was in the level that *introduced the basic concept of tar*.

07-25-2014 at 01:36 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Schik wrote:
If my math is correct, we were much bigger jerks for having rooms like Journey to Rooted Hold : Twenty-Second Level : 3 North, Journey to Rooted Hold : Nineteenth Level : 2 West, or The City Beneath : Upper Lowest : 1 West, 1 South without UU.
Ah, both my rooms. See? I've repented of my evil ways.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-25-2014 at 02:56 PM
Moo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 224
Schik wrote:
Doesn't even need math. The first of those is bad, and the main reason I haven't mastered JtRH yet. The non-secret version was bad enough... Second room was fine! (And decently-checkpointed). Third is just awful... I cheated past it..
UU wouldn't really help a lot in those cases anyway.
07-25-2014 at 05:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bwross
Rank Points: 376
Moo wrote:
UU wouldn't really help a lot in those cases anyway.

JtRH:19 2W is one that benefits a lot from UU... it's exactly the type of room that searching the tree is effective and desirable.

But definitely the other two don't give much in the face of UU... although certainly, JtRH:22 3N will for getting to the west entrance. For clearing the room, it doesn't help that much because the tricky point for most people is breaking into the top alcoves, and that they get stuck in a cycle where they can't make progress. So you can either search backwards to find a spot to try, or just play forwards and look for that spot to try. Making it pretty much the same deal either way, whereas getting to the west entrance is an attrition game, so there's a real difference between backwards and forwards (beyond going for low move counts).

That TCB room was the one I was mainly thinking about when I said that UU wouldn't help with Upper Lowest (but a weapon token from TSS that can kill Builders would be the way to go). It's too chaotic. Most of the times I've failed that room, I've been going along swimmingly, doing full cycles and feeling like I was going to finish it easily... only at the end does failure become obvious. My victory demos though contain things like being blocked for a couple turns, never getting close to a full cycle, or bumping into builders and wasting turns. So there really isn't a particularly easy way to say that a position is any good until the end... and since the room is short, you might as well just run around in circles and repeat it the six or seven times it will take to actually get a pass. Because you'll probably waste as much time if you're trying to think about it and search out a solution with UU. For a Builder room that UU works wonders with, you want something like Lowest Proper:1N 1W. That's a long room, where things can get unnoticed or left too long in the mess, but it's always easy to see when backing up to address something earlier is the right thing to do.

[Last edited by bwross at 07-27-2014 09:02 AM]
07-27-2014 at 09:00 AM
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
I just like the unlimited undo for when I make a stupid mistake and have to go back to the checkpoint I stepped on 50-100 turns ago.

I just happen to make a lot of stupid mistakes.

Sure, UU isn't exactly "needed" or all that "useful", but it's essentially an extended version of the original single undo, which is an anti-frustration measure for when you make stupid mistakes.

If you're the type that doesn't make lots of stupid mistakes or doesn't feel frustrated when you have to repeat virtually the same moveset for the next 50-100, you're probably not going to have much use out of UU, but I find it to be an excellent feature to reduce all kinds of frustrations. (Saying that it makes the game a easier is kind of an empty argument since room solutions, especially in later holds like TCB and TSS, require you to uncover a certain course of actions, rather than a super specific moveset)

Bottom-line: I really enjoy the UU feature, but that's just my opinion on how I personally enjoy the game. :)

07-27-2014 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
enzi666
Rank Points: 161
As someone who started with AE, undo feels like cheating. In AE every mistake was your end. The 3 tar mothers took me several hours. Doing this was a milestone in gaming for me.

Now, I replayed KDD a few days ago with 3 undos. Took me around 20 hours to finish and the 3 tar mother room was in-out-done.

During those years a lot of DROD synapse building was going on but still. KDD surely isn't the same anymore. Sometimes checkpoints were far in between. You couldn't just make a turn to see what happens and undo. You had to know.

But DROD has evolved since AE and I can only say it got a lot better. I see it as something like a difficulty slider.

edit: most evil room design goes to:

DROD AE: Finished - KDD2: Mastered
JTRH: Mastered
TCB: Mastered - RPG: Finished
GatEB: Mastered - TSS: Mastered

[Last edited by enzi666 at 07-31-2014 04:08 AM]
07-31-2014 at 04:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Yep, that's definitely the "Three Momma" room of JtRH.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-03-2014 at 12:28 AM
Moo
disoriented wrote: TA annoyed me more especially because [even with UU] you have to rewind to a previous time clone to change its behavior, and then replay everything afterward again.
ErikH2000 wrote: It occurred to me that it would be nice to go back and rerecord just the clone instead of everything that came after it. But then you'd end up having something like a multi-track editing studio and that wouldn't be very DROD-like.
This... Planning ahead has always been a part of DROD... But planning ahead of something that hasn't even happened yet, for positions of things you can't even see... Then having to do it all over again when that planning was one move out... Ugh. When you need to change what you did at the beginning, UU is no help.
08-06-2014 at 12:11 AM
Blondbeard
Yeah! It appears temporal splits somewhat splits the comunity. Some love it. I don't, though. Exactly like Moo says: In a room with multiple temporal splits you may have to solve the same trivial room portions over and over and over. As someone said this is always easier if you don't care about your movecount. If you are willing to spend a few extra hundred moves things get a LOT more trivial. But that's actually something I dislike. There are some good temporal split rooms, but then there's those that are kind of trivial to solve if you just wait long enough, but extremly finicky if you try to be moderatly effective. Temporal Anomaly
is an example of this. I found it utterly trivial if I just waited enough to get a 0 probability of any Beethro killing another. But if I didn't do that I would either have to keep track of an entire move-sequence of a Beethro I couldn't see while I moved the next one, or end up getting stabbed (losing) in a way that felt totally random. I ended up taking the trivial way out...

08-06-2014 at 04:47 AM
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
Elements can be used well, and they can be used poorly. Temporal split tokens are no different.

It seems hasty to me to completely dislike an element based on just a single hold. I feel I've come up with numerous great puzzles using temporal split tokens that don't require tedious amounts of replaying.
08-06-2014 at 05:06 AM
Blondbeard
To be fair I did say there are some good rooms :) I know there is a lot of puzzle potential.
08-06-2014 at 05:42 AM
xitvono
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
I personally am not too fond of temporal split tokens for the reasons others have given. If only there were a way to go back to change the movement of a temporal clone without throwing away all the moves made by the current Beethro. However I don't deny that it has a lot of puzzle potential, and that there are good rooms with it that aren't frustrating.
08-06-2014 at 07:50 AM
blorx1
Rank Points: 920
The funny thing about this whole "I don't like having to go back to before I recorded anything" mindset (which I probably subconsciously agree with) is that you still just entered a sequence of moves and having to go back 2000 moves to fix something is more work than having to go back three time clones that each did 300 moves. I guess it's more about the milestone that clones represent rather than the fact that having to fix things far back in the room has always caused problems.

To be honest, I would not be against a move insertion tool for demos.

08-06-2014 at 04:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vinheim
Rank Points: 300
Do you mean like some kind of macro that reads all the moves you did upon stepping onto the temporal token up to when you actually switch? Sounds like a good idea. With UU, at the moment you die with the new macro input, it wouldn't be too hard to redo some moves/it would be less hassle.

It was only really a bother for me in a few rooms. Most notable is the platform moving one with the mimic and the eyes and bomb. Even in the one with 8 time clones in Arcane Laboratory, you don't have to wait too long when switching clones+it's relatively simple to get the concept and to execute compared to the mimic platform room.
08-06-2014 at 04:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Moo
But with your theoretical 2000-move non-temporal room, after 300 (or any number) moves, you'd be able to see the current state of the room, and assess whether the moves you had already input were doing what you had intended, and if they weren't, you could retry those moves again. With the time split, you can't really do that, as the state of the room in the "present" of one clone is affected by (and sometime completely dependent upon) future clones, so often the only way you can find out if you've got the first clone right or not is by doing all the clones. I feel this is close to the "rooms with a lengthy setup where you have no idea if you've gotten it right until near the end" warned against here...
08-06-2014 at 09:17 PM
karlpopper
Rank Points: 263
icon Re: The Curse of Multiple Undo. (+2)  
Multiple Undo: I have my verdict now.

It definitely makes the game easier. I've just polished off a couple of secret rooms in The City Beneath. Briar clearing, Goblin slashing, and Tar cutting all go smoother. I'm not frightened of builders any more.

My 2c is that it makes the game easier in a good way: less stress, more puzzle solving, more Zen.

It's here to stay, hooray.

08-08-2014 at 06:50 PM
lopsidation
Rank Points: 176
How do you add UU to The City Beneath? (Or import TCB into the 5.0 engine?) I'm looking forward to actually playing the last five levels.

08-10-2014 at 07:54 PM
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4592
lopsidation wrote:
How do you add UU to The City Beneath? (Or import TCB into the 5.0 engine?)
If you have CaravelNet, go to Change Location and TCB will appear in the list of holds, in alphabetical order under C (not T).

08-10-2014 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : The Curse of Multiple Undo. (All puzzles that can be made, will.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com