Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : HexaDROD (version 0.4)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Bombadil
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 509
IP: Logged
icon HexaDROD (+10)  
GET THE LATEST VERSION (0.4) OF HexaDROD HERE
Just unzip and run "hexa.exe"!

Changes in this version:
- Added sounds from DROD:AE.

Previous versions:
Click here to view the secret text

* A BIT OF HISTORY *

I have been developing this hexagonal version of DROD for a couple of years on and off. I took my inspiration from a personal like of hexagons, symmetry, and this thread (even though current monster behaviour does not coincide with brian_s' post's mechanics).

I submitted some screenshots of an early proto-prototype in C++ in this contest (the idea was to submit the game as an entry, but it was too buggy). A while later I abandoned it, and last year I ported it to python (the aim was to learn a bit of it) with a less buggy code structre and added a few more things.

I believe the game is now somewhat playable, so here it is for all of you to "enjoy". You can find a windows version at the top of this post. Just unzip it and run "hexa.exe"!

* THE GAME *

For the moment I have implemented roaches, queen roaches, evil eyes, orbs and doors, trapdoors, red doors, green doors, crumbly walls and force arrows.

I will probably explain the movement I implemented for the monsters in a future post.

To move Hexa-Beethro you can use the keys (I was coding this in my laptop, so I didn't have a numpad):
I   - N
O   - NE
L   - SE
K   - S
J   - SW
U   - NW
Q   - rotate CCW
W   - rotate CW
E   - wait
R   - restart
Z   - undo (unlimited undo! :D)
ESC - exit game

* THE EDITOR *

There is a button on the left-hand side that toggles the editor ON/OFF.

The level is stored in the file "data/LVsaved.txt". So if you create a cool level you want to share with someone, you just need to send them this file.

The three smaller buttons above it are used, respectively, to LOAD the level from the file, SAVE the current room to the file (be careful: it also works when the editor is OFF), and quit the game.

Basic usage:
When the editor is on, the mouse can be used to select something on the left bar and then placing it on the room.

More things:
- The mouse wheel can be used to move the selector on the left.
- The red X can be used to delete objects (right-clicking on them also works).
- Q and W can be used to rotate the objects/monsters before placing them.
- The "activated orb" can be used to configure the orbs by first clicking on an orb and then left-clicking on a door tile to switch between open/close/toggle or right-clicking on it to unlink it from the orb.
- To modify arrows select the arrow in the editor sidebar, rotate with Q and W, and place them by left-clicking on a tile. Right-clicking removes an arrow.

* WHAT NOW? *

I am posting the game so that the DROD community can enjoy it. Feel free to try it, send it to your friends, build levels and share them!

Suggestions and feedback are very welcome!

I plan on developing this further on my spare time (which I don't have much at the moment)... so if you try the game and find any bugs (besides the roaches :P), please post them here and I will try to fix them for the next release.

[Last edited by Bombadil at 04-11-2013 07:44 PM]
04-08-2013 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: HexaDROD (+1)  
Very cool.

Well, it's a bit tough to get used to the keys.

I couldn't figure out how to open the doors on the right side. The orb on the far left toggles the door near it, and the orb at the top closes one of the doors near the other orb. There aren't any other orbs. Also, I didn't have crumbly walls in my room, so maybe I got an out of date map?

I feel like the roaches need some sort of slide-past-a-wall movement to them (like when DROD roaches reach a wall and want to move diagonally, they'll settle for vertically or horizontally instead).

Another minor quibble is the direction of the force-arrows. The north and south ones are fine. But the diagonal ones are on 45 degrees instead of 60 degrees, so it's hard to see which direction you'll be able to exit in. On first inspection, it looks like they're pointing at a vertex of the hex, so I could exit through 4 of the sides. But in fact, they're pointing at a side, and I can only exit through 3, and which 3 is hard to tell. I would suggest that you actually need 12 different arrows: 6 to point at side and allow entrance from 3 sides, and exit through 3 sides, and 6 to point at vertices to allow entrance from 4 sides, and exit from 4 sides.

Eyes seem to have the same problem (can't tell which direction they're facing when they're sleeping).

04-08-2013 at 08:40 PM
Bombadil

File: LVsaved.txt (2.8 KB)
Downloaded 40 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: HexaDROD (0)  
stigant wrote:
Very cool.

Thank you for the praise and the feedback!

stigant wrote:
Well, it's a bit tough to get used to the keys.

It's not that bad after a while (maybe a long while for me after all that testing...). If you can think of any other combination that is more comfortable, I can implement it.

stigant wrote:
I couldn't figure out how to open the doors on the right side. The orb on the far left toggles the door near it, and the orb at the top closes one of the doors near the other orb. There aren't any other orbs. Also, I didn't have crumbly walls in my room, so maybe I got an out of date map?

Yes, sorry about that. I was testing the editor just before uploading and I must have messed the top-orb configuration. I have updated the zip file, and you also can find the room file attached to this post.

Anyway, the room inside the game is just for testing purposes and has no real puzzle in it. You can modify it in any way you want with the editor (and add crumbly walls and everything from the editor).

stigant wrote:
I feel like the roaches need some sort of slide-past-a-wall movement to them (like when DROD roaches reach a wall and want to move diagonally, they'll settle for vertically or horizontally instead).

They do in some sense. I will post the roach behaviour this afternoon if I have the time.

stigant wrote:
Another minor quibble is the direction of the force-arrows. The north and south ones are fine. But the diagonal ones are on 45 degrees instead of 60 degrees, so it's hard to see which direction you'll be able to exit in. On first inspection, it looks like they're pointing at a vertex of the hex, so I could exit through 4 of the sides. But in fact, they're pointing at a side, and I can only exit through 3, and which 3 is hard to tell.

I know what you mean. This is because I was just using AE graphics as placeholders which only have vertical/horizontal and 45º directions (you can also see that if Beethro is facing diagonally his sword looks broken). I didn't want to upload the game just yet (even though I had not touched it since January), but I felt compelled to do so. Maybe I should updated the graphics before adding more features to it if I want to share this with you guys.

stigant wrote:
I would suggest that you actually need 12 different arrows: 6 to point at side and allow entrance from 3 sides, and exit through 3 sides, and 6 to point at vertices to allow entrance from 4 sides, and exit from 4 sides.

I think two kinds of arrows would be very confusing. I will try to update the graphics first and think if something like this makes sense.

[Last edited by Bombadil at 04-09-2013 08:59 AM]
04-09-2013 at 08:58 AM
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
I was thinking for keys a more comfortable setup would be to make it actually a hex to match the movements that you were making. Hence, U,I,K,M,N,H and J for wait.

I wish that man would stay away
04-09-2013 at 12:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil

GET VERSION (0.2) OF HexaDROD HERE

I have updated the game so the arrows and the monsters (specially the eyes) so it is easy to see the direction they are facing in.

Changes:
- modified the graphics for the arrows, roaches, and eyes so they look like they point in the right direction.
- added the possibility to add/remove arrows in the editor

Please tell me what you think of the changes! :)
04-09-2013 at 07:28 PM
Bombadil
The spitemaster wrote:
I was thinking for keys a more comfortable setup would be to make it actually a hex to match the movements that you were making. Hence, U,I,K,M,N,H and J for wait.

I'll implement that for the next version to try it.
Maybe in this arrangement Y and "," could also be used to rotate...?

04-09-2013 at 07:32 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
Bombadil wrote:
Maybe in this arrangement Y and "," could also be used to rotate...?

Yeaaaaars of habit tell me that right hand is move, left hand is rotate

04-10-2013 at 05:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
The spitemaster wrote:

Done in version 0.3 (link at the top).

To me it feels very weird to play with the keyboard rotated...

[Last edited by Bombadil at 04-10-2013 07:28 PM]
04-10-2013 at 07:26 PM
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
It's OK to use the AE media. Jatopian said in this post that the media in DROD:AE has been released to the public domain. I've also seen that mentioned elsewhere on the forum.

I guess there is a thread somewhere about AE where the authors grant the rights to use the media, but I couldn't find that on short notice. If you really want an official confirmation, you should ask someone at Caravel, but I think this is good enough.

This looks like an interesting variant. Haven't had the chance to try it, but I will when I can.
04-11-2013 at 10:26 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Check the licensing docs installed by the DROD:AE installer. I believe they say the v1.5/1.6 AE media are public domain.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-11-2013 04:22 PM]
04-11-2013 at 04:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
icon Re: HexaDROD (+2)  
mrimer wrote:
Check the licensing docs installed by the DROD:AE installer. I believe they say the v1.5/1.6 AE media are public domain.

Thanks for the advice. I have found the document and I paste it here for future reference if anyone needs it without having to install Architects' edition again. :)

Click here to view the secret text

I think sounds and graphics enter the "ALL OTHER FILES" category, so I should be fine. Even though I don't think it's necessary for public domain things, I will credit Erik and AE when/if the game has some "credits" section somewhere.
04-11-2013 at 06:30 PM
Bombadil
Version 0.4 is out! [click me]

The only difference is that I have added some sounds from DROD:AE.
04-11-2013 at 07:46 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : HexaDROD (version 0.4)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com