Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Drod Paper (A couple questions about fair use)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
goldenferret
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
IP: Logged
icon Drod Paper (0)  
I was going to write a paper-ish thingy about quantifying DROD in a kind of visual formal system (you know, in one of those 500-page PDFs) but would require to take screenshots from KDD (1.0) and perhaps using character sprites... just wondering if that kind of thing would get CaravelGames' approval or not. :huh

10-07-2007 at 12:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Drod Paper (0)  
If you take the screenshots in Architect's Edition there's no problem; all AE media was released into the public domain.

I think fair use encompasses short excerpts for review purposes, but I'm not sure whether what you're doing counts.

10-07-2007 at 01:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
I believe that the reason the media in JtRH and TCB is not to be distributed is because media is one of the main differences between the demo and the full version.

So my guess is that you can get permission from Erik or some other Big Important DROD Guy if you want to use media included in the demo, but I doubt you will get permission for the other styles.

That's just my guess. But since you're going to use KDD, I don't think permission is even a concern.

10-07-2007 at 03:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
If he uses KDD 2.0 though (the standalone), the media is the same as JtRH. I personally wouldn't see a problem, but if you really need to, you could always try using someone else's graphical style.
10-07-2007 at 03:20 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Drod Paper (+2)  
fair use was designed to protect research, criticism (which in this broad sense includes reviews), and satire... what I don't get is why everyone else posted that and then said "I don't know if what you're doing counts"... um. it's a big paper about drod, isn't it? so it's either research or criticism, and sounds more like the former from his first sentence. he specified KDD 1.0, which probably means AE, which is open license. but even JtRH, KDD2.0, and TCB should be fair use covered here.

in any case, Erik has posted before and will post again, the way to know for sure is to send email to him explaining the purpose you intend to use the screenshots for and possibly how much you intend to use. here's a link to send him email: http://forum.caravelgames.com/member.php?Action=email&username=ErikH2000

[edit: sorry for the double post, corrected]

[Last edited by silver at 10-07-2007 04:35 AM]
10-07-2007 at 03:26 AM
goldenferret
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
Right then, thanks a lot.

10-07-2007 at 06:44 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
icon Re: Drod Paper (+1)  
Kwakstur wrote:
I believe that the reason the media in JtRH and TCB is not to be distributed is because media is one of the main differences between the demo and the full version.
On a tangent, I felt like somebody should point out this is NOT the case. The media included in JtRH and TCB demos are not any more distributeable than media absent in the demos. Only Caravel Games may distribute that media, and they choose to allow the demos to be downloaded for free.
10-07-2007 at 10:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Drod Paper (A couple questions about fair use)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com