Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : FR: Editing a post in the first 5 minutes since its creation not generating an "edited" tag
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Maurog
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1501
IP: Logged
icon FR: Editing a post in the first 5 minutes since its creation not generating an "edited" tag (+1)  
The subject, basically. I've seen this implemented in xkcd forums and in Steam forums. While being a really minor issue, it simply makes the forum a bit prettier.

Right now, adding an image and then linking to it, or catching a tiny typo adds the "edited" line at the bottom right away. Can we have a little breathing space?

03-05-2012 at 10:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
icon Re: FR: Editing a post in the first 5 minutes since its creation not generating an "edited" tag (+1)  
Yeah, but I'd also prefer it to add the tag regardless if there's another post after it.
03-05-2012 at 04:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: FR: Editing a post in the first 5 minutes since its creation not generating an "edited" tag (0)  
I see nothing wrong with this idea, let's go for it.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 03-05-2012 10:01 PM : ???]
03-05-2012 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
icon Re: FR: Editing a post in the first 5 minutes since its creation not generating an "edited" tag (0)  
Banjooie so eloquently showed why I don't like this feature, as I read this forum by email.

I mean, it's not like I am notified by email of an edit regardless, but at least I know I need to look at the post again if the edit tag is there.

[Last edited by Schik at 03-05-2012 10:06 PM]
03-05-2012 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I, too, have a tendency to catch mistakes right after posting. I, too, have a perfectionist streak that sometimes cringes when I have to leave an edit notification on my post. I still think that it's best not to implement this request, though.

03-05-2012 at 10:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik

File: 10024.jpg (47.8 KB)
Downloaded 615 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: FR: Editing a post in the first 5 minutes since its creation not generating an "edited" tag (+15)  
Well, I've done *something* to help relieve this.

You can now link to an attachment before it's posted, with the new [ attachment ] tag:

If it's an image, it will simply drop it in as a plain image. If it's something else, it will put it in a little box which I'll show in another post.

[Last edited by Schik at 03-09-2012 04:41 PM]
03-09-2012 at 04:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik

File: DmanLvls.txt (11.7 KB)
Downloaded 57 times.
icon Re: FR: Editing a post in the first 5 minutes since its creation not generating an "edited" tag (+1)  
And an example text file:
Attached File

03-09-2012 at 04:41 PM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
icon Re: FR: Editing a post in the first 5 minutes since its creation not generating an "edited" tag (+3)  
Schik, somehow image attachments are now broken or aren't working properly. Posting here because maybe it's possible this latest change you made caused the problem? (Said 'cause I sent a PM with an image link/tag earlier this morning and it worked fine up until recently.) Not complaining...just trying to be helpful. :)
Examples:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=10851&page=128#325286
http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=10851&page=128#325293

[Last edited by Lamkin at 03-09-2012 04:57 PM]
03-09-2012 at 04:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: FR: Editing a post in the first 5 minutes since its creation not generating an "edited" tag (+2)  
Aw man. I had to rearrange some stuff, I was a little worried I might screw something up. Looking into it.

Edit: aaaand fixed.

[Last edited by Schik at 03-09-2012 05:01 PM]
03-09-2012 at 04:58 PM
robin
Rank Points: 842
Schik wrote:
Well, I've done *something* to help relieve this.

You can now link to an attachment before it's posted, with the new [ attachment ] tag:

[attachment]

If it's an image, it will simply drop it in as a plain image. If it's something else, it will put it in a little box which I'll show in another post.

Screenshot of TSS?

03-09-2012 at 06:13 PM
Jatopian
TSS isn't in production, silly. Well, unless the Other Big Project is TSS, which I doubt.

03-09-2012 at 06:31 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
icon Re: FR: Editing a post in the first 5 minutes since its creation not generating an "edited" tag (+2)  
robin wrote:
Screenshot of TSS?
Good guess! That is, if by TSS you mean "hold that's already available on CaravelNet":
http://forum.caravelgames.com/showroom.php?roomid=33627
03-09-2012 at 06:53 PM
Penumbra
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 358
Schik wrote:

Could this be added to the little "UBB Code" bar when writing a message? I still see people doing it the manual way, which is so two months ago ;)

[Last edited by Penumbra at 04-25-2012 05:14 PM]
04-25-2012 at 05:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: FR: Editing a post in the first 5 minutes since its creation not generating an "edited" tag (+5)  
I should have made a new topic for the [attachment] feature, but I never did, so I'll continue the conversation here.

If you look at http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=34687&page=0#343251 you'll see the new inline attachment for audio files. :)

08-09-2012 at 03:40 PM
Penumbra
Ok, when I posted that and used the tag, I didn't think there was a widget for audio yet. I intended to ask in this thread. You, Schik, just decided to read my mind and go ahead and do it anyways.

That is a much more efficient method. I approve ;)
08-09-2012 at 03:44 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Is it just me, or did the username part to the left of each post move down a line or so?

08-09-2012 at 03:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I firmly believe that we have the greatest customized forum. Ever.

Thank you Schik!

08-09-2012 at 03:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Briareos wrote:
Is it just me, or did the username part to the left of each post move down a line or so?
Huh. Weird... will look into that.

Edit: Fixed.... not sure what happened there. Really weird.

[Last edited by Schik at 08-09-2012 03:54 PM]
08-09-2012 at 03:49 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Is it just me, or is the body part of the post now as far to the left as it can go?
This makes 'Legendary Smitemaster' posts stick out further than the rest.
08-09-2012 at 04:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Yeah, it was screwy in Firefox. Fixed.

08-09-2012 at 05:14 PM
Jatopian
I'm glad this wasn't bumped to report the titular request was implemented.

08-09-2012 at 06:27 PM
Trickster
Rank Points: 662
Schik wrote:
I should have made a new topic for the [attachment] feature, but I never did, so I'll continue the conversation here.

If you look at http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=34687&page=0#343251 you'll see the new inline attachment for audio files. :)
Man, that's sweet. Very useful in the Guess the Audio thread. :) Thanks!

Official Hold Progress
Click here to view the secret text

Favorite Unofficial Holds (I need to play more!)

My Holds

08-09-2012 at 07:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rman
Rank Points: 371
If I use the new inline audio player, the audio restarts when it reaches the end… why’s that?

Best quote ever (TSS ending spoiler):

08-09-2012 at 07:32 PM
Penumbra
rman wrote:
If I use the new inline audio player, the audio restarts when it reaches the end… why’s that?

So you don't have to click "play" again? :P
08-09-2012 at 07:59 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505

File: LongAttachmentNameReallyLong.txt (24 bytes)
Downloaded 42 times.
Now posts with attachments with long names look pretty ugly(attachment's name is partly displayed on body part of the post), at least in Firefox.

See, it's pretty hard to read.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 08-09-2012 10:41 PM]
08-09-2012 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Gah. Fixed, tested on current versions of Firefox, Chrome, IE, and Safari.

08-10-2012 at 02:25 AM
Damien
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
Schik wrote:
Gah. Fixed, tested on current versions of Firefox, Chrome, IE, and Safari.
No overlapping with Opera either (at least for me).

08-10-2012 at 03:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : FR: Editing a post in the first 5 minutes since its creation not generating an "edited" tag
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com