Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Fluff (Tar variant)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3757
IP: Logged
icon Fluff (+3)  
It is pretty obvious, that there is a limited ways a tar can be cut while not making these rules too complex. Flat edges (Tar), outer corners (Mud), inner corners (Gel) are already used. Next you could make a variant, where any or none side is cutable, and that would be pretty much it. Combinations like "Inner corners + Flat sides" could be a little bit too repetitive and hard to remember...

Aside from cutability, there are but few differences between Tar+Mud and Gel. The former grows even if mother isn't connected with the clump, and the latter's babies move like Golems and Wubbas.

One idea I had (and it is a drastic step away from all Tarry, Muddy and Gelly)) is something I called Fluff. Fluff is very light, so it grows above pits. It also very easily solidifies when water is added, so instead of growing above water it will create Fluff Babies. Fluff can't be cut - swords just move through it, probably only leaving some residue water on blade which is completely insignificant.
So how do you remove Fluff? By walking onto it, which can only be accomplished by intelligent beings - Beethro, guards, slayers... Monsters (maybe excluding Adder) will stay away from it, afraid of the water floating in the air. Fluff won't grow over hot tiles (it evaporates immediately). Fluff isn't heavy enough to press pressure plates.
Other tars can grow over Fluff and Fluff Mothers (but not Fluff Babies) and destroy it in the process. Fluff is partially transparent, so you can see everything underneath it.
Fluff grows like Gel - it must be connected to Fluff Mother to grow.

As for Fluff Babies - they move like roaches but can fly over pits and water. Unlike other elements they are immediately killed when they stand on hot tile. Fluff babies can be killed by Player, Guards and Slayers simply by moving onto them.

Puzzle potential? This might be harder...
1. Since Fluff over walls and pits cannot be removed, and you can see everything underneath clearly - cleaning Fluff from above the walls.
2. Defend Fluff from other Tar growing onto it, so it can grow above pit and later form a baby which can be used to enable pressing a plate by roach.
3. Battle above the pit against wraithwings with Fluff providing cover.
4. Keeping Fluff at bay while platforming over water so it won't outnumber you.
5. Horde management with Fluff Babies requiring usage of "move onto to kill" characteristic.

I am not a very good architect so these are all I can come up with in a short time it took me to write this post.

To summarize the characteristics.
Fluff:
- Can only be killed by walking onto it, which can be done only by Beethro, Guards, Stalwarts and Slayers (sworded or not), maybe Adders;
- Cannot press Pressure Plates
- Grows over Pits
- Produces babies over water
- Grows only if connected to Fluff Mother
- Other tar types can grow onto it and destroy it
- Can't grow over hot tiles
- Transparent
Fluff Mother:
- Other tar types can grow onto it and kill it
Fluff Babies:
- Move like roaches, but can fly over water and pits
- Killed as soon as they stand on Hot Tile
- Can't press pressure plates
- Can be killed by moving onto them by Beethro, Guards, Stalwarts and Slayers

[Last edited by skell at 11-10-2011 10:15 PM]
11-09-2011 at 04:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2334
icon Re: Fluff (0)  
I quite like this. It feels unique.
11-21-2011 at 04:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Since it grows over pits, maybe the babies ought to move like wraithwings.

11-24-2011 at 04:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I oppose the addition of more things that move like wraithwings. I'll be okay with flying babies.

11-24-2011 at 06:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
I'd rather have more wraithwings either.

Perhaps a movement different from roaches too? Let's say... Only orthogonal moves, no diagonals? ;)

11-25-2011 at 02:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Eh... one can do that with ortho squares. And it would be hard to justify narratively, for those who care about such things like me.

11-25-2011 at 04:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
icon Re: Fluff (+1)  
Jatopian wrote:
Eh... one can do that with ortho squares.
Not quite. You can force everything to move orthogonally - a single monster who moves like that would be a novelty.

And it would be hard to justify narratively, for those who care about such things like me.
Yes, this was one of two arguments I thought and didn't voice - the other one was "puzzle potential" which I didn't have time to thing through.

11-25-2011 at 10:23 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Fluff (+1)  
skell wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
Not quite. You can force everything to move orthogonally - a single monster who moves like that would be a novelty.
But... but... snakes!

11-25-2011 at 09:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skell
Briareos wrote:
skell wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
But... but... snakes!
Snakes? What snakes? I don't think there are any, here, I will even give you a screenshot of the editor to pro---! OH MY GOODNESS! I have played DROD for 6 years and never noticed there are snakes :-O

But honestly, I obviously had in mind the little monsters, not a large creature.

11-27-2011 at 05:14 PM
Someone Else
icon Re: Fluff (+2)  
How about this: Fluff babies are so light, it's hard to really thrust a sword into them. You can move them around like mirrors (if you do, they don't get a move that turn), with one exception - they die if the space that they'd be moved into is blocked.
11-28-2011 at 09:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
11-28-2011 at 09:16 PM
skell
Yea, I like it too!

11-28-2011 at 09:46 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
*squish*? Me like.

11-29-2011 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
They should be moved by any weapon, not just Beethro's. Mimic and guard manipulation, woo!

11-29-2011 at 12:11 AM
Someone Else
That scares me, Jatopian. Maybe thrusts wouldn't even be effective (they destroy mirrors, but not fluff babies)?
11-29-2011 at 02:55 AM
Jatopian
Yeah no one ever moved vapor by thrusting longways into it.

11-29-2011 at 06:59 AM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
Jatopian wrote:
Yeah no one ever moved vapor by thrusting longways into it.
no, typically you split it into two parts on either side of your Really Big Thrusting Device (TM)

12-01-2011 at 03:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Jatopian wrote:
They should be moved by any weapon, not just Beethro's. Mimic and guard manipulation, woo!

Since they're so light, pushing mirrors into them should work too.

12-16-2011 at 09:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Fluff (Tar variant)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com