Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : super dungeon 5 pack (well, each pack will have 4 levels)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
IP: Logged
icon Re: super dungeon 5 pack (0)  
Well, I gave up on Sky Island pretty quickly as I got fed up with having to use the keyboard and the mouse, but the checkered block reminded me of Nimbus - kind of like "Super Meat Boy goes ballistic", i.e. you have to navigate around a level full of traps to get to the exit, but this time in a flying ship with no means of propulsion, instead relying on what's in the levels to provide you with thrust...

(Nabbed it off Steam when it was 50% off recently, but it's easily worth the full 9.99 EUR...)

06-20-2011 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
Banjooie wrote:
Look. Keen was good! The whole series was, in fact, pretty solid, and I do :D pretty solidly when I see games with the same sort of quality and love put into them.

But it /really/ doesn't get to lay claim to best platformer ever produced. You get to argue that only if you're wearing a thick, thick set of nostalgia goggles.

However, you aren't old enough to have the /nostalgia/ goggles, so the only reasonable conclusion is that you're trying to look like an old-school gamer by picking something that you heard that old-school gamers like.

Thus: you're not old enough to do that, Rat Man.
I'm not trying to pretend to be an old-schooler or have nostalgia goggles, but my reasoning is actually very similar to nostalgia goggles, only logical. You see, I'm weighing it against the times. Likewise, I /firmly/ believe that Myst had the best graphics of any game ever made. Not because it looked better than Modern Warfare for instance, but because it was better compared to its time than any other. Commander Keen 4 was the best game from 1991 I've ever played, by far.

By the way, I'm clicking all the links various posters left right now! :D

06-21-2011 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Mm, no. The measure of a game is fun, which has nothing to do with when it was produced.

06-21-2011 at 01:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
...Yes, Rat Man. Please play Eversion.

06-21-2011 at 09:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Jatopian wrote:
Mm, no. The measure of a game is fun, which has nothing to do with when it was produced.
I do measure by fun, but I'm saying that fun does have to do with... never mind, I'll never be able to put this into proper words, therefor you won't understand what I'm saying.

06-21-2011 at 05:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rat Man wrote:
never mind, I'll never be able to put this into proper words, therefor you won't understand what I'm saying.

Anyway, yeah, I too would recommend Eversion. Be sure to get the secret ending. If you don't want to drop $5, don't worry, you don't miss too much in the free version.

06-21-2011 at 07:19 PM
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
Jatopian wrote: Anyway, yeah, I too would recommend Eversion. Be sure to get the secret ending. If you don't want to drop $5, don't worry, you don't miss too much in the free version.
Does the secret ending exist in the free version, or does that only contain the bad and good ending?

Oh and I think I know where you got your avatar from now :P

[Last edited by da rogu3 at 06-21-2011 08:54 PM]
06-21-2011 at 08:53 PM
Jatopian
da rogu3 wrote:
Does the secret ending exist in the free version, or does that only contain the bad and good ending?
There are two endings in the free version. The world -4 ending doesn't exist in the free version. I was talking about the ending for which one prerequisite is getting all the gems

(all of them)

(YEAH!!!!!!!!)

[Last edited by Jatopian at 06-21-2011 09:28 PM]
06-21-2011 at 09:27 PM
martz
Rank Points: 414
Banjooie wroteI have to suggest Eversion. There's a free version here if you despise throwing money at people.
Thanks for the recommendation - I downloaded this today and found it a very enjoyable, if short platformer.

My own recommendation would be Cave Story - fairly sure that's been mentioned on this forum before. While I wouldn't describe it as a pure platform game it's definately a good un.

Progress - Gavin G
06-22-2011 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Rat Man wrote:
I'm not trying to pretend to be an old-schooler or have nostalgia goggles, but my reasoning is actually very similar to nostalgia goggles, only logical. You see, I'm weighing it against the times. Likewise, I /firmly/ believe that Myst had the best graphics of any game ever made. Not because it looked better than Modern Warfare for instance, but because it was better compared to its time than any other. Commander Keen 4 was the best game from 1991 I've ever played, by far.

You have planted the seeds of your own provable and complete wrongness!

The best game of all time, with the best graphics, best gameplay, and best multiplayer mode is Tennis For Two.

First game with graphics!
First game with gameplay!
In its time, games just didn't have game... so considering its time, it's automatically the best game ever!

06-25-2011 at 09:54 AM
Rat Man
Jatopian wrote:
Hey, I forgot about this thread. I'd had more fun with Keen than any other platformer until I played Eversion and IWBTG. But now that I think about it, I actually /did/ have nostalgia goggles. Ya see, I played that game when I was a kid because we had Win95 and a whole bunch of really old games in '99 and 2000 when I was four and five.

Oh, and I guess what I was trying to say the whole time was that I saw old games differently than other games because I played those games when I was a kid. But I was too much in denial to admit it.
Beef Row wrote:
Rat Man wrote:

You have planted the seeds of your own provable and complete wrongness!

The best game of all time, with the best graphics, best gameplay, and best multiplayer mode is Tennis For Two.

First game with graphics!
First game with gameplay!
In its time, games just didn't have game... so considering its time, it's automatically the best game ever!
Thanks, Beef, I'll have to try that.

06-25-2011 at 07:10 PM
Rat Man
Not too far, I just started last night!

06-25-2011 at 07:52 PM
matthewpd
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62
Here is the first one of the 5 holds super dungeon deluxe 5 pack part 1

Dear cnet members i dont intend to be annoying i just wanna learn. sincerely, mattpd.
and if you mod me down your a Meanie :angry
06-25-2011 at 09:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The Architest
Rank Points: 254
icon Re: super dungeon 5 pack (+2)  
Banjooie wrote:
Look, the DROD forum has this thing.

We always have exactly one 'kid'.

Jeff_Ray used to be the kid.
Tokyokid was the kid.
We had Anson.

We had Minimike.

What's odd is we only ever seem to have one at a time.
This one will either shape up, or ship out eventually, and then we will immediately get another one who does exactly this.

It's been like this for seven years, won't stop now.

Wait, I am not on the list? So, everyone thought I was 30-years old man living in his mothers basement? I am quite suprised.

But to share my part to the discussion, La-Mulana and An Untitled Story are excellent choices for those who enjoy platformers where you have to explore all sort of places for upgrades.

[Last edited by The Architest at 06-27-2011 05:05 PM]
06-27-2011 at 05:02 PM
Jatopian
I think we just kind of forgot you. Sorry~ :blush

06-27-2011 at 06:51 PM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Rat Man wrote:
Thanks, Beef, I'll have to try that.

Good luck with that. Tennis for Two was the first electronic game ever, but it was for oscilloscope, not computer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PG2mdU_i8k

Or... apparently the second.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OXO

But it'd still be the first real time game and first game with physics, as the other was tic-tac-toe.

The point was saying 'first for its time' doesn't say anything as such about how good something is, though it says a lot about how innovative or important it may be.

EDIT: Or you know what, lets just say it was an early one. Every time I look into this I find out about something older, heh.

http://classicgames.about.com/od/classicvideogames101/p/CathodeDevice.htm

[Last edited by Beef Row at 06-28-2011 04:42 AM]
06-28-2011 at 04:37 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : super dungeon 5 pack (well, each pack will have 4 levels)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com