Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Where are the old members? (Flippin' fegundo, where!?)
Page 3 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1305
IP: Logged
icon Re: Where are the old members? (+1)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
Wow, I actually remembered my password.

Yeah, after I finally got a job (not in academia, thankfully) I kind of stopped playing DROD. Fortunately I had finished my levels for TCB before getting the new job. I did make a few for F&M and they may even still be in there (I think I read the board a few months ago and I recognized some of my rooms from how it was described by a new tester).

I lurked for a while, occasionally doing admin-type things when necessary, but eventually I just couldn't keep it up. Every so often I get the urge to play again but so considering how many other games I have still in their cellophane (both literally and figuratively) I never end up doing it. I do plan to play F&M when it finally comes out though...maybe it will even be the first DROD game I actually buy! :whistle Not because I stole any of them, but because I kept getting them for free for contributing content...

And man, I stopped saying "Game on," years before I stopped posting...

Game on,
Be that as it may, :onei
06-12-2011 at 04:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
icon Re: Where are the old members? (0)  
I thought Someone Else would make that joke.. ;)

/lameusernamepun

06-12-2011 at 09:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Playing DROD, how vulgar.

True connoisseurs derive all their DROD joy from simply knowing they used to play in the past and pointing out to other people how it's the bestest game in the whole world.

06-12-2011 at 10:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
*bumps into the thread and wanders off*
06-13-2011 at 05:52 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
I'm not sure why I'm still here, really. I have long lost interest in the game itself (not because it's bad, but because I don't play a lot of puzzle games) so I guess I just come here to talk to people.

There are two places on the internet that make me feel old - this forum, and the Kingdom of Loathing. Coincidentally, I started playing Kingdom of Loathing as a direct result of reading this forum. My character in KoL is now more than seven years old, so I've been playing that game (and reading this forum) for approximately one third of my life.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
06-13-2011 at 12:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 121
Oneiromancer wrote:
And man, I stopped saying "Game on," years before I stopped posting...
It never made sense to say "game on," and not finish the sentence!

06-14-2011 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
I believe we were using 'Game On,' (we meaning Oneiromancer)
in the sense you might use 'Cheers,' or 'Regards,' or 'Looking Forward To You Returning The Money Before I Kill Your Daughter,' that sort of thing.

06-14-2011 at 09:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
Ah, makes sense now!

Game on,

[Last edited by Rat Man at 06-14-2011 09:53 PM]
06-14-2011 at 09:25 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Don't you even start, I will end you.
06-15-2011 at 07:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
martz
Rank Points: 414
So, I'm an oldish member, but I don't post much anyway so I'm not a massively recognisable forum presence.

I think a lot of people would have started playing whilst still in education where there tends to be a lot of free time, and when the time comes to get a proper job, free time vanishes quite quickly.

I, on the other hand, started playing Drod whilst already working/married/kids etc. and the fact I work at home means I have quite a bit of free time.

The fact I'm not playing Drod much at the moment is purely because of the numerous other games I'm playing but I'm sure I'll still dabble in it now and then.

Progress - Gavin G
06-15-2011 at 09:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
My activity on this forum has often been in phases (generally I have been more active whenever I am more focused on hold building), but in general I tended to be more active when I was in middle and high school and had more time. I did spend some time during my freshman year in college working on and releasing a hold, but since then, my focus has been more on college itself. Nowadays I also tend to spend a lot of time either on Facebook or following political news. Additionally I have done most of my computing since college on my MacBook, on which I generally only use DROD when running Windows on Boot Camp (because I wanted to be able to continue using AE, and keep games separate from schoolwork).

I think that pretty much explains my situation. It is definitely weird to have been registered on this forum for more than a third of my life (and in four years it will be half my life).

-Noah

EDIT: Thought I ought to mention that in recent years, even when I don't post often, I still lurk a lot.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NoahT at 06-16-2011 08:15 PM]
06-15-2011 at 10:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
NoahT wrote:
I think that pretty much explains my situation. It is definitely weird to have been registered on this forum for more than a third of my life (and in four years it will be half my life).

We now know your age. But if your sister will be 13 years less than 1/8 of your age in half that time, how tall is Imhotep?

Click here to view the secret text

06-15-2011 at 12:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
I should also note that my DROD t-shirt is still in my regular rotation, and in fact I wore it today.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
06-17-2011 at 04:28 AM
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Oneiromancer wrote:
I should also note that my DROD t-shirt is still in my regular rotation, and in fact I wore it today.
*desperatly wants one*

It is good to see people reappearing on the forum, even if only to make one or two posts :).

06-17-2011 at 04:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I'm still around, though really the most I ever end up doing is helping out with Support Requests when I have time.

06-17-2011 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdwing
Rank Points: 288
skell wrote:
Oneiromancer wrote:
*desperatly wants one*

Cafe Press still has DRoD merchandise available.

"Until it ends, there is no end."
06-19-2011 at 12:39 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I'm still here though my addiction has waned. Waiting for the Caravel patch before I get back into it...
06-19-2011 at 05:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jdyer
Rank Points: 329
I'm still hanging. I've been teaching on a college faculty this year but will go back to high school teaching next year. And I've got a 2 year old.
06-21-2011 at 11:52 PM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
Hey, good to see you jdyer. For newer players who may not have heard of him, jdyer has some excellent holds out there to play.

[Last edited by Schik at 06-22-2011 12:51 AM]
06-22-2011 at 12:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Where are the old members? (+3)  
You know what would be cool, Schik? If we could see what holds a person has submitted in his/her profile. Because the only one I see attributed to jdyer in the holds list is Floor 33.

Also this. That'd be cool.

06-22-2011 at 01:53 AM
martz
Rank Points: 414
icon Re: Where are the old members? (+3)  
He was also responsible for A Quiet Place which is definately one of the better AE holds.

Progress - Gavin G
06-22-2011 at 09:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Pekka
Rank Points: 302
I'm not really an old member, am I? I'm just slightly aged :)

I did make one hold once and I might make another some day. I have been lurking here now and then in the meantime. I'm now thinking that I could possibly be a bit more active, and contribute some things too. We'll see.

DROD is still my favorite puzzle game. I don't play it every day, but I know where it is in case I want it.
06-23-2011 at 09:15 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Where are the old members? (+8)  
Jatopian wrote:
You know what would be cool, Schik? If we could see what holds a person has submitted in his/her profile. Because the only one I see attributed to jdyer in the holds list is Floor 33.
It would be cool. It's done! There are links on the profile page and below each post, a la the highscore links.

Edit: Of course the link for me is broken, since I've only uploaded the official holds, and they don't show up on the holds.php page.

[Last edited by Schik at 06-27-2011 09:09 PM]
06-27-2011 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Schik wrote:
It would be cool. It's done! There are links on the profile page and below each post, a la the highscore links..
Oh very good - and I like the little hammer/mallet picture.

Thanks Schik! :thumbsup

06-27-2011 at 09:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
I don't see it. Do you need CNet or something?

06-27-2011 at 09:21 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Rat Man wrote:

Umm, I could see it even while logged out. Obviously, though, I could see it only under posts of people who have published any holds. EDIT: except that there's mallet under 12th archivist's posts(he has no holds published) for some reason.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 06-27-2011 11:41 PM]
06-27-2011 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Rat Man wrote:

You can't see a little mallet-thingy in the icons at the bottom of my post above yours? - at the right hand of the 5 icons?
Maybe it is a Cnet thing then. :(
Edit: ooops - post collision

[Last edited by Elfstone at 06-27-2011 09:26 PM]
06-27-2011 at 09:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rat Man
How strange... I refreshed the page to show this post and then I could see them. And on one of my other Caravel Forum tabs, I could see them and on the other one I couldn't. I think it's got something to do with my web browser.

06-27-2011 at 09:30 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Ctrl+F5 to do a hard refresh; it might be a cache issue.

06-27-2011 at 10:36 PM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
mxvladi wrote:
except that there's mallet under 12th archivist's posts(he has no holds published) for some reason.
12th has a published RPG hold. :)

[Last edited by Lamkin at 06-29-2011 04:18 AM]
06-27-2011 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 3 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Where are the old members? (Flippin' fegundo, where!?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com