Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Dual Thinking (One Story, Two Heros, Some Scripting And Bosses)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
IP: Logged
icon Re: Dual Thinking (+5)  
Whew! That was a lot of replaying needed to get those secrets. Thanks for the help. I've now postmastered this hold.

Regarding the use of Caravel's media, you should always ask, even if you're pretty sure the answer will be "yes". I've been gone for a while, but it looks like I still have the "power" to hand out permissions. Please see this post.

Tahnan's a good writer. You might consider accepting his offer of proofreading help. To export the all the text from your hold, set "ExportText=1" in your drod.ini, restart DROD, and re-export your hold.

Finally, here are some more specific comments on the puzzles.

Carlos Level 1
Click here to view the secret text

Bill Level 1

Carlos Level 2

Bill Level 2

Carlos Level 3

Bill Level 3

Epilogue

Boss Fights

While there are a few really good puzzles in this holds, and a lot of other okay puzzles, the sum is definitely greater than its parts. The puzzles work together with the words to tell a very good story. I really enjoyed this hold. :)
10-03-2010 at 11:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Marcefabian
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
icon Re: Dual Thinking (+3)  
ok, let see

Carlos Level 1

1N mayby i can put an adder instead of the serpent, a hot tile at the end of the corridor and a presure plate to make the adder moves.
2N ok, i will use the presure plates
5N when i was making the room, i didn't know the trick of the 4 square guard evasion, but after that i didn't want to chage the room.

Bill level 1
if i script every power token it will be ok?
3N1E ok, i will fix it
3N2E mayby for you is easy, but i cann't kill the 2 roach queens, i need trap the guards first

Carlos Level 2
With immediate power token activation in each room, these aren't really stalwart puzzles, they're Beethro puzzles in disguise.
That is the idea, beethro isn't the only person who can smite monsters
1S1E that is a captured stalwart
1S2E his death wasn't in vain
1S3E yes
2E to see the script in "The Wrong Way", i need master the hold, and i cann't even conquer it
2N1E whops, is forgot to translate that part
5N2E the clone want to start the war with the king resourses, but everybody thinks the king is the bad guy
1N5E yes, is can be done faster

Bill level 2
1E The mision of the guards there, is take all the potions, and send them to the palace, but they forgot some potions
1S4E yes, it is posible

Carlos Level 3
The four huge empty rooms at the beginning of this level gave me the impression that this level is not finished
no, they are just to decorate the map
7E i can add a waterskkiper nest to keep the counter visible
8E the main boss is the machine, not the slayer, that is why i make it too easy

Bill level 3
1N2E mmmmmmmm, i can use wubbas instead of brains
secret - ok, if you want an harder room, i will put the bill level 2 1S4E without the invisibility potion :D

Epilogue
6N the boss monster is the "K Virus" and these "eggs" are ................. Fireballs, this time Beethro isn't the center of the history :)
6N1E that room is the self destruction center, i forget to put the bombs
good secret ending - Carlos just asked Bill why he didn't speak like the other goblins, but Bill didn't anwser, that "Thanks for the answer" was sarcastic

Boss fight
ok, i will make the boss rooms harder, and with checkpoints

And, thanks you for the comments :)
10-03-2010 at 10:43 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
icon Re: Dual Thinking (0)  
Thanks for the reply - I understand the story much better now. :)

Marcefabian wrote:
Carlos Level 1

1N mayby i can put an adder instead of the serpent, a hot tile at the end of the corridor and a presure plate to make the adder moves.
Oh this is if you wanted to activate the power token immediately, as in other rooms? You could also give the serpent a box to circle around in, so it doesn't commit suicide too early.

Bill level 1
if i script every power token it will be ok?
That might be better. Another thing that would help the player understand that it is scripting, is to move the power token to an inaccessible location, like on top of a wall. Then the player wouldn't think that they'd have to step on it.

3N2E mayby for you is easy, but i cann't kill the 2 roach queens, i need trap the guards first
I've attached my demo for this room. (It's for the older version of your hold, so I hope it still works.) When the guards say, stop running, Bill might really be saying, "Stop swinging your swords around like idiots. Come and get me!"

Carlos Level 2
2E to see the script in "The Wrong Way", i need master the hold, and i cann't even conquer it
Check out this topic.

Carlos Level 3
7E i can add a waterskkiper nest to keep the counter visible
Good idea!

Bill level 3
1N2E mmmmmmmm, i can use wubbas instead of brains
Another good idea!

secret - ok, if you want an harder room, i will put the bill level 2 1S4E without the invisibility potion :D
It doesn't necessarily need to be harder, but it does need to be more interesting. You could also add a secret part of the story here. I'm happy to try out the non-invisible guard killing challenge though.

I see you've put up a new version of your hold. I'll download it right now... :)
10-10-2010 at 07:57 AM
CuriousShyRabbit

File: DT Bill Level 1 3N2E Victory.demo (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
License: Public Domain
I finished the new version. :)

Some observations:

1. The text still needs work. I think the easiest way for someone to help you with it, would be if you exported all the text and posted the xml file here. Some of the hold is uncapitalized now (thanks a whole lot!) and some is still capiltalized. It still needs punctuation, and a bit of grammar fixing. And in English, we do capitalize the pronoun "I" while I know you don't capitalize "yo" in Spanish.

2. You were nice enough to place lines of checkpoints before many of the rooms that start with force arrows. Thank you! It would be even nicer to do it for all.

3. The boss-fight level is much much better, with the tougher rooms and with checkpoints. I like how each fight was made tougher in a different way. The only tougher boss fight that I really didn't like was the last one. When you take away the speed potion, I just stay in one of the places that I know will work when all the aumtlich are there. It takes longer, but I don't have to do any new thinking about the room.

There are still some boss fights that are broken.

Bill Level 2 2S3E - You missed a spot with the orthosquares. I can still do the same thing as before with Bill waiting at (31,2). I can do the same thing in Boss Fights 3E, but I need to dance around a little bit to make the guard avoid turning his sword a couple times.

Bill Level 1 3N2E - Your attempts to toughen this room up made me see something I missed before. All I need to do is hit the orb at the beginning, and then kill the guards as they come around the corner of the yellow door. No need to wait for Carlos to build his contraption. I can do the same thing in Boss Fights 1E. Demo for Bill attached. Let me know if you need any other demos from me.

And one more bug I missed before... (This is why it's a good idea to have several people play through the hold several times.) Carlos Level 2 1N4E - If, after level clear, I enter this room with the negotiator character who helps open the door, and then I leave back the way I came, I can't get her help to open the door again. I think you need to script this so that it stays open after the negotiator has opened it once.
10-13-2010 at 07:11 AM
Marcefabian
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26

File: Dual Thinking.xml (54.2 KB)
Downloaded 49 times.
icon Re: Dual Thinking (+1)  
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
I think the easiest way for someone to help you with it, would be if you exported all the text and posted the xml file here.

ok, I have attached the xml file

CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
And in English, we do capitalize the pronoun "I" while I know you don't capitalize "yo" in Spanish.

I didn't knew it :D

CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
The only tougher boss fight that I really didn't like was the last one. When you take away the speed potion, I just stay in one of the places that I know will work when all the aumtlich are there. It takes longer, but I don't have to do any new thinking about the room.

Sorry but I don't have another idea to make that room harder, or, mayby, when you kill the monster, the presure plate can open a door with a citizen and a relay station, and if you aren't fast, you cann't use the speed potion (without the speedpotion, you cann't kill beethro)

CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Bill Level 2 2S3E - You missed a spot with the orthosquares. I can still do the same thing as before with Bill waiting at (31,2). I can do the same thing in Boss Fights 3E, but I need to dance around a little bit to make the guard avoid turning his sword a couple times.

I'll fix that

CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Bill Level 1 3N2E - Your attempts to toughen this room up made me see something I missed before. All I need to do is hit the orb at the beginning, and then kill the guards as they come around the corner of the yellow door. No need to wait for Carlos to build his contraption. I can do the same thing in Boss Fights 1E.

I'll fix that, and mayby I'll add something to kill only one of the guards in boss fights 1E, I think that room is too hard.

CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
And one more bug I missed before... (This is why it's a good idea to have several people play through the hold several times.) Carlos Level 2 1N4E - If, after level clear, I enter this room with the negotiator character who helps open the door, and then I leave back the way I came, I can't get her help to open the door again. I think you need to script this so that it stays open after the negotiator has opened it once.

:| ok, I'll fix that too

CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
You were nice enough to place lines of checkpoints before many of the rooms that start with force arrows. Thank you! It would be even nicer to do it for all.

Every room with a line of checkpoints at the end?, really?, I never saw a hold with every room with checkpoints in the entrances, the people will think the hold is better if I do that?
10-13-2010 at 05:45 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: Dual Thinking (+1)  
Marcefabian wrote:
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
I think the easiest way for someone to help you with it, would be if you exported all the text and posted the xml file here.

ok, I have attached the xml file

I have downloaded the file - I am happy to help with proofreading. I belong to a writers' site and I have done a fair bit of proofreading and editing there. There is a difficulty with the format though - I managed to open the file using NeoOffice, but there are 79 pages (!!) and much of it seems to be computer code sort of stuff (about which I know nothing). I can (and will) plough through it as it is, but I wonder if anyone can suggest a better format?

Marcefabian wrote:
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
You were nice enough to place lines of checkpoints before many of the rooms that start with force arrows. Thank you! It would be even nicer to do it for all.

Every room with a line of checkpoints at the end?, really?, I never saw a hold with every room with checkpoints in the entrances, the people will think the hold is better if I do that?

May I respectfully suggest you have a look at 'Castle Steele', about which one of our respected members said "Thank you, thank you Elfstone for leaving a space before the arrows at entrances and for the considerately placed checkpoints. There are architects out there that should take note of how you did this." I put a checkpoint at the end of every room (as well as a few others scattered around).

10-13-2010 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Hi Elfstone,

I'm glad you're willing to help out here. :)

The .xml file format is not something Marcefabian chose himself. That format is what you get, if you ask DROD to export all the text from a hold.

To read .xml files, I use the xml editor that's built into Internet Explorer 7. This displays the actual hold text in bold black letters, and all the other computer gobbledy-gook in color. I don't get anything close to 79 pages here.

Unfortunately DROD is just plain unkind to proofreaders and to proofreadees. Even if you were to edit the .xml file, leaving all the computer stuff in there, Marcefabian would not be able to import the fixed file back into his hold, because importing new text with the same "lang" does not overwrite old text. He'll have to go back into the editor and manually edit each character's text.

*Sigh.*

Rabbit
10-13-2010 at 09:11 PM
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
To read .xml files, I use the xml editor that's built into Internet Explorer 7. This displays the actual hold text in bold black letters, and all the other computer gobbledy-gook in color. I don't get anything close to 79 pages here.

I'm on a Mac and I don't have IE. Safari wouldn't do anything with it, but Neo Office opens it.
Unfortunately DROD is just plain unkind to proofreaders and to proofreadees. Even if you were to edit the .xml file, leaving all the computer stuff in there, Marcefabian would not be able to import the fixed file back into his hold, because importing new text with the same "lang" does not overwrite old text. He'll have to go back into the editor and manually edit each character's text.

*Sigh.*

Rabbit

ah - I had already started wading through the file but maybe I shouldn't? I'm happy to do this if it is going to be useful, but if Marcefabian isn't going to use it to edit the text then perhaps it's not worth it? Maybe I should hold off until I get some indication from him.

10-13-2010 at 09:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
I'm not saying he can't use it, I'm just saying using this file is not particularly convenient for anyone.

However, to me, having the .xml file seems more convenient than the alternative. Another way for you to see all the text in the hold, is to play the entire hold. You could then copy down all the level entrance, speech, and scroll text as you play, room by room. When doing it this way, I always worry about missing scripted text that only appears under certain conditions. While .xml files have a lot of extra junk in them, at least they do contain all the text from the entire hold.

EDIT: I talked to Tahnan in chat, and he has this little program that converts .xml files. So, here's the solution...

[Last edited by CuriousShyRabbit at 10-14-2010 05:25 AM]
10-13-2010 at 09:45 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459

File: Dual Thinking.txt (23 KB)
Downloaded 59 times.
Text version of the xml file.
10-14-2010 at 05:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zorglub
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74

File: Dual Thinking.txt (23 KB)
Downloaded 58 times.
Here's the corrected text file.
EDIT :I however wonder how it will be possible to load it in the hold. Tell me if you need to have the xml file modified.

Some mistypes, some capitals.

There are two sentences I don't understand and fior which Google translate didn't help.

"Just the button that was looking for"
==> missing a subject to looking for. "Just the button I was looking for"?

"it's impossible that matches my Adder and get out of there"
==> "that matches"?

[Last edited by Zorglub at 10-14-2010 10:15 AM]
10-14-2010 at 10:11 AM
Zorglub
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74

File: Dual Thinking.xml (54.2 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
icon Re: Dual Thinking (+3)  
And the xml with few missed corrections.
10-14-2010 at 10:55 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Dual Thinking (One Story, Two Heros, Some Scripting And Bosses)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com