Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Practicality (Something for the end of month)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hyperme
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1143
IP: Logged
icon Practicality (+4)  
Mr. King looked at the dungeon plan. "Why are there corners you can get trapped in?" He questioned. "My guards don't want trapping"
"It was an viewing choice, sir," said Mr. Architect.
"Dungeons aren't for viewing! Off with his lisense!" Bellowed Mr. King. "And get me some decent designers!"

The point of this contest is to create a hold that not only is puzzly and DROD-like, but also serves as a useful (read: usable) detention centre. Since there are many decent designers here, that should be no problem.

The deadline is the 7th of Febuary at 18:00 GMT(ish). After that, voting will commence. I don't having much in modpoints, so the main prize will be presteige.
So, why not try this out? It might be fun!

01-29-2010 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Practicality (0)  
I probably won't have the opportunity to enter, but I like the idea.

01-29-2010 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TheGreenPhantom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
Two questions: How many levels should there be? (And rooms)
What do we name the hold? "King's detention center?"

01-30-2010 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hyperme
Name doesn't matter.
For levels and rooms, use whatever you want. But try and keep it practical. That's the name of the game.

01-30-2010 at 10:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
Rank Points: 628
That's a nice idea.

It's fairly obvious that I want to avoid a dozen floors of maze-like rooms. Besides, I, for one, don't find that kind of thing to be fun. The security features could be interesting to design, as well, but part of the challenge would be finding a balance between a secure dungeon and one that doesn't take all day for the guards to unlock.

I should have time to give this a try. :)

01-30-2010 at 06:18 PM
Penwielder
So... fill me in here. This is my first contest.

Will you create a submission topic? Am I supposed to do that, if I'm the first one done? Do you require demos? If so, how does one export all their demos for a hold? Would I post that in the submission topic as well? Do I retain the rights to the entry?

02-05-2010 at 09:16 PM
TheGreenPhantom
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 39
Oh.. Another question:
DO we make the hold in RPG or TCB?

02-05-2010 at 10:02 PM
hyperme
TCB hold. Why didn't I say that? Gah.
Also, I put be a submitting topic. You don't need demos though.
And you keep the entry rights.

02-06-2010 at 11:00 AM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
I've started building a dungeon, but I might be a little late with the entry. I hope that's ok.

02-07-2010 at 03:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
icon Re: Practicality (+1)  
I've finished.

Mine's a two-leveler, with a notable variety of 'security' features. The first floor is used for other things, as well, but mainly it serves as a dungeon, as requested. The guards gave me my first significant experience with DROD scripting, though they aren't likely to help much with the puzzles (but who knows what an optimizer might do?). It isn't too hard overall, but it might make you think twice here and there. And the Aumtlich room is... not nice.

Of course, I realize I don't need to tell you all this (especially considering the contest isn't over), but naturally... I'm... excited. Or maybe it's an advertising scheme. I don't know either.

Oh, and I hope you can make it, Rheb--we need more participants here.

02-07-2010 at 04:38 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: Practicality (+1)  
Ok, my entry is in too. The puzzles are very rushed, and nowhere near as good as many of my others, but I like the dungeon feeling it has got.

It's using my Mosaic Frost style, so you might want to download it before playing the hold.

02-07-2010 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Penwielder
So, on to voting. How is that done? Do voters pick a favorite, rate each, rank them in order...? And when will it be, and for how long, and... you get the idea.

02-08-2010 at 08:42 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Shouldn't be too long, I'd imagine.
02-08-2010 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Practicality (Something for the end of month)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com