Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Flight of the Fegundo (Player role Fegundo)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.0/10 (19 votes)
σ 2.00
Author Name:Brian S
Submitted By:brian_s
Hold Name:Flight of the Fegundo
Theme:Player role Fegundo
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:32
Number of Monsters:591
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:14 (+14 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Flight_of_the_Fegundo_v8.hold (52.5 KB)
Downloaded 986 times.
License: Other
icon Flight of the Fegundo  
This is a relatively short hold featuring gameplay as a semi-invulnerable fegundo.
09-14-2009 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: Flight of the Fegundo (+1)  
An unusual and good hold which shows how player-fegundo role can be used in different puzzles.

I never thought such interesting puzzles could be done with fegundo player role. I enjoyed Unsafe Shelter 2N and Jungle Heat 2N the most.

Also, there's a nice tutorial which explains different player-fegundo role quirks(with a little puzzle based on all quirks in the end).

4 brains, 9 fun

[Last edited by mxvladi at 04-13-2010 02:22 PM]
09-14-2009 at 01:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I really like this hold. Flight of the Fegundo is a short, carefully crafted hold featuring player role fegundo. Player role fegundo is a flying role that has the special property of being invulnerable to certain types of monsters. I'd never tried being a fegundo before, and had no idea how different from being a wraithwing it really is. I had imagined that being able to stand unharmed under a sword, or in the midst of a crowd of monsters, while still being able to step on them at will, would make things super easy... but not so. Instead it opens up a new world of puzzle possibilities, which brian_s has explored in this hold. There's a tutorial accessible from the beginning, and then three levels of puzzles, decorated with a whimsical story.

Officially recommended by the Rabbit. :)
09-14-2009 at 01:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Flight of the Fegundo (0)  
Well, I heard this was good, so despite my fervent, ever-less-hopeful wish that player roles will one day make sense I guess I'll try it.

09-14-2009 at 02:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
Was your intended solution to the Jungle Heat secret anything like my solution?
Mine involved:
Click here to view the secret text

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 09-17-2009 06:21 AM]
09-17-2009 at 06:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
If anyone has been hesitant to try a player role hold, take it from someone who had never really done one until now: this was a lot of fun. I was never stumped for long, but I felt challenged enough to feel the puzzles were worthwhile. And being (mostly) invincible is quite an enjoyable change. Good storyline too.

9 for fun; 4.5 for brains

[Last edited by noma at 09-20-2009 06:32 AM]
09-20-2009 at 06:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
My initial concern when viewing this hold was that the puzzles wouldn't be very interesting within the parameters of the player role (a mostly invincible character that can fly), and also that something fairly similar had already been done in Val Unrich.

Well, I'm pleased to say that the puzzles are interesting, not too easy, and the feel of the hold is substantially different.

I thought it was a very good effort, overall.

7 for fun, 4 brains of difficulty.

Josh

09-21-2009 at 03:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Finally finished this. It's a really excellent hold that does, as alluded to above, make good use of the flying-and-invulnerable nature of the fegundo. It's not easy, but a lot of the difficulty really comes in just getting your mind around a new way of maneuvering around things. If you haven't already, give this hold a look. (Don't miss the Flight School in the corner of the first room, too; it's a really nice introduction to the player role.)
09-26-2009 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
You know, I always thought that creature player roles were kind of lame since their unique properties were never coded. The fegundo role in this case cannot explode or be reborn from ashes and instead gains invulnerability to certain enemy attacks.

However! This hold takes those reduced powers and makes three levels of novel, highly enjoyable puzzles out of them. There's a great variety from close-range manipulation of mixed foes to uniquely aiding imperiled stalwarts to tricky mimic / aumtlich maneuvers and more. Each level has its own nice visual design and atmosphere. The difficulty is moderate, with a couple of challenging secret variants and skippable speed potions. There's a lot of polish evident and it even comes with its own optional tutorial for player role quirks.

I can think of no reason not to give Flight of the Fegundo a 10 overall.
01-16-2017 at 05:01 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Flight of the Fegundo (Player role Fegundo) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com