Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Quest of the Almighty Chores (Unfinished RPG mockery)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
IP: Logged

File: Quest of the Almighty Chores.drh (9.1 KB)
Downloaded 150 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Quest of the Almighty Chores (0)  
Only one floor complete as scripting stumped me and I may need a while to figure out what I can do as only once I work out how to make a unique weapon I can finish the other floors.

I did play TotS, and didn't think it was that mean (only that you couldn't see into the future) so feedback would be good as I think I got the balance right at how floors should be contructed. I made the ground floor lenient but tricky enough, even for high score attempts. I intentionally made you only waste keys - there is plenty of health.

It has a broken cutscene and few other broken scripts, like 1N1W person I intend to change.

What I want to do:
-Mop, that either increases attack when you swing it. However Atk bonus isn't added when you swing to attack an enemy - bug.

-Mop, Atk is inverse to your health - lower health, more Atk, capped at a certain point - have problems with vars not holding values. Could be just me being crap.

-Mop, when you destroy tar, you gain health or when tar babies are created, you gain health. Doesn't work for some reason.

I'm not fussy about which one, but none of these work properly, plus I only figured out how global variables work as weapons automatically become global variables, so the add attack when you swing becomes broke as it applies it to your current weapon when you enter the room with the Mop, not when you pick it up.

-Custom graphics. If I knew how many pixels to do a sprite sheet for weapons...

- Speeliing/grammah.

Combinations of (potential) bug(s) and me being poor at scripting, but I can't do anymore rooms at the moment.

And yeah, the mop graphic is appalling.

Click here to view the secret text

09-22-2008 at 07:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Quest of the Almighty Chores (0)  
Seems nice so far, but buggy. I gained the mop effect just by entering the room where it was (up in the north), and the mop effect suddenly stopped working for me when I picked up a wodden blade after having obtained the mop. The mop disappeared when I exited the room, and when I restored to a previous save, the bug had corrupted the save data, so that there were no bonus added for swinging anymore.

Good luck, but this might be hard for you to complete without more competent help than mine ;) Oh, and speech spead are too fast for me. I need more time to read what the characters are saying.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 09-23-2008 01:18 PM]
09-23-2008 at 01:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
Yeah, it's a pretty killer bug that I'm only fixing thro' trial and error tinkering at the moment.

Mayhaps I have to think of another way to do it.

It was an "ahhh" moment with the mop, as any variables on a peice of equipment are taking into effect regardless of picking it up or not, except the variables that the NPC has itself, like "_my..." - they are added to the player on pick up. And the other thing is that they are global. Unfortunately I haven't seen what happens when you load up or cross floors yet because it doesn't work properly.

Sorry about the speech speed. I knew it was too fast but default speed is really slow for me and I usually change it so it's a comfortable reading speed.

At the moment I'm going to play around with graphics and see if making a sprite sheet will come to some hints at correct icon size...

I think a square is 44x44 pixels but I haven't figured out where the hands are.

09-23-2008 at 07:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
When you put custom equipment in a room, you should have a Default Script saying what you want it to be like when it's in your inventory, but you should also *override* this with a personal script for its appearance in the room.

For example, for a Backstab Dagger, you might have a Default Script as follows:
Behavior Attack first
Set var _MyATK = 10

But when you place it in a room, you'd add a script to that character looking something like this:
Wait for player to touch me
Disappear
Equipment Swap Weapon Backstab Dagger
Set var _X = _MyX
Set var _Y = _MyY

You can also use Imperative Ghost Display and not set the _X and _Y of the player, but I often prefer to have equipment visible objects that you can right-click on. Ideally, we may eventually get a command that can place custom equipment in a room just like normal equipment (so that the game takes care of all of this naturally and looks consistent), but for now, we can use these workarounds.

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 09-23-2008 07:24 PM]
09-23-2008 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: Quest of the Almighty Chores (-1)  
Potentially, you might also want to:

Set var _MyScriptX = _MyX
Set var _MyScriptY = _MyY
Build Equipment Slot (0,0)

before you Equipment Swap.

09-23-2008 at 11:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Sillyman wrote:
Potentially, you might also want to:

Set var _MyScriptX = _MyX
Set var _MyScriptY = _MyY
Build Equipment Slot (0,0)

before you Equipment Swap.
Except that there is no such thing as "Build Equipment Slot". I've already ask in a feature request, but it's not in this version.

Sillyman, this is your third post in a row that I have to correct. Do you need help?

09-24-2008 at 01:05 AM
Sillyman
Tim wrote:
Sillyman, this is your third post in a row that I have to correct. Do you need help?

And this is your second post in a row that I have to respond to with "No need to get snippy in a forum that relies on a system of non-snippy-ness, but thanks for the correction, since my memory isn't perfect and I would expect things to make sense, which sometimes they don't." Do you need more copied post formats?

09-24-2008 at 04:33 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Quest of the Almighty Chores (-2)  
Sillyman wrote:
"No need to get snippy in a forum that relies on a system of non-snippy-ness, but thanks for the correction, since my memory isn't perfect and I would expect things to make sense, which sometimes they don't."
I'm not being snippy, I'm genuinely worried about you. You usually makes posts that are borderline false (but always enjoyable to read), but this time you've made 3 false posts in a row. As I said on the chat, I thought you were out of shape today.

Fortunately it sounds to me that you're back on track again.

By the way, I think this forum would rather prefer snippy posts above untrue posts. This forum is not yet cnn.com or 4chan, yet. :)

09-24-2008 at 11:56 AM
Sillyman
icon Re: Quest of the Almighty Chores (+1)  
Tim wrote:
I'm not being snippy, I'm genuinely worried about you. You usually makes posts that are borderline false (but always enjoyable to read), but this time you've made 3 false posts in a row. As I said on the chat, I thought you were out of shape today.

Fortunately it sounds to me that you're back on track again.

By the way, I think this forum would rather prefer snippy posts above untrue posts. This forum is not yet cnn.com or 4chan, yet. :)

Ah, thanks for the concern. As for the last point: Doesn't 4chan prefer posts that are both snippy and untrue? :P

09-24-2008 at 05:56 PM
minimike98
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 1
Are you stell workiing on this hold because it is really good?

08-31-2009 at 10:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
PLEASE don't bump year old topics.

Also, I doubt he's working on that hold anymore since he hasn't posted in it over a year. Nor did anyone else.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-31-2009 at 11:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
minimike98
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 1
icon Re: Quest of the Almighty Chores (-1)  
I dont care it stell is a very good hold. It dosent matter if you bumb year old topics. The point isent trash i like this hold your working on holds and i bit you have abanded in same. i just wanted to ask if hes still makeing more of this hold.
08-31-2009 at 11:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
...I don't think he's working on the hold anymore... even if it's a good hold, it hasn't received a post in a year or so, so I doubt it's still being worked on.

Also, I don't think you'll get an answer, since I haven't seen the author around in a while.

EDIT: He did post once. But I'm not sure he'll answer.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 08-31-2009 11:13 AM]
08-31-2009 at 11:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fang
Rank Points: 175
:facepalm:

This is why we should lock every topic that's too old, and unlock them on the author's request if needed.

08-31-2009 at 12:01 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
PLEASE don't bump year old topics.

Also, I doubt he's working on that hold anymore since he hasn't posted in it over a year. Nor did anyone else.
I can't believe I'm about to defend minimike here, but: "I really like this; are you still working on it?" is one of the best reasons to bump a year-old topic. Given that Yellow_Mage just posted here about two weeks ago, it's perfectly reasonable to think that he might have come back after a break. (Or he might be monitoring this topic by email. Or a number of other things.) And if he's not working on it, this bump and the encouraging nature of the post might well make him say, "Oh, right! I had that project; I should get back to that!"

Telling him that one of his projects is good and you'd like to see it continued...honestly, how could you have a problem with that? Sure, maybe he's not working on it any more, but it doesn't hurt to ask!
08-31-2009 at 12:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
...sorry, then.

I'm just used to people telling others that topic shouldn't be bumped over 3 or so months unless it's very important, and that didn't seem pretty important to me.

Maybe it's because it was 6AM when I made the post, too. :|

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-31-2009 at 08:58 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Maybe if this were a forum wherein bumping a topic occasionally actually might bump an active topic off the first page, but we aren't that active.

08-31-2009 at 09:34 PM
ryani
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
icon Re: Quest of the Almighty Chores (+1)  
I just finished what was here. It was fun; I like the big tease on the first level where you are encouraged to try to get the sword before the shield to save keys.

On the second level, I got the mop and then exited the NE room to the right (dropping all the trapdoors) only to find that there are no more rooms! :)

My end stats:

If the original author ever returns, I'd like to encourage you to keep working on this. I like the story and "RPG mockery", as you put it. Good work!

[Last edited by ryani at 12-05-2009 08:41 PM]
12-05-2009 at 08:40 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Quest of the Almighty Chores (Unfinished RPG mockery)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com