Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DRODer! (Super fun smiting action)
Page 5 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
IP: Logged
icon Re: DRODer! (+1)  
Sorry if this seems like a worthless post, but this is a perfect example of the DROD community helping indie developers... erm.... (for less of a word) develop their games further, as long as there's interaction.

I'm just in a good mood and thought I'd state that. Brilliant to see :)
04-14-2006 at 09:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
icon Re: DRODer! (0)  
You should make some other enemies

A roach that can warp through a screen edge to another.

(Example: A roaches exits a screen upwards, he reappears at the bottom)

A roach that drop bombs that explode when you sword touches it.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

06-18-2006 at 02:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548

File: DRODerBeta!.png (22 KB)
Downloaded 788 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: DRODer! (+2)  

Coming Soon. (ish)

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”

[Last edited by Nillo at 10-09-2006 07:57 AM]
10-09-2006 at 07:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
And i thought it was dead! Well, i can't wait for your next version, Nillo! Keep going!

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-09-2006 at 06:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
And here it is! Go to first post for download.

Soonisher than I thought. Probably a bit buggy because I have only playtested it on my own computer. Please tell me if you find something.

Expect to see in later versions: More rooms, enemies, powerups!

Note that both classic and modern modes use the same highscore right now. As soon as I figure out how to do it, they will have separate scores.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
10-10-2006 at 12:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
I can't wait for 3.0!

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

10-10-2006 at 10:31 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Time to go annihilate DRODer again. Be right back.

10-11-2006 at 06:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Pressing R from the high score screen after playing Classic, levels, it goes to the Modern locale, but no enemies come out. This occurs after 10 high scores have been achieved. I'm not sure about before.

10-12-2006 at 12:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
v2.1 finished, see first post for changelog and download. This is when things start getting nasty!

Some things I am considering for later versions:
-Rotation of enemies - have only three different types of enemy on the same level? This would give enemies that are generated late in the dungeon more attention, and somewhat reduce the chaos that ensues down there.
-Some sort of easier mode. I'm not sure how to make it easier or what modifier it should have.

zex20913 wrote:
Pressing R from the high score screen after playing Classic, levels, it goes to the Modern locale, but no enemies come out. This occurs after 10 high scores have been achieved. I'm not sure about before.
I can't reproduce this with the latest version. Maybe it was fixed when I did something else, I don't know. Try out 2.1 and see if it works now.

10-12-2006 at 08:19 AM
Nillo
Known bugs so far:
A pair of debugging keys that I forgot to remove.
Mothingness flames stay on the screen when you descend to next level.

Suggestions are still appreciated.

10-13-2006 at 11:24 AM
zex20913
One thing I'd like is if the combo clock stopped once all the enemies in a level are killed. Right now, you can't continue a combo onto a new level, and that just feels wrong.

10-13-2006 at 12:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
zex20913 wrote:
One thing I'd like is if the combo clock stopped once all the enemies in a level are killed. Right now, you can't continue a combo onto a new level, and that just feels wrong.
That's actually intentional. I felt that in Classic the punishment for losing your combo was too great, so I made combos matter less in Modern. Oh, and there's actually one way of keeping a combo to the next level, but it only works about a fifth of the time. (Hint, hint.)

10-13-2006 at 02:18 PM
zex20913
After playing Levels for a while, with no music playing, the game sort of crashes--movement is rendered useless, and the sound repeats often.

I have AIM open when this happens. DRODer! takes up a LOT of memory to run--maybe there's something you can do to knock down some of the power suckage.

Also, another feature I'd like is a "choose your enemy" for the classic modes.

10-13-2006 at 08:11 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
zex20913 wrote:
After playing Levels for a while, with no music playing, the game sort of crashes--movement is rendered useless, and the sound repeats often.

It reminds me of problem with midi music. When Midi loops the game freezes for a few seconds... Soooo, any way to turn off the music would be nice :) (If it isn't already implemented). Ok.... I see the point :P. I mean I see it now... I totally forgot about something like Menu in Clicks... O:-

Of course a better graphics would be nice too (Well, I'm used to lack of graphics... Rogue-like game do rock :D.).

And how is it that starting from fourth or fifth level the enemies start to appear randomly on the screen? Is this because of the green roaches? And well, the enemies appearing inside you or next to you can be a little irritating :).

And well, by the way. I, as the big RPGs fan, think some RPG elements would be nice. What I've come with is you get experience for killing monsters. And every level (Or every five levels) there is a stat adding screen. YOu can buy this things for the exp:
-Turning speed
-Moving speed
-Sword size
And of course with every stat point the stat would get more expensive.
And yeah, the 360 degree turning would also be nice to implement (Don't ask me how to do this - I wasn't using clicks for over a year :P).
And... What I wanted? The On-line hi-scores XD. Yeah, I'm asking for far too much, but well... The on-line hi-score isn't that hard to do.... You only have to have a mySQL database and a guy who will write the script for you O:-...

Besides I really enjoy this game :).

[Last edited by skell at 10-14-2006 08:54 PM]
10-14-2006 at 08:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Hey, thanks for the replies. I like these huge posts with many bits of information, because I can learn much from them.

The sudden enemy generation: Yeah, it is because of the fourth enemy. Look closely and you'll notice why.

360 degrees and online hi-score: I haven't an idea how to make those. I recall trying both earlier and not getting them to work. If someone shows me how, I'll gladly implement it.

Some sort of RPG mode sounds nice, yes. I'm sure it'd be a pain to balance though. I'll consider it.

Crashes and better music formats: These are difficult things to fix. First, there are no functions for either, so I'll have to find an extension. Second, I've never had any problems myself.

Choose your enemy thing: Sounds good.

Thanks again!

I'm pretty busy with other things right now, so be patient with the next version.

10-16-2006 at 08:23 AM
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Great game, but it would be nice to be able to save in modern, or just be able to restart with 0 score from the room you died in... :D

10-16-2006 at 09:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Might I suggest a no music option to escape that particular bug for the time being?

10-17-2006 at 04:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Might I suggest a no music option to escape that particular bug for the time being?
Ah, but there is. In the menu.

10-17-2006 at 09:16 AM
RoboBob3000
Are you sure about that? The radio buttons let me choose between six songs, with no method of deselecting.

10-17-2006 at 03:26 PM
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
I can't access DRODer, because it says I'm missing some of the .dll files, such as CNCS32.dll.

10-17-2006 at 03:51 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
It's on the first page, a little lower than the droder rar.
10-17-2006 at 03:54 PM
zex20913
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Are you sure about that? The radio buttons let me choose between six songs, with no method of deselecting.

This is under the Options tab.

However, the problem arises when NO music is playing. Sounds only, no music, much problem, seems like a random occurrence though. Sometimes I can play for 1,100 combos (Yeah, boeee), and sometimes it skips after 5.

10-17-2006 at 07:12 PM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
I just realized I never tried this.
*goes to download*

10-18-2006 at 08:21 PM
skell
Hmm. About the 360 Degree - You are making this game in MMF, not TGF, right? When I'll be back from school I'll download the MMF and tell you how to do this ;). If I remember that...
About the On-line hi-score - Look here. It might help ^^;.

10-24-2006 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
TGF so far. I could import it to Fusion but I prefer to use the former as far as possible, because I'm much better at creating things with it.

As for online score, I shall read that article. It still seems pretty weird though, and I'll need a reliable, free server first.

10-24-2006 at 07:51 AM
Pilchard VIII
Still can't get the game to work.

10-24-2006 at 10:21 AM
geomatrx
Rank Points: 339
Did you get the dll from Nillo's second post in the thread?
Does anything pop up?

MetDROiD Echoes
Deadly Gold Mine of Death (Architecture)
10-24-2006 at 11:24 AM
Pilchard VIII
:selftwak

[Last edited by Pilchard VIII at 10-24-2006 01:31 PM]
10-24-2006 at 01:31 PM
skell
So I've looked at TGF, and I see, that I don't know how to do the 360 degrees rotating too... I mean, I thought that the "Active Object" has rotating option, but no... Well, I'm pretty sure that there is some extension which lets you do this... SOme advanced Active Object.
So unfortunately I won't be any help here... Unless you want me to look for such extension.

10-30-2006 at 07:36 PM
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
Depending on what you needed for the server (just some PHP and a MySQL Database? ASP? What?) I might be able to host it on depitaph.org for you. Just tell me what you would need and I will provide.

11-04-2006 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 5 of 7
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DRODer! (Super fun smiting action)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com