Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Auditions for Smitemaster's Selection (Voice acting)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
calamarain
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 933
IP: Logged
icon Auditions for Smitemaster's Selection (+2)  
Smitemaster's Selection Voicework Auditions

Our beloved Development Team and Evil Overlords (hi mrimer!) are working on the Smitemaster's Selections at the moment. We do have a good list of voice actors... but more is always better.

So, here is your chance to audition for a voice acting part in one of the upcoming Smitemaster's Selections.

Please see HERE for reference and a full list of the technical requirements for recording.

Have a microphone, use it properly, reduce noise and record in 44.1khz mono. Don't use software to alter your voice. You'll need to sign an agreement saying that you give ownership of those recordings to Caravel Games. Stick to .ogg form if possible - Audacity is a good program. A full version of the rules is listed at the link above - read it.

One thing... since this is a commercial product, and that we're going to need mostly adult voices... I'm going to have to restrict this audition to forum members over the age of 16. No specific gender roles needed at the moment - all these parts will work equally well with men or women doing them

Audition Lines

You can audition for any many or as few of these parts as you like. You don't have to pick one, you can do all four. There are more parts available than there are lines here, these four lines are just a good representation. Attach your recordings to this thread. You can include more than one recording for the same part, though please keep it all in the same file. Also make sure that at least one of them is your natural-sounding voice, along with any weird ones. If you do use a weird voice, make sure it's a consistent one, that you can replicate on demand.

Announcer (done in the form of a broadcast)
"This is an unscheduled announcement, brought to you by the Scheduling Department."

Person 1 (Bureaucrat)
Please note all directions are based on the last synchronization period and may be currently incorrect.

Person 2 (overdramatic)
Gaze upon the giant glory of our many, many minerals!

Person 3 (slightly crazy. Don't overdo it)
Well, the golems have escaped! They were naughty and didn't want to play Serpents and Stairs.

Please also consider if you audition, why not add yourself to the Voice Acting list for the unofficial holds. Furthermore, if you're an architect - we have a lot of talent in the forum, so why not add some speaking parts to your hold? Even if it's just a few lines.

Finally, mrimer has just started up the audition for Beethro Budkin's new voice. If you're male and think you can do a good Beethro Budkin voice, then audition!

Edit: mrimer here (hi, Cal!) -- everyone who is chosen to record this SmS and has their voice used in this SmS will receive a free copy of this SmS on CD, and will have their name placed in the game credits. Also, we'll keep you in mind as future projects become available to reprise your role!

[Last edited by calamarain at 05-28-2008 11:58 PM]
05-28-2008 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Vike91
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 230
icon Re: Auditions for Smitemaster's Selection (0)  
I could be person 3.

05-28-2008 at 05:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
calamarain
Vike91 wrote:
I could be person 3.
Then audition. Remember that you have to be over 16, and have a microphone. Record your version of the line and post if it you fulfil the above conditions.

05-28-2008 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Cal - do those of us who have voice acted before have to audition again? or indeed make it known that we're still available, or it that just assumed?

05-28-2008 at 05:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Elfstone wrote:
Cal - do those of us who have voice acted before have to audition again? or indeed make it known that we're still available, or it that just assumed?
It's a tricky question. You've done quite a bit of voice acting in the past (and when I say quite a bit, I mean a lot), for TCB, for the Smitemaster's Selections etc, so we have a good idea of your voice.

Suffice to say that if you've auditioned before and done a reasonable amount of voice acting before (i.e. not just 4-5 lines in one hold), then just make it known that you're available.

If you've done voicework before but it's only a few lines, then audition again. If you're in doubt, audition again.

05-28-2008 at 05:32 PM
Elfstone
icon Re: Auditions for Smitemaster's Selection (+1)  
Thanks - my voice and I are hereby declared available. :D

PS I'll probably look out Audacity and do another file

[Last edited by Elfstone at 05-28-2008 05:41 PM]
05-28-2008 at 05:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
Since an adult voice is the issue, being 16 should be a requirement. However, what if you already have an adultish voice and don't have the puberty issue of voice cracking? Would an age of 16 still be an issue, or can that person audition?

05-28-2008 at 10:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Mr. Slice wrote:
Since an adult voice is the issue, being 16 should be a requirement. However, what if you already have an adultish voice and don't have the puberty issue of voice cracking? Would an age of 16 still be an issue, or can that person audition?
There's also a legal side of it. The person needs to be able to give ownership of those recordings to Caravel Games.

05-28-2008 at 10:51 PM
Mr. Slice
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 140
Can you not legally 'own' something when you're below 16, or would they just need permission?

05-28-2008 at 11:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
It's a whole complicated mess of stuff, which depends a lot on what country you're in, and if you're in the US, what state you're in.

So, best just to restrict it to over 16's to save the hassle. Sorry to those forum members that are younger :(

05-28-2008 at 11:12 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300

File: Auditions.rar (173.4 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
License: Public Domain
Okay, my try at it. I assumed that you meant mad meant crazy.

Edit:
I added a normal voice, as I forgot that before.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 05-30-2008 04:34 AM]
05-28-2008 at 11:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pneh
Rank Points: 154
Over 16? I'll turn 16 June 12:th. Do I have to wait another year?

05-29-2008 at 07:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Pneh wrote:
Over 16? I'll turn 16 June 12:th. Do I have to wait another year?
I'd guess being 16 when the SmS is released (read: after the 12th of June) should be sufficient... ;)

05-29-2008 at 08:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354

File: Voices.zip (283.2 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
Well these are my impressions of all of the voices.

Included natural voice.

I wish that man would stay away
05-30-2008 at 02:48 AM
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
I just tried to make some recordings for fun using my laptop (I downloaded audiocity program as suggested). When I press play button I didn't hear anything. In order to hear my voice in about the same loudness I have to speak in about 10-20 cm from laptop's microphone and increase loudness of recorded sound to 20Db (maximum possible in audiocity)! Is it normal?
05-30-2008 at 07:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
halyavin wrote:
In order to hear my voice in about the same loudness I have to speak in about 10-20 cm from laptop's microphone and increase loudness of recorded sound to 20Db (maximum possible in audiocity)! Is it normal?
Well, besides integrated laptop mics usually being of the lowest quality possible they're usally recording fan and hard drive sounds.

But still - every soundcard I've seen has a setting to apply a +20dB boost to the mic internally. There should be an option or an "Advanced" button below the mic level slider in the volume control panel. Make sure you change it to recording mode first - can't do this here since my SB Live! is using drivers that don't support the normal Windows volume panel...

05-30-2008 at 09:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Bump.

Does anyone else want to audition for roles? There are two Smitemasters' Selections coming up, as well as possible voice roles in the DROD RPG, maybe even Frogs and Mice, we'll have to see.

Go on, use your voice :) Remember, there's the audition for the voice of Beethro Budkin too. Seriously, audition to be Beethro, what do you have to lose?

[Last edited by calamarain at 06-04-2008 04:44 PM]
06-04-2008 at 04:43 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I want too, but my mic is missing. I'm buying a new one this afternoon. Hopefully it'll get here soon.
06-04-2008 at 06:46 PM
Elfstone
Ooops :w00t - I forgot about this - too immersed in building my Hold. I'll try to get a sound file done tomorrow evening after work. :yes

06-04-2008 at 09:16 PM
Pneh
With "over 16", do you mean over 16 or is 16 enough? I will turn 16 soon.

06-05-2008 at 12:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
The usual interpretation of 'over 16' is 'on your 16th birthday or afterwards'. It doesn't mean 17 and over.
06-05-2008 at 01:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Elfstone

File: new auditions.ogg (247.2 KB)
Downloaded 54 times.
Here, as promised, a new sound file with all four sentences.

06-05-2008 at 09:26 PM
calamarain
Once more, a bump for this thread.

Remember, you get a free copy of the SmS if you get a part! We'll be casting soon, so get your audition in now.

06-09-2008 at 01:02 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214

File: Auditions for SMS.ogg (265.8 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
I got my mic! Here's all four lines, the first is reasonably close to my natural voice.
06-09-2008 at 02:53 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302

File: nirozva.ogg (908 KB)
Downloaded 55 times.
Here is my attempt. Sorry if I got a little carried away with the last line.

I have a .wav version of this, but it is 7.5 megs, and doesn't seem to upload.
06-09-2008 at 03:59 PM
Pneh

File: Voice.rar (794.6 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
My attempt. Mp3 files, and I made two version of each exept Person 2. Compressed with WinRAR.

06-09-2008 at 04:03 PM
Pneh
NiroZ wrote:
Here is my attempt. Sorry if I got a little carried away with the last line.
28-40: Lol. Seriously.

06-09-2008 at 04:07 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Pneh wrote:
Lol. Seriously.
Isn't that an oxymoron? :P

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-09-2008 at 04:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Auditions for Smitemaster's Selection (Voice acting)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com