Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What hold should I play next?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon What hold should I play next? (0)  
I've been using this on caravel chat for a while now, and I thought I might as well use it on the forums as well, thus allowing other people to benefit as well.

You see, I've just finished Rheb's Troshian Tower, which although being mind crushingly difficult, usually had a trick to each room, even when it looked like tedious manipulation. I also recently finished Beethro's brain, which is an awesomely clever hold which made you feel smart. Is it possible to find a hold inbetween?
05-27-2008 at 01:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
icon Re: What hold should I play next? (0)  
Imperial Wandering's rather good.

The Goblin is too, though it's really rather hard.

05-27-2008 at 02:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Tar Gate Stronghold. Arena 3. Kolby's Challange. Definitly Magic Show.

Magic Show is my prime recomandation. After that comes Tar Gate Stronghold. After that comes Kolby's Challange.

Perhaps SSSlitheryn and The Underground Civilisation would suit you?

I have played Beethro´s Brain, but I still don't know exactly what you mean by awesomely clever, and why Troshian Tower isn't. Perhaps you could explain a bit more in detail what this quality is? Anyway... My gut feeling tells me you'll find Magic Show both awesomely clever, and dificult with a (magic) trick to each room.

05-27-2008 at 03:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Blondbeard wrote:
I have played Beethro´s Brain, but I still don't know exactly what you mean by awesomely clever, and why Troshian Tower isn't. Perhaps you could explain a bit more in detail what this quality is? Anyway... My gut feeling tells me you'll find Magic Show both awesomely clever, and dificult with a (magic) trick to each room.
Beethro's Brain just has that absolutely magic mix of lynchpins and difficulty. It's challenging without being too hard, it's tricky without being boring, it's short enough to capture the attention and be fully completed but still substantial.

It's just plain clever :)

05-27-2008 at 03:23 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Gah, these aren't supposed to be accurate assessments of these holds. What I meant was awesomely clever was that it it came up with situations that made you feel like you were struggling, but never made you give up.
05-27-2008 at 03:24 PM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
icon Re: What hold should I play next? (+1)  
I think the Odd Jobs holds and The Final Confrontation might fit you good, I see you haven't finished Beethro's Teacher either, so maybe it's time to get back to that one now.

As for my holds, I wouldn't really say any of my previous holds are like Troshian Tower, But if you liked Beethro's Brain I would probably recommand my first holds (TUC and BiGH) and Rescue Operation before Tar Gate Stronghold.

05-27-2008 at 04:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mikko
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
icon Re: What hold should I play next? (+1)  
Phil's Dungeon is still one of the best holds around. It doesn't have a plot and naturally lacks all of the elements introduced in JtRH and TCB, but the puzzles are fantastic.
05-27-2008 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
I'll second The Goblin, I really enjoyed (most of) its monsterless challenges.
I'd also encourage you to go back to Think Outside the Box every now and again. The hold's structure encourages you to look at the four puzzles on each level. If you're lucky or good, you may get one immediately or with some little puzzling. Then you'll get enormously stuck. So go away and play something else. Then inspiration will come to you, return and solve. Rinse and repeat.

BbJ

05-30-2008 at 04:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : What hold should I play next?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com