Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : 2-floor rooms (An idea for Second Sky)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vinheim
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 300
IP: Logged
icon 2-floor rooms (0)  
People who have completed JTRH may think this is a bad idea because it was considered and taken out, but I have an idea for it. Basically, when you're making rooms, you can make an 'above floor to it' which can be accessed by 'ramps'. You can fall off the above floor with 'chutes'(is that a word?). But they work together as if you haven't left the room at all.

Of course I will provide an example
Remember 24th level 1s1w in JTRH? Imagine if there was a ramp past all the masses of tar that led you to the above floor. At the end of the long winding path in the above floor, you fall down a chute leading to the empty white space before the red door killing a mud baby if spawned. You kill the mud mother, forget doing the trapdoor dropping and leave the room by clearing mud babies on the bottom of the room from left to right.

With this you can make a wider variety of rooms. Remember that trapdoors fall when you step off them, what if there was a trapdoor on the above floor? It would become a trapdoor on the below floor allowing access past a pit
02-14-2008 at 11:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: 2-floor rooms (0)  
The biggest thing is that if you desire the interaction between floors, you have to see both at the same time. No key-switching/toggling, that's annoying. And the game elements themselves prevent that. The only way it could happen is if a "ramp" led up to the walls--but then everything you know would have to change if there's a roach on a wall.

In short, I'd like it if I saw any way at all to implement it well.

02-14-2008 at 12:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vinheim
I was thinking of a side-to-side kind of view for both floors.
Also more puzzle potential: You need a serpent to block a roach from attacking you from behind, there are no serpents available when you enter the room. However, maybe if you could lead a serpent down a chute from the above floor into the below floor, then you'd be able to solve it.
02-14-2008 at 12:24 PM
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
vinheim wrote:
Also more puzzle potential: You need a serpent to block a roach from attacking you from behind, there are no serpents available when you enter the room. However, maybe if you could lead a serpent down a chute from the above floor into the below floor, then you'd be able to solve it.
How would this be possible with ramps in a way that it is impossible without? Obviously there is more space in a room with a second floor, but other than that, it seems like the puzzles made could just as easily be made in a room with two "floors" separated by walls with one square wide "ramps" in between them. And how many rooms really need the extra space provided?
02-14-2008 at 05:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3757
This is more of "Confuse me even more" kind of Idea, although if DROD was RPG, then it would be at least useful, yet still quite confusing.

02-14-2008 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I really can't see any use for this at all that can't be done in two dimensions.

02-14-2008 at 11:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Uh... I can. For one thing, monsters would move constantly in one direction if you comressed it to two dimensions, but they would follow your collumn in 3-D. Also, they can connect at any point. So... yeah.

02-14-2008 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vinheim
Also I had a thought that wraithwings can't detect you when you're on the above floor unless it is on the above floor as well. So what happens if that one last wraithwing can't be killed as the edges of the rooms are pits? If only you could drop down on or next to it or drop a trapdoor on it. Imagine the fun it would be to see yourself killing a wraithwing by dropping a trapdoor on its head
02-15-2008 at 08:41 AM
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
I think that this is not just like adding more space to rooms. It functions more like a third dimension because there are only certain access points. I think that these access points should be able to go either way. (slides shouldn't exist, because they only go one way)

I wish that man would stay away
02-15-2008 at 05:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vinheim
I agree with you, spitemaster. I was thinking of 2 one-way access points and only gave 1. These are the following access points I thought of:
Ramps: 2-way
Slides: 1-way going down
Trampolines: 1-way going up

The fact that there is the presence of 1-way access points leads to more puzzle potential like those rooms where once you go over the trapdoor, you have to make sure you can find a way out.
02-15-2008 at 10:31 PM
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
For the visibility issue, maybe transparent floors?

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
02-16-2008 at 12:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vinheim
I was thinking either one of the 2:
1) Translucent floors when you're on the above floor as if it was dirty glass
2) A side-by-side view

I will upload a hold later demonstrating my intentions
02-16-2008 at 06:05 AM
vinheim

File: 2-floor.hold (1.6 KB)
Downloaded 52 times.
License: Public Domain
Here it is!
If you don't read the level entrance description, there are scrolls explaining everything
02-16-2008 at 06:17 AM
Sillyman
Naw, we need 31*37*25.

02-16-2008 at 06:39 AM
vinheim
Well, since we don't have a use for the left and right buttons, how about using them to switch between the left half of the 2 floors and the right half
02-16-2008 at 06:48 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: 2-floor rooms (+1)  
Um, isn't DROD complicated enough?

02-16-2008 at 07:03 AM
Sillyman
Mattcrampy wrote:
Yeah, but if we let there be three floors, we can make a bad joke by using an outdoor style and calling the upper floors "Sky".

02-16-2008 at 08:39 AM
vinheim
Sillyman wrote:
Mattcrampy wrote:
Yeah, but if we let there be three floors, we can make a bad joke by using an outdoor style and calling the upper floors "Sky".

*After 3 hours of reading the 'bad' joke* Oh, I get it.

Also looking at all the objects in the level editor screen, the following could happen

Orbs and pressure plates can affect both floors
Trapdoors fall below destroying any creature underneath and/or filling a pit
Tarstuff growing and briar growing will fall below
Fegundos (Fegundoes?) will fall below after explosion if over a pit
Wraithwings are able to fly down (but not up) if you're below
You can push mirrors below

Matt, you're right about the complicatedness. How about this: you can make a level and have the option to make it a 2-floor level, but with only one room. It would present some new challenge to the player and would be put in between levels that introduce an element of DRoD.

Example: In TCB before going to Homeward Ascent (I think this is the mirror level) you get taken to some sort of 2-floor (1 room) glass factory kind of thing where you see the origins of the mirror, but then realise that some body of briar is destroying the mirrors and stop it. You then get teleported to Homeward Ascent, where a mirror blocks your path...

02-17-2008 at 12:02 AM
hartleyhair
Rank Points: 307
Fegundos (Fegundoes?)

Fegundi.

02-17-2008 at 08:06 AM
Sillyman
Fegundoes.

02-17-2008 at 08:20 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Fegundös?

02-17-2008 at 11:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
Óh no, not again! :lol

EDIT: One attempt at sanity? Fegundos.

And 2 floors is a good idea... me likey.

Naw, we need 31*37*25*25.

Fixed. (Sanity has departed again)

Uh... I can. For one thing, monsters would move constantly in one direction if you compressed it to two dimensions, but they would follow your collumn in 3-D. Also, they can connect at any point. So... yeah.

So roaches do fly!

[Last edited by Neathro at 02-18-2008 11:26 AM]
02-17-2008 at 01:16 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: 2-floor rooms (+1)  
It's "fegundos", as established in TCB.

02-17-2008 at 08:18 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : 2-floor rooms (An idea for Second Sky)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com