Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : e^(i*pi) +1 = 0 (Found in a book... and I don't know what it means/how it works)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
IP: Logged
icon Re: e^(i*pi) +1 = 0 (+1)  
Stop. You're making math hurt.

0^1 is 0.

In calculus, 0^0 is moreso indeterminate than undefined. Sometimes it is 0, sometimes 1, sometimes it could be 6.2312623. It can be determined under certain circumstances.

But 0^1 is always 0.

02-11-2008 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
icon Re: e^(i*pi) +1 = 0 (0)  
BeefontheBone wrote:
Beef Row wrote:
TripleM wrote:
And Dex, you mean only non trivial function ;)

Well, I don't see how c*e^x is more trivial than e^x. And since c*e^x actually includes the trivial 0 case, better to just say that IT is the only function which is its own derivative.
Other than x=0, which is probably the more trivial example TripleM was referring to :)

Ummm... I think you mean f(x) = 0. And what happens to c*e^x when you set c = 0? As I noted in the post this "actually includes the trivial 0 case".

02-12-2008 at 12:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
captainzakku
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
zex20913 wrote:
Stop. You're making math hurt.

0^1 is 0.

In calculus, 0^0 is moreso indeterminate than undefined. Sometimes it is 0, sometimes 1, sometimes it could be 6.2312623. It can be determined under certain circumstances.

But 0^1 is always 0.

Now lets make a contest to see who can come up with the most original new way to represent 6.2312623, such that people might actually tatoo that number on themselves...

Oops, sorry, I thought if contest threads could randomly disolve into mathematical arguments, maybe it would work the other way around too.

02-12-2008 at 02:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Then how about an engineering puzzle?

What is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

(An african swallow, before you ask)

02-12-2008 at 03:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Beef Row wrote:
Ummm... I think you mean f(x) = 0. And what happens to c*e^x when you set c = 0? As I noted in the post this "actually includes the trivial 0 case".

Yeah, its just not how you normally state things like this mathematically.

Let just use wikipedia to settle it once and for all.. (not that I'm saying you're incorrect, just arguing over the fine details :P)

the exponential function f(x) = e^x is important in part because it is the unique nontrivial function (up to multiplication by a constant) which is its own derivative

Multiplication by a constant includes 0, but its just more standard to still say 'nontrivial'.

[Last edited by TripleM at 02-12-2008 06:20 AM]
02-12-2008 at 06:20 AM
Walkaway Joe
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
OK, I'm no mathemetician. I Just need some help solving a possible, that uses this equation to do so. Here's the puzzle:

e to the i pi plus 1 equals zero

Published COordinatess: N 60° 28.159 W 151° 08.828

The correct coordinates are N 60° 28.xxx W 151° 08.xxx. The title is the puzzle that yields the decimals for the minutes.

An additional hint given is: The published coordinates are cut from four to six. The true coordinates are cut from one to three.

So, can anyone tell me what the numbers are that should be used to replace the xxx in each part of the coordinates?
08-20-2011 at 03:11 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
... that is an odd first post.

You trying to solve one of those puzzle competitions?

Anyway, you should look up the decimal expansions of e and pi.
08-20-2011 at 03:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Walkaway Joe
I don't know that I'd call it a competition per se. But yes, something similar. WHere would I find those expansions you mention?

08-20-2011 at 03:35 PM
Walkaway Joe
Rabscuttle wrote:
... that is an odd first post.

You trying to solve one of those puzzle competitions?

Anyway, you should look up the decimal expansions of e and pi.
Actually, I got it. 314 and 271. HAve a good day!!
08-20-2011 at 03:39 PM
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
I don't get it. The first three digits of pi and e, truncated? What kind of a puzzle is that?

08-20-2011 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
I'm curious if there was anything else involved in the puzzle - I don't see how you're meant to get the solution without the additional hint.
08-20-2011 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Walkaway Joe
Rabscuttle wrote:
I'm curious if there was anything else involved in the puzzle - I don't see how you're meant to get the solution without the additional hint.

I was going to post the link to the puzzle in it's entirety, but apparently I don't have enough "Rank points" to do so.

If you go to the website geocaching.com, and search for the cache GC32DNT, you will find the puzzle there.

[Last edited by Walkaway Joe at 08-20-2011 04:46 PM]
08-20-2011 at 04:44 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Oh, geocaching. You have managed to find entirely the wrong forum to ask about the equation. :-)

(Well, not entirely, because we're generally smart people who understand why e-to-the-i-pi equals negative one, but anyway.)
08-21-2011 at 02:01 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
3.5 year necro for an obscure geo-caching puzzle with not enough hints.

I vote this as the post of the year :) (this year)
08-28-2011 at 10:17 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
The clue is in the "published coordinates" which have the next three digits in the respective decimal expansions.
08-30-2011 at 02:25 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Yeah, I saw that, but I can't see any implicit reason why you should replace them with the first three digits, rather than say, the next three digits.
08-30-2011 at 02:32 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Rabscuttle wrote:
Yeah, I saw that, but I can't see any implicit reason why you should replace them with the first three digits, rather than say, the next three digits.
There's a description that goes with the puzzle, and you're meant to solve it with the help of a GPS.

"The cache is about 130 ft from a horse and four wheeler trail, buried in the ground, camoed but easy to recognize."

So if you tried the next 3 digits, you'd be in the wrong place. I suppose it would come down to quick trial-and-error.

08-31-2011 at 05:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : e^(i*pi) +1 = 0 (Found in a book... and I don't know what it means/how it works)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com