Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : NO MAIN LEVEL ENTRANCES
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
IP: Logged
icon NO MAIN LEVEL ENTRANCES (-1)  
Whats the difference between them,anyway?
12-13-2007 at 08:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1133
icon Re: NO MAIN LEVEL ENTRANCES (+1)  
They determine room coordinates, that's the difference.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

12-13-2007 at 08:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Rank Points: 140
icon Re: NO MAIN LEVEL ENTRANCES (0)  
The difference is, the main level entrance is the place you 'warp' to after completing the last level. Non-main level entrances, however, are where you can script so you can go to. Also, stairways are allowed to move you to another entrance, if you don't know what kind of scripting.

12-13-2007 at 01:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
Mr. Slice wrote:
The difference is, the main level entrance is the place you 'warp' to after completing the last level.
There is no such warp. You reach a new level by staircase or by script, and in either case the architect may specify any entrance. Main entrances are used to determine where on the starting level you begin the hold, and (as Noah said) to determine which room on each level is named The Entrance.

12-13-2007 at 03:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
*Sigh* I'm getting bored of seeing all my posts -1 and -2.

So I'm just going to go out and say that main level entrance is where the hold will start, and any levels after that, are where you should put the stairway so that the hold seems to flow.

12-13-2007 at 10:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
So...revert back to the way AE was and destroy backwards compatability? Awesome.

12-13-2007 at 10:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Mr. Slice wrote:
*Sigh* I'm getting bored of seeing all my posts -1 and -2.
So maybe don't make posts which deserve that? A good start would be to think about what you've written, and all it may imply, before you post it. It would, for instance, have kept you from making that backwards-incompatible feature request.

12-13-2007 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Which one, the Scripting Conversation? Yeah. If you mean that one, then I might try to fix it later. But my mind and your mind don't think the same, so many of the implications that you might have, I might not. So I can't think of everything, but I can try to fix this in the future.

12-14-2007 at 12:24 AM
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
Tahnan wrote:
But really, in the immortal words of Pa Grape: You just don’t get it.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
12-14-2007 at 02:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: NO MAIN LEVEL ENTRANCES (-1)  
Here's a simple rule to follow. If you don't know the answer to a question, don't answer it as if you did. This forum is a bit like Jeopardy! You will be docked when you answer incorrectly.

12-14-2007 at 05:20 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Now, out of fairness, when Mr. Slice said "...any levels after that, are where you should put the stairway" I don't think he was suggesting that this be coded into the system. He was, I believe, suggesting this as good hold design; and there's something to that. (Why would you start in 2N1E? Why would there be a room called "entrance" if you don't enter there? Don't answer that, I know we can all come up with good reasons why; but it's not bad advice in general.)

In general, though, RoboBob wasn't far off. "The main level entrance is the place you 'warp' to after completing the last level" isn't actually correct; and in general, Mr. Slice does seem to post a lot more than he thinks about what he's posting.

12-14-2007 at 10:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
RoboBob3000 wrote:
This forum is a bit like Jeopardy! You will be docked when you answer incorrectly.

You are wrong about how the forum works.

*mods down*

:P
12-14-2007 at 11:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mr. Slice
Tahnan wrote:
Mr. Slice does seem to post a lot more than he thinks about what he's posting.

Sorry about that. Now I am learning to think before I post. So you don't waste your time looking at time-wasting things.

Sorry if you find this time-wasting.

[Last edited by Mr. Slice at 12-14-2007 01:45 PM]
12-14-2007 at 01:45 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Rabscuttle wrote:
You are wrong about how the forum works.

*mods down*

:P
Touche.

*mods up*

12-14-2007 at 03:41 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
What is Jeopardy?

:D

12-14-2007 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
Answers.com says:

jeop·ard·y (jĕp'ər-dē )

n., pl. -ies.

1. Risk of loss or injury; peril or danger.
2. Law. A defendant's risk or danger of conviction when put on trial.

[Last edited by Someone Else at 12-14-2007 11:20 PM]
12-14-2007 at 11:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Alright, back on topic, I have a proposed solution to the entrance issue here (which I believe is the "This entrance can't be deleted" dialog box. My solution is that trying to delete the main entrance prompts you to first set one of the remaining entrances in the level to the main one (much like the widget for assigning stair destinations). The exception would be levels with a single entrance, in which you'd instead be prompted to place the new main entrance, and the old one would be deleted when you do so. Think this would work, or is it more trouble than it's worth?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

12-16-2007 at 04:23 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : NO MAIN LEVEL ENTRANCES
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com