Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Iron Golems (Steps on you and it hurts.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
IP: Logged
icon Re: Iron Golems (0)  
Huh? I thought I remembered someone saying that brained serpents change their direction preference every turn. /me is confused.
But I get it. They use the pathmap when they can't decide which way to go.
But even brained Iron Golems should only be able to turn when they run into a wall.

12-10-2007 at 07:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
icon Re: Iron Golems (+1)  
I think brained Iron Golems should still, in general, turn only when they run into a wall, but when they hit a wall, they can decide if a left or right turn would bring them closer to you. They would then make the turn and continue. However, whenever they have an ordinal line-of-sight to Beethro (whether they've hit a wall or not) they would turn in that direction. If Beethro's behind something or at a diagonal from the Iron Golem, it continues as before.

Click here to view the secret text

12-10-2007 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
Very interesting stuff. Just a quick question though, can adders eat it?

EDIT: Also, would it really kill snakes? I think it would treat it as a wall unless it was it's vunerable point.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 12-12-2007 04:34 AM]
12-12-2007 at 04:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ameph
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
Hmmm...I think iron golems would give Adders indigestion..then again, they might be able to.

And they don't kill snakes. They treat them as walls (unless they step on a rattle)

12-13-2007 at 03:15 PM
The spitemaster
Rank Points: 354
What if they step on a adders head?

I wish that man would stay away
12-14-2007 at 03:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
aztcg7
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
What if an Adder ate the iron golem, and because of that, had a lump in it's belly that caused it not to be able to move until the golem rusted away or simply stopped moving at all? That could give you complicated puzzlie rooms wherein you need to prevent an adder from eating any iron golems, preventing room completion.

12-14-2007 at 03:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ameph
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
That sounds like it could work. I was a bit indifferent with the Adders and Iron Golems.

Sure, Adders eat everything.

However, they don't eat Beethro's sword and get hurt by it.

So either, they should cause indigestion or take damage.

12-15-2007 at 01:15 PM
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
I do like this idea. Nice work :thumbsup

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
12-20-2007 at 01:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
QuasarX
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: Iron Golems (+1)  
Ameph wrote:
I don't like the idea of making them unrequired. Otherwise, they would just be used for pressure plate switches and the door opening and closing (I like that idea. A monster so heavy that it prevents doors from closing).

Also...the idea of making them stop completely to kill them would also work in a way to kill it without a pit. You trap one in a dead end with your sword and it dies because it believes that it's trapped forever.

I agree that they would be more interesting if they were required, but it doesn't make sense to me that they would die if they got stuck. Instead, I recommend having them become inactive until the are no longer stuck. An inactive iron golem would would count as dead for purposes of completing a room, but if it started moving again the room would become incomplete just like if tar had been cut. I think that would provide more tools for room designers to use the iron golems deviously.
01-07-2008 at 01:02 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
Let me be the first to :hi you to the forum!
I think that you have a brilliant idea there. Do you think they should die the turn after getting stuck, and then take a turn to get up after getting freed?
01-07-2008 at 06:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
That is interesting, QuasarX. How would we deal with reentry to rooms with such golems?

01-07-2008 at 11:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Same way we do with tar babies spawned after the green door has been dropped. And a brained Iron Golem should act like an unbrained roach on ortho squares. No pathmapping, but it will head straight for you. It might fall in a pit on the way, though.

01-07-2008 at 11:47 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Iron Golems (Steps on you and it hurts.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com