Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Mobile DROD files
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Curzon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 92
IP: Logged

File: mobileDrod_Generic.zip (124.9 KB)
Downloaded 315 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Mobile DROD files (+3)  
This thread will contain the latest releases of mobile DROD. I will keep the first posts up to date with current versions and link here from the main thread.

For most mobiles the files are in the mobiledrod_generic.zip
Specific Nokia files are in mobiledrod_nokia.zip
The emulator is in emulator.zip

v1.1:
New features/bug fixes:
- Shadows
- undo on key 0 (removing the battle button, which was on that key previously)
- new room handling, so several bugs concerning checkpoints, strange positions in rooms, should be fixed

[Last edited by Curzon at 08-25-2007 01:32 PM]
08-25-2007 at 09:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Curzon

File: mobileDrod_Nokia.zip (124.7 KB)
Downloaded 149 times.
icon Re: Mobile DROD files (+1)  
specific nokia files

[Last edited by Curzon at 08-25-2007 01:32 PM]
08-25-2007 at 09:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Curzon

File: emulator.zip (860.5 KB)
Downloaded 268 times.
Emulator,
use one of the html pages to start the emulator.

[Last edited by Curzon at 08-25-2007 01:33 PM]
08-25-2007 at 09:14 AM
Samuel
Rank Points: 69
icon Re: Mobile DROD files (0)  
You are just excellent at this stuff
Could you make any other kind of mobile phone games or is DROD your only specialtity

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon

[Last edited by Samuel at 08-27-2007 09:00 AM]
08-27-2007 at 08:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Curzon
Thanks!
I have made another puzzle game: Rush Hour http://www.thinkfun.com/RUSHHOUR.ASPX?PageNo=RUSHHOUR

I don't know about real time games, but otherwise I don't see any problem at other games.
08-27-2007 at 05:38 PM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Curzon wrote:
Thanks!
I have made another puzzle game: Rush Hour http://www.thinkfun.com/RUSHHOUR.ASPX?PageNo=RUSHHOUR

I don't know about real time games, but otherwise I don't see any problem at other games.
Hmmm, now where have I seen this before? HMMMM . . . (note, I am purposely acting stupid, and these parenthesis ruin the joke, yay!).

Actually, in TI-BASIC, I simulate real-time by forcing the program to increment a variable to some rediculously high number in a For loop. After all, computers are not infinitely fast.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 08-27-2007 06:23 PM]
08-27-2007 at 06:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Kwakstur wrote:
Actually, in TI-BASIC, I simulate real-time by forcing the program to increment a variable to some rediculously high number in a For loop. After all, computers are not infinitely fast.
Interesting. I'm going to risk looking stupid here and ask is this on TI calculators or some other system? Is there no query to a real-time clock there?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
08-27-2007 at 06:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
mrimer wrote:
Kwakstur wrote:
Interesting. I'm going to risk looking stupid here and ask is this on TI calculators or some other system? Is there no query to a real-time clock there?
Yes and yes, but you know I love to elaborate, so buckle up.

Yep, TI-BASIC is the copywrited name for the BASIC language that Texas Instruments calculators use. Commands, like characters, are all 1-byte in the system (even though they are displayed as strings), meaning the number of letters and punctuation marks it can display limits the number of functions it can have.
Why am I mentioning this? Well, I'm saying this to show why real-time is not implemented. If we were to add any more commands, we would have to give up lowercase letters. In fact, there is no quartz in the calculator, so you couldn't even call it in assembly.

Because TI-BASIC is so slow, just counting to 500 takes a second. But I think you could have a C++ program that has a For loop in a For loop. Tell it to count to the highest unsigned 4-bit number about 4 times and I think it takes 2 seconds. Actually, I use While loops so that user input can interupt it, but, still, the main idea is to make it count to waste time.
I'm even going to use this system in C++; it's easier than figuring out how to make a program call for quartz feedback. Or, worse yet, making it read the computer's current time and inferring time elapses since then.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 08-27-2007 11:33 PM]
08-27-2007 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3118
Kwakstur wrote:
Commands, like characters, are all 1-byte in the system (even though they are displayed as strings), meaning the number of letters and punctuation marks it can display limits the number of functions it can have.
Why am I mentioning this? Well, I'm saying this to show why real-time is not implemented. If we were to add any more commands, we would have to give up lowercase letters. In fact, there is no quartz in the calculator, so you couldn't even call it in assembly.

A number of commands are not 1-byte: they're 2-byte tokens. So support for extra commands is already there, and adding extra commands would not require giving up any 1-byte tokens (unless you somehow got to the point where there were more than 256 2-byte tokens, but that's another thing entirely). Furthermore, certain TI-calculators *do* have built-in clocks that can be accessed through machine code/assembler.
08-28-2007 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Well, let's say I took a 3000 byte program of mine (I only have one that size, DANGER2), backed it up, and then started doing this:

1. Checking my remaining memory space.
2. Opening my program and pressing "Delete" once.
3. Checking my remaining memory space again.

Every time I do it, I would free one byte; no more. That means "A" is one byte. "B" is one byte. "1", "3", "Output (", "Display ", "prgm", "If ", and "While (" are all one byte.
I'm doing it right now (thank god I already have a backup), and I'm only freeing one byte of memory each time, so I don't know where the 2-bytes come in.

But I'm stubborn.

08-28-2007 at 12:25 AM
schep
Rank Points: 865
Kwakstur wrote:
I'm even going to use [loop spinning] in C++; it's easier than figuring out how to make a program call for quartz feedback. Or, worse yet, making it read the computer's current time and inferring time elapses since then.
Erm, if you really want, but please don't expect anybody else to get the same results, or for you to get the same results after a hardware upgrade or software change. Never do this if your program might ever be run on a different computer, different operating system, and/or with any different set of other programs running at the same time. A lot of old computer games did this, and they're not much fun any more, now that the enemies move more than 100x faster than they originally did. It does take some effort to figure out how to get measurements more precise than one second intervals for your operating system, but for modern computers it's really always better to actually use the clock.

Er, I hope the off-topic discussion is okay here. The useful downloads will always still be at the top, anyway.

[Last edited by schep at 08-28-2007 03:26 AM]
08-28-2007 at 03:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Hmmm, good point, schep.

I try not to actually count seconds; if the game seems too slow, I make it shorter, and if it seems to fast, I make it longer. Sometimes I even include a speed prompt to set it when starting the program. But I guess upgraded processing speed is a problem.

I do have notes on getting feedback from the quartz. For some odd reason, though, I remember the program spanning 12 pages just to count 60 ticks a second, 60 seconds a minute, 60 minutes an hour, and 12 hours before resetting. It must be the result of really inefficient programming. Thank god I just want a few commands instead of the actual clock.

On the bright side, 12 pages is easier to find than one. ;)

Hey, anyone else noticed that the two threads I hijacked about programming are both about Curzon's mobile DROD? Erm, sorry Curzon.

08-28-2007 at 04:13 AM
Curzon
Well, that's fine, but next time you hijack a thread with some programming stuff, please use a cool language (lisp, smalltalk, ruby...) :)
08-28-2007 at 06:31 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Kwakstur wrote:
I do have notes on getting feedback from the quartz. For some odd reason, though, I remember the program spanning 12 pages just to count 60 ticks a second, 60 seconds a minute, 60 minutes an hour, and 12 hours before resetting. It must be the result of really inefficient programming. Thank god I just want a few commands instead of the actual clock.
Ebbeh? 12 pages for doing what? o_O;

If you indeed happen to be talking about Windows programming, may I suggest the Windows functions QueryPerformanceCounter and QueryPerformanceFrequency for your high-precision timer needs, GetLocalTime for your off-the-wall-clock needs, and Sleep or SleepEx for giving your poor program (and system) some rest while doing nothing?

(Here's a good starting point for looking up those functions...)

If it's not Windows, I can guarantee that equivalent functions exist on just about any other multi-tasking capable operating system...

Oh yeah, in the light of multitasking your counting approach is automatically doomed to fail as soon as there is a single other program (like, say, the operating system) running at the same time, since that can steal the CPU from your program at any time, making your counter effectively pause for some random length of time until it finally gets the CPU back.

Never mind the waste of energy that is active waiting/polling/spinning in a loop - so unless you want to test how good/stable/burn-proof your CPU cooling solution is, don't do that... :?

08-28-2007 at 08:22 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Hey Briareos, remember when you used to read, comprehend, and then post? That was awesome.
(He's not talking about Windows; he's talking about calculator programming.)

08-29-2007 at 12:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Jatopian wrote:
Hey Briareos, remember when you used to read, comprehend, and then post? That was awesome.
Ah, but the joke's on you.

Those twelve pages were indeed for Windows.

08-29-2007 at 12:54 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I am appropriately shamed.

08-29-2007 at 01:11 AM
Briareos
icon Re: Mobile DROD files (+2)  
Jatopian wrote:
10 PRINT "Hello."
20 GOTO 10
???
40 PROFIT

08-29-2007 at 08:06 AM
Samuel
Rank Points: 69
One thing that i thibnnk is not to good:
You can still complete the level without it but it would be easier if there was a map in the room.

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
12-21-2007 at 02:00 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Curzon wrote:
Thanks!
Just noticed this thread... The car dragging doesn't work in Firefox so it might be something you'd want to look at.
12-23-2007 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Curzon
Actually, this is not from me. I made a version of this game for mobile phones.
12-26-2007 at 05:13 PM
deepcut
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
:wub Curzon :wub
I just got a shiney new Sony Ericsson W810i 3 days ago, so discovering Mobile DRoD is awesome.

I'm using the 128x128 version. I was a bit put off by this in the filename as I know the resolution on my device is 176x220. Is this because the "Generic" version scales to the appropriate resolution ?
After I completed lvl 1 and recieved the Exit Level message, the blue door was still in place.
What I'm assuming should say GameMenu is clipped to just "GameMen". Surely this only needs to say "Menu" anyway.
Sounds ? Music ?
Scrolling the map ?

Or am I hoping in vain that you haven't "finished" development on this already ? :(

[Last edited by deepcut at 01-25-2008 02:42 AM]
01-25-2008 at 02:41 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
I'd say it's a development in progress. Why not contribute with some sound or music files and I'm sure they can be added.

I'm sure level designs would be welcome too :)
01-25-2008 at 05:57 PM
Curzon
I am glad you enjoy it.
Strange, I remember that I have had this blue door bug once, but I also remember having fixed the bug. I will give it a look.

About sound, level designs: exactly as syntax said: everything is welcome. I, for my part have, not been active in further developing, because I simply cannot find the time these days. :|

01-29-2008 at 10:56 PM
Kitten
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
I liked your game! :) And me wanted to create their own level in mobile phone straight! Or... if only for computer! :(

http://store.steampowered.com/app/388440
08-30-2008 at 08:16 PM
Kwakstur
Awww, I can't play this on an HP iPAQ 110 (PDA using Windows Mobile 5)... evenafter downloading a Java Runtime Environment.

What I think the problem is, is that it doesn't know what to do with the .jad, yet the .jar can't run without it. When I run rhe .jar it produces an unspecified error, and logs it in some file I can't find.

It's not half bad in the emulator, though.

:weep
Oh, well.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 01-02-2009 08:59 AM]
01-02-2009 at 08:58 AM
Kwakstur
What Java Platform is this for? ME or FX? I finally got MIDlets to work (I'll post the details later), but this game really isn't built for a non-phone PPC, especially one with a touch screen. A lot of stuff gets obscured by the on-screen keyboard, the numpad on said keyboard is inverted vertically, and # and * must be typed in as shift+3/8 on the numpad (only possible with keyboard gestures on) because any other key input method will strangely enough take 2 turns for the rotation.

I've come a long way since introduced to programming, and now I usually am able to learn a new programming language in two days. I want to adapt your program for the HP iPAQ 100 series. If you did this program in ME, I'm going to download EclipseME. In the miniscule chance you did this on FX, I'll keep the NetBeans IDE that I foolishly downloaded for it (I'd like to keep it and just install the ME plugin, but it appears that I can't do that without also getting the 200 MB plugin for EE).

In my defense: I never heard of FX before, so I checked wikipedia and I see the word "mobile" several dozen times. You couldn't blame me for downloading it after that. And you also can't blame me for calling myself degrading names as I'm researching ME right after installing FX.

EDIT: It appears I cannot edit your code at all. Even with the IDE, I can't get anything legible from the .class objects. I just get a message "Cannot open, no sources."

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 01-19-2009 10:11 PM]
01-17-2009 at 05:24 AM
Briareos
Kwakstur wrote:
EDIT: It appears I cannot edit your code at all. Even with the IDE, I can't get anything legible from the .class objects. I just get a message "Cannot open, no sources."
That might be because class files are, well, compiled class files and not source files...

No-one in their right mind is going to stuff the sources for something intended for mobile phones et al that have very little free space to begin with into the file(s) intended to be installed on said platform.

np: Proem - Live @ SlightlyBent 11-22-2002 (Merck Fragments)

01-17-2009 at 10:19 AM
Kwakstur
Oh. That makes sense. :look ...

:tongue

Good thing I didn't try entering the January contest with this.

EDIT: I understand my error in thinking now. Java needs runtimes, right?
But why would it need runtimes for a compiled language?

I should've known better since I had in my possession an IDE with Compile and Build functions. But it still does not make sense that a compiled language would need runtimes to work on other machines.

EDIT March 2009: I figured out why this is the way it is soon after the above edit, but forgot to write it.

Apparently, Java is special in that it compiles to an intermediate form that serves to optimize both speed and compatibility. In this intermediate form, one binary can work for any platform, as long as that system has the appropriate runtimes installed.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 03-13-2009 01:22 AM]
01-17-2009 at 07:53 PM
Curzon
This is J2ME. Made for ordinary phones. No touch screen needed. No camera needed. No GPS needed. No motion detector needed.

I do not really know FX, but I figure it can't be that hard to port...

Theoretically you could decompile .class files and make .java files from then, but that won't help, since the classes are obfuscated to save space (see the original thread, I don't have a link handy) and improve performance. You get a nice gibberish of code, hat will most probably not even compile anymore. The classes and methods have names like a, b, c, d, ...

03-12-2009 at 10:09 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Mobile DROD files
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com