Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Troshian Tower (A Swordless Beethro.)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.5/10 (19 votes)
σ 2.30
Author Name:Rasmus Björling
Submitted By:Rheb
Hold Name:Troshian Tower
Theme:A Swordless Beethro.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:6
Number of Rooms:43
Number of Monsters:692
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:7 (+7 / -0)
Poster Message
Rheb
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1211
IP: Logged
icon Re: Troshian Tower (+1)  
Tahnan wrote:
Regardless of which: insofar as the "no changing rooms" policy is there to protect people's high scores, I feel like if an upload needs to be done to fix some rooms because of a patch, that doesn't license changing other, non-broken rooms to remove unintended solutions.

Yeah, I know, but there weren't so many people who had reached the room, so I thought it wouldn't hurt asking if anyone who had reached the room had anything against that I updated it.

Which rooms?

Click here to view the secret text

08-24-2007 at 01:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Troshian Tower (0)  
Actually, I've been looking at this room (and the similar secret), and they would in fact both still be possible.

[Last edited by Syntax at 08-24-2007 11:45 PM : Presentation]
08-24-2007 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb
Syntax wrote:
Actually, I've been looking at this room (and the similar secret), and they would in fact both still be possible.

Ahh, that's a relief, I guess the room will just get a slightly different solution then :)

[Last edited by Rheb at 08-25-2007 06:38 PM]
08-25-2007 at 06:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Tahnan wrote:
Regardless of which: insofar as the "no changing rooms" policy is there to protect people's high scores, I feel like if an upload needs to be done to fix some rooms because of a patch, that doesn't license changing other, non-broken rooms to remove unintended solutions.
Maybe I'm one of the only ones that thinks so, but I've always believed that the architect should be able to modify high-scorable rooms. If an architect already has to power to nullify high scores (by marking any room as unscorable), what's wrong with wiping out scores with the end result of improving the quality of a room? I feel that as a community, we should be more open to the (appropriate!) revision of holds and less concerned about holding onto our #1's. Yes, I know revision is what the Architecture board is for, but there's hardly any way an architect can claim that their expansive hold is 100% bug-free for the holds board.

Also, as I've said before, I would like the ability to remove an entire hold from CaravelNet, though I don't know what sort of technical problems might arise from that. Ben Chisel v2 was released with the thought that I could remove v1 from the holds listing. Now the two releases are just terribly redundant. Should I just nullify all the #1's from v1 to prove a point?

Sorry for the hijack. This is a bit more of a hot-button issue for me than I realized when I started the post.

08-26-2007 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Sorry for the hijack....
No worries. In the interest of antihijacking, response in this thread.
08-27-2007 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Better not wait til I finish the last room since I'm not making much progress.

Fine effort (again) Rheb. There are plenty of rooms that make you laugh once you actually manage to dance your way though them.
09-02-2007 at 12:50 AM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
Just a 3.1 update.

NPCs are allowed hasted sword hits still, so only Guards, Slayers and Stalwarts are restricted in this case. I've not seen the higher floors to verify for myself, but if you're using a stationary NPC, then the solution should be unchanged.

Troshian Tower doesn't emerge unscathed from 3.1 as it currently stands however:

Anyways, thought you might want to know before the patch (and all accompanying changes) went final, so you have time to discuss things before they become definite problems.
09-11-2007 at 08:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rheb
TFMurphy wrote:
Just a 3.1 update.
Troshian Tower doesn't emerge unscathed from 3.1 as it currently stands however:

Anyways, thought you might want to know before the patch (and all accompanying changes) went final, so you have time to discuss things before they become definite problems.

Oh, no!:no I actually knew that how Guards and Slayers interacts with oremites were going to change, but I thought the change was only going to make Slayers and Guards stop killing other Slayers/Guards that's standing on oremites...
Well, I'm not sure if it matters much, but I'm really against this change. I actually liked the feeling that Slayers and Guards doesn't understand oremites completely, and these are two of the best rooms in the hold :weep

[Last edited by Rheb at 09-11-2007 03:44 PM]
09-11-2007 at 03:01 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734

File: Troshian Tower.JPG (123.7 KB)
Downloaded 71 times.
License: Public Domain
I really liked this hold, but there is some strange issue which makes it unconquerable, at least for me.

The problem is in Second Level 1N1E. Look at the picture attached to see. I went to the Hints & Solutions board to find an answer. Here is a link to the proper topic. There are three demos there, and one (The last one by iamyum), in theory is Victory demo. But no, Player gets killed on Tenth move by roach, which shouldn't be unbrained, but is unbrained, because Decoy was placed on fuse to kill brain, which cannot be killed by any other way, and that fuse almost immediately killed the other brain, which should die at the end of the room.

I am using TCB *.56 if it matters :).

Other than this big-small problem, I enjoyed this hold really much ^^.

[Last edited by skell at 02-10-2008 11:34 AM]
02-10-2008 at 11:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Ow. Looks like Rheb used a red sister gate here to make the other brain stand out, but the sister gate closing on turn 0 now breaks fuses (which it should IMHO)...

Still, that can be easily fixed by simply replacing that red sister gate with a normal wall...

np: Turning Dragon - Ache of the North (Clark)

02-10-2008 at 11:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rheb
icon Re: Troshian Tower (+2)  
skell wrote:
I really liked this hold, but there is some strange issue which makes it unconquerable, at least for me.

The problem is in Second Level 1N1E. Look at the picture attached to see. I went to the Hints & Solutions board to find an answer. Here is a link to the proper topic. There are three demos there, and one (The last one by iamyum), in theory is Victory demo. But no, Player gets killed on Tenth move by roach, which shouldn't be unbrained, but is unbrained, because Decoy was placed on fuse to kill brain, which cannot be killed by any other way, and that fuse almost immediately killed the other brain, which should die at the end of the room.

I am using TCB *.56 if it matters :).

Other than this big-small problem, I enjoyed this hold really much ^^.
Yeah, as Briareos says that room used to work fine before .56. Well, I agree it's a good change, (even though I really get the feeling caravel team have something against this hold :P). Here's a version where I've fixed the issue, so if a HA would be kind enough to confirm that there isn't any other issues with this version, Schik can upload the hold.

Oh, and I'm glad you liked the hold skell :)

Edit: I'll delete the attachment once the hold is updated.

[Last edited by Rheb at 10-29-2008 05:15 PM]
02-11-2008 at 05:40 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
I just wanted to say that the post-master final room is wicked! It has to be one of the hardest rooms I've ever played.
04-14-2008 at 02:47 PM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Thanks to Schik for updating this hold. Second Level 1N1E is now possible in 3.2. :)
05-20-2008 at 03:11 AM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Thanks to Schik for updating this hold. Second Level 1N1E is now possible in 3.2. :)

So does that leave Troshian fully functional? I keep meaning to check it out when there's no more outstanding issues.. and there seem to always be some.

05-20-2008 at 04:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I am not aware of any outstanding issues. This hold works.
05-20-2008 at 04:54 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Troshian Tower (A Swordless Beethro.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com