Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Doors
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ed Crash
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
IP: Logged

File: Doors by Ed Crash.hold (138.6 KB)
Downloaded 56 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Doors (+1)  
Hope It will show on hold boards!
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Ed Crash at 06-13-2007 03:43 PM]
06-13-2007 at 02:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
icon Re: Doors (0)  
Downloading this now.

06-13-2007 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Geiler Hengst
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
icon Re: Doors (+1)  
Ok... probably thats your first hold...

I really dont want to scare first time hold makers away, as everyone started probably with sth like this. Nevertheless i got to say, thats the first piece of hold i have ever seen. Even Evil bad retaurant was better and that was actually meant as a joke. Some tipps to improve your holds

1.) PLAY through it once before u publish it. If you dont like a single room or find it boring or tedious or whatever change IT! And dont tell me you liked the last orb "puzzle" or the tar stuff maze nonsense.

2.) HAve a look at the whole thing before you publish it. If you have the feeling there is not a single new idea in it OR it looks like nothing OR it looks like it was produced in 10mins DONT PUBLISH IT. If you could put in 2 ANDs insteat of the ORs DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT PUBLISHING IT!!!

3.) in one room you actually showed hold design potential (halph's mirror image) that's good... but please really before u publish this hold CHANGE A LOT!!!

4.)

06-13-2007 at 07:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
Rule One of Architecture: Don't Irritate the Player.

I got so utterly bored by the concept of Yellow Doors: 1N3W that I have no desire to see what might be beyond it. I dread to think what the "tar maze" could have looked like.
06-13-2007 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Tahnan wrote:

I got so utterly bored by the concept of Yellow Doors: 1N3W that I have no desire to see what might be beyond it. I dread to think what the "tar maze" could have looked like.
Yellow Doors: 1N3W is MUCH worse than the tar maze. The tar maze is just about 10 or 15 (I can't remember exactly) tar mothers, around 30 trap doors (which are visible before the first spawn), and the stairs blocked by a red door, also hidden under the tar. But it helps a lot that it is possible to kill the mothers, exit the room, and then drop the red door and exit.

06-13-2007 at 08:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Geiler Hengst
yea i did that but it was still no fun...
06-13-2007 at 09:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Rank Points: 453
There were some pretty ugly rooms here, and no new ideas, like said before. And the story doesn't make any sense, that is, if it is a 'story'. But, it's an alright hold, I guess. Use it to kill twenty minutes.

Edit: The tar 'maze' was alright, with transparent tar, it was more or less a breeze. At least it has plenty of checkpoints. :)

And black doors and tarstuff 4W: thank gob for the LOCK switch!

[Last edited by tokyokid at 06-14-2007 01:16 AM]
06-14-2007 at 01:06 AM
Ed Crash

File: Doors Yellow doors and orbs 1N3W Victory.demo (794 bytes)
Downloaded 23 times.
Tahnan wrote:

:(

06-15-2007 at 06:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ed Crash

File: 2hardroomsremade.hold (696 KB)
Downloaded 28 times.
:angry

06-15-2007 at 06:41 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Ed Crash wrote:
Tahnan wrote:

:(
A victory demo isn't the point. I didn't say that I thought it couldn't be done, I said that I thought it was boring and irritating.
06-15-2007 at 09:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
You really should have replaced the first post's attachment and edited your message to say you did, and how you modified the hold.

[Last edited by Monkey at 06-15-2007 10:05 PM]
06-15-2007 at 09:48 PM
Monkey
Sorry for double post...
Yellow Doors, 1N3W is now way too easy. Perhaps you could make that room with the blue door to be non-required, and make that orb that opens the exit surrounded in blue door.
Just a thought.

[Last edited by Monkey at 06-15-2007 10:04 PM]
06-15-2007 at 10:04 PM
Ed Crash

File: Doors.hold (696 KB)
Downloaded 24 times.
Monkey wrote:
Sorry for double post...
Yellow Doors, 1N3W is now way too easy. Perhaps you could make that room with the blue door to be non-required, and make that orb that opens the exit surrounded in blue door.
Just a thought.

umm

06-22-2007 at 03:13 PM
Monkey
I didn't say remove the orb! Just surround it in blue door!

06-22-2007 at 10:00 PM
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
Okay, I haven't tried this yet, but looking at the terrible response from the others (and I've never seen them this mean), let me say, never put your very first hold on the web. I still haven't put more than one on the web (mostly due to a short attention span), but I can say this: no matter how long it takes you to make it, a first hold always looks like it was done in 10 minutes.

06-22-2007 at 11:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ed Crash

File: Doors.hold (696.1 KB)
Downloaded 26 times.
Monkey wrote:
I didn't say remove the orb! Just surround it in blue door!

By the way...
06-23-2007 at 07:54 AM
Geiler Hengst
bad idea...

you got to enter the exit room before the level is finished, so you cant finish the hold right now!
06-23-2007 at 10:38 AM
Samuel
Rank Points: 69
I was really likeing it at the start bnut when i came to the room with orbs and doors i just decided to give up

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
07-14-2007 at 07:55 AM
Monkey
icon Re: Doors (-1)  
2 words.
Pointless bump.:(
This thread was dead, and if a thread is dead, you should probably resort to the guidelines in this thread.:yes
Just a pointer to newbies on this forum.:smile

07-14-2007 at 05:15 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Doors
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com