Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : What defines a bump "okay"? (There needs to be some guidelines for bumping.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
IP: Logged
icon What defines a bump "okay"? (+1)  
I'm wondering:
When is it okay to bump a topic, and how? What justifies an okay bump? What are the guidelines for bumping a topic?

So, yeah. Guidelines would be appreciated.

07-06-2007 at 06:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: What defines a bump "okay"? (+1)  
* feature requests, hints and solutions, electronic games, holds == always necro, never repeat topic (but see final statement).
* forum games == maybe necro if you realllllly think the game didn't die for a reason. but go back and re-think that, please.
* birthday threads on anything == necro, please.
* other threads on anything == depends on the topic, but most should be left dead and even if you think you have more to add, maybe it isn't _that_ clever and should just go unsaid.

I'm not in charge, so someone who is may want to formalize these or similar guidelines and extend them to the other topic areas.

all this is assuming you have more to add. if all you want to do is type "bump" then the guideline is "never."

07-06-2007 at 06:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: What defines a bump "okay"? (0)  
I play the n00b again. What does "necro" mean?

And, about bumping, you never need to bump a topic on this forum; it goes too slowly. Maybe you might have to bump an H&S topic if (somehow) nobody saw it, but that's it.

Otherwise, post in any topic you want to. It's okay to revive a dead topic (I think). I just ignore the last timestamp when I want to post. Especially in the Holds board or the H&S board.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 07-06-2007 06:44 PM]
07-06-2007 at 06:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
Kwakstur wrote:
And, about bumping, you never need to bump a topic on this forum; it goes too slowly. Maybe you might have to bump an H&S topic if (somehow) nobody saw it, but that's it.
Not true. There's this topic in the General board, called DROD Story, where you can post stories about DROD. And I put the 1st chapter of a story called "The Invasion of Rooted Empire", and I just made the second chapter, and DROD Story is off the 1st page. So, yeah.

[off-topic]Since I said all this, can I make a new topic for my story? Is it justified?[/off-topic]

[Last edited by Monkey at 07-06-2007 07:06 PM]
07-06-2007 at 07:00 PM
silver
Rank Points: 915
adding chapter 2 to a story you started in another thread is an example of a perfect reason to perform thread necromancy (i.e. revive an old thread, not start a new one).

07-06-2007 at 07:23 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Kwakstur wrote:
I play the n00b again. What does "necro" mean?
To practice the forbidden art of necromancy on a forum topic(Read: post on a dead thread)
07-07-2007 at 03:46 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: What defines a bump "okay"? (+2)  
We are bump-friendly here, moreso than other forums at least, but this will probably change if people bump threads for no good reason.

I can think of some good reasons not to bump:

* You have nothing to add to the conversation.
* You are attempting to revive a conversation that is already finished, and you didn't read the conversation that took place.
* You are attempting to revive a conversation that went nowhere, or went off-track, or that no-one was particularly interested in having.
* You just want attention.

Other than that, it's probably okay.

07-07-2007 at 06:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: What defines a bump "okay"? (+2)  
A general guide to forum necromancy.

1: Does the forum prefer you revive an earlier thread, or post a new one?

This changes from forum to forum. Generally, my guide is: If it's on the last couple pages, revive, if not, post a new one, unless it's some hideously massive thread of unbelievable power, in which case, you know, you revive it if you have some worthwhile contribution.

2: IS your contribution worthwhile?

Why are you bumping? Is it like the Riddle of the Trinket, where we've been frickin' wondering for like years and it still hasn't been solved? Is it the Riddle of the Bar thread, because you noticed if you click the 245th pixel from the right, 17th from the bottom, your rank point total becomes 9001? Or is it the predict the next poster thread, because you hate puppies and rainbows.

If you have a good contribution to the thread, bumping is always worthwhile.

3: If you don't have a worthwhile contribution, is there something in the thread everyone needs to see again?

Remember, we've all probably read the thread. If there's a reason we'll want to read it again, sure, bump it for us. If not, or you just want to say 'that's an awesome thread'--we know it's an awesome thread. We posted it. We were there, it was absolutely frigging killer. No bump necessary, or desired.

4: Finding the thread in the search function and failing miserably at reading dates!

We've all done it. It's cool. Your best thing here is to edit and go 'oh crap, this is like two years old'.

07-07-2007 at 11:03 PM
jamie
Rank Points: 365
icon Re: What defines a bump "okay"? (+5)  
Mattcrampy wrote:

I can think of some good reasons not to bump:

* You have nothing to add to the conversation.
* You are attempting to revive a conversation that is already finished, and you didn't read the conversation that took place.
* You are attempting to revive a conversation that went nowhere, or went off-track, or that no-one was particularly interested in having.
* You just want attention.

Those are the main 4 reasons I post at all :(

07-08-2007 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
THREAD OVA~

Jamie wins. D:
07-09-2007 at 04:24 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
jamie wrote:

Those are the main 4 reasons I post at all :(

Well, I wasn't going to come and say it right out...

07-10-2007 at 06:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Rank Points: 365
:lol I knew you were thinking of me!! :lol

07-12-2007 at 04:08 AM
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
By the way, this does not qualify for a bump to be okay.

This is a necro, which is usually not okay. In fact, many result in mod-downs.

09-06-2007 at 07:40 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : What defines a bump "okay"? (There needs to be some guidelines for bumping.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com