Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Story Foreseekers (spoiler warning, entries may reveal spoilers)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Jeff_Ray...
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 962
IP: Logged
icon Story Foreseekers (spoiler warning, entries may reveal spoilers) (0)  
Say, did you ever think of what would be the story to the next DROD? Well, for those who completed the game, you can make a short hold (maximum 9 rooms) showing to us what is the story you think will be in DROD 4. People who haven't finished DROD TCB can also enter, but it will be in a different category.

Rules:
-You can have puzzle rooms, but please focus on the story!
-You can have up to nine rooms and one entry.
-When you submit your entry, please tell me if you conquered DROD TCB or not. No lies, ok? Because I will check your file if it relates to the ending of TCB or not if you say you did.
-I'd best like if the Caravel Team keep the story of DROD 4 for themselves.

(Caravel Team, tell me if it's ok for me to have such a contest)

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 05-20-2007 03:22 PM]
05-20-2007 at 03:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
icon Re: Story Foreseekers (spoiler warning, entries may reveal spoilers) (0)  
Jeff_Ray... wrote:

If you mean this legally, then there is absolutely no way in which the Caravel Team can block such a contest.
05-20-2007 at 03:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I'm tempted to enter, with things that are partly taken from JtRH discussions and partly made up out of whole cloth, and see what sort of confusion goes on.

05-21-2007 at 08:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
-I'd best like if the Caravel Team keep the story of DROD 4 for themselves.

I can't imagine them ever doing anything else at the moment!! ;)

[Last edited by Elfstone at 05-21-2007 06:18 PM]
05-21-2007 at 06:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Dex Stewart wrote:
Jeff_Ray... wrote:

If you mean this legally, then there is absolutely no way in which the Caravel Team can block such a contest.

Um, sure they can. Caravel owns these forums and can decide what is posted here and what isn't, and can delete posts at their discretion.

There is a potential problem with this kind of contest - say person X submits a contest entry, which happens to resemble the actual future plotline of DROD 4 (or an SmS, or whatever). When DROD 4 is released, that person might get upset and blame Caravel for stealing their idea. And what happens if person Y posts an idea that is actually better than the one currently planned for DROD 4? If Caravel uses the idea without crediting person Y, that's plagarism. If Caravel credits person Y, then they're open to complaints by other people with similar ideas. So, Caravel may decide not to use the idea. But then, there's always the possibility that if it wasn't for person Y, then Erik or Mike or me or someone on the team would have come up with the idea on their own. So person Y's contest entry basically forced Caravel to avoid using a good idea.

This is all hypothetical, and it's up to Erik and Mike to decide how serious a concern this is.

05-21-2007 at 11:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
:blink OK then. Um. Good point, eytanz. How about we have one requirement for entering the contest be concession of intellectual property rights to Caravel, if we don't cancel the thing altogether?

05-22-2007 at 05:07 AM
silver
Rank Points: 915
how about we make a contest about making your own story, rather than trying to muscle in on Erik's story?

05-22-2007 at 05:18 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
How about a story that is based on the relevations that occur at the end of TCB, but must in no way refer or mention Beethro.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-29-2007 10:20 AM]
05-22-2007 at 07:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
personally, I'd prefer we stay away from the speculation on those particular revelations, and let Erik's vision lead us there - for all the reasons eyetanz mentioned, plus ... it just doesn't feel right to me. Erik clearly already has this cliffhanger partially played out in his mind, and we should wait for his hints about how it will resolve. but that might just be me.

[Last edited by silver at 05-22-2007 09:07 AM]
05-22-2007 at 08:03 AM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
icon Re: Story Foreseekers (spoiler warning, entries may reveal spoilers) (+1)  
NiroZ wrote:
How about a story that is based on the relevations that occur at the end of TCB, but must in no way refer or mention Beethro.

Two ideas which could eliminate alot of the issues with this contest (and make it a much much sillier contest indeed).

1.) Speculate what would happen after or during TCB if Beethro were replaced with some other character or person (IE: Spiderman, Ayn Rand, Ted Nugent, etc)
or
2.) Pretend that you're speculating on what will happen after KDD or JTRH, before the given sequel came out, and try to come up with something thats absurdly and terribly wrong, and yet would have been plausible at the time.

05-22-2007 at 09:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Beef Row wrote:
Two ideas which could eliminate alot of the issues with this contest (and make it a much much sillier contest indeed).

2.) Pretend that you're speculating on what will happen after KDD or JTRH, before the given sequel came out, and try to come up with something thats absurdly and terribly wrong, and yet would have been plausible at the time.
Hey, I quite like that idea.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-29-2007 10:19 AM]
05-22-2007 at 09:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Story Foreseekers (spoiler warning, entries may reveal spoilers)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com