Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Misty Halo (Tar-stuf for pits)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Garlonuss
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 275
IP: Logged
icon Misty Halo (+1)  
Now that we have the platforms that allow Beethro to cross pits, how about something that only grows in the pits? My idea is similar to tar in how it grows, but it's more of a whispy gas I'm currently calling the Whispy Halo. Here's how it works:

The halo grows if it is connected to a halo mother (I haven't decided what to call it but I don't like the 'mother' name). Like Gel, it actually needs to be connected to grow. When it grows, if it covers Beethro, he's dead since it is a poisonous cloud. He can actually step into it accidentally if he's not careful, but it'd kill him. It is "cut"-able (as much as you can "cut" mist) at any point but only by a sword rotation which fans the mist away from both the spot the sword was on and the spot it moved to. Stabbing, sidestepping and backstepping won't do it. When it gets to be one square wide, it creates a Halo Angel which uses Raithwing movement.
The Halo can't grow over land because it needs great amounts of free space to spread out in. When it grows, it sends out tiny tendrils of mist and tries to grow, but these tendrils immediately die on the next turn if they are over land. This means that, if you are standing on the ground next to the halo on a turn when it is going to grow, the tendrils will hit you and kill you, but if you move away for that one turn and then move back one turn later, you'd be fine.

I think this has similar puzzle potential to most tar-stuff puzzles, but the dynamics of the matter itself are sufficiently different that it's not just a floating tar idea (as I see it, at least).

Comments? Criticism? Bueller?

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Garlonuss at 05-04-2007 05:10 PM]
05-04-2007 at 03:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
MeckMeck GRE
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 594
icon Re: Misty Halo (0)  
Garlonuss wrote:
He can actually step into it accidentally if he's not careful, but it'd kill him.

I like the idea in general, but I don't like this point. It's just annoying to have such a trivial way of dieing.... I'd suggest that Beethro will just bump into the gas like in a wall.
05-04-2007 at 04:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Garlonuss
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
Garlonuss wrote:
He can actually step into it accidentally if he's not careful, but it'd kill him.

I like the idea in general, but I don't like this point. It's just annoying to have such a trivial way of dieing.... I'd suggest that Beethro will just bump into the gas like in a wall.

Yeah, I wasn't exactly sure of that myself, but I figured that, since it was a gas, what was there to bump into? But mainly I was thinking that it would be a means of forcing you to be careful of what you do if you are using a mimic to kill the Halo. I know I should have probably mentioned that specifically in my original post.

Also, I think that, since it is a gas, it shouldn't count as a large monster when it comes to the platforms. (i.e. a platform can move freely underneath the halo, as long as you stay out of the mist.) For that reason, the Halo should be allowed to grow over top of platforms as well.

[Last edited by Garlonuss at 05-04-2007 05:07 PM]
05-04-2007 at 05:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
       This is a misty element that exists over pits 
+ You manage this element through usage of platforms
----------------------------------------------------
                    This element should spawn wubbas

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 05-04-2007 05:52 PM]
05-04-2007 at 05:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Everything should spawn wubbas.

Actually, I want a version of DROD 3.0 in which everything spawns wubbas around it every 10 turns. Even Beethro.
05-04-2007 at 09:57 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Sidestepping should also work for fanning. And this is an intriguing idea.

05-04-2007 at 10:55 PM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Banjooie wrote:
Everything should spawn wubbas.

Actually, I want a version of DROD 3.0 in which everything spawns wubbas around it every 10 turns. Even Beethro.

Heh, I hacked a version of DOOM once so one of the guns would spawn exploding barrels. Also, whenever a barrel exploded it spawned barrels. Including the barrels fired by this gun. Not pretty. It pretty much would ignite the whole level. Including you. This sounds like the close equivalent.

05-05-2007 at 12:57 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Beef Row wrote:
Heh, I hacked a version of DOOM once so one of the guns would spawn exploding barrels.
So it was the "Barrel Firing Gun 9000" after all, eh? ;)

np: Pole - Klettern (3)

05-05-2007 at 11:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Monkey
Rank Points: 190
Back on topic:
I gotta name for the Halo Mother, because you don't like it:
The Bringer of Clouds
(just that the 'clouds' are acid, and can kill you)

[Last edited by Monkey at 05-19-2007 02:57 AM]
05-19-2007 at 02:57 AM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
Garlonuss wrote:
MeckMeck GRE wrote:
Garlonuss wrote:

Yeah, I wasn't exactly sure of that myself, but I figured that, since it was a gas, what was there to bump into?

Since this thread already has been mini-necroe-ed (-), I figured I might say that the same applies to pits. B.B. is just to experienced to walk into it.
05-19-2007 at 02:30 PM
Garlonuss
Dex Stewart wrote:
Since this thread already has been mini-necroe-ed (-), I figured I might say that the same applies to pits. B.B. is just to experienced to walk into it.

Yes, but (now this is hair splitting, but here you go) he doesn't bump into them. He ghasps.

But, like I said, I wouldn't mention it except that I figured it would be an interesting dynamic in forcing you to take care with a mimic if doing a distance solution. As it is, you can force the mimic to press up against tarstuff (assuming his sword is in a position that won't destroy it) while you move to readjust your positional relationship with him. This would remove that possibility and add that consideration to the original placement of the mimic itself.

And as far as the trivial manner of dying, it makes little difference with Beethro directly so far as the puzzle is concerned, since, if you do accidentally step into it, you can back up that one move easily. I am aware that this may be seen as more trouble than needed, but to keep the functional dynamic I mentioned above, I see it as a minor thing.

I'm flexible on this point, but I figured it would add a dynamic that doesn't currently exist.

05-21-2007 at 05:40 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Misty Halo (Tar-stuf for pits)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com