Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.1 TCB Patch (Windows) (Build 54)
Page 2 of 11
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
IP: Logged
icon Re: 3.0.2 TCB Patch Candidate (0)  
Remlin wrote:
On the choose location screen, the mouse icon is constantly flickering back and forth between the sword and hourglass images, a couple of times per second.
I get the same, but I'm sure that it does this once per hold it calculates the conquered percentage for. At least it shows that DROD is working on something, so it really doesn't bother me - and lots of other Windows apps do the same.

04-27-2007 at 08:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
Doom wrote:
I'm experiencing frequent crashes with the new patch. This happens almost always when I either
- place a clone potion
- select another room in the restore screen (happens extremely frequently in TCB:AC. Seems like more evidence against clone potions)
The drod.err message is:
Assertion error in line 226 of .\CueEvents.cpp: "IS_VALID_CID(peCIDArray[wCIDI])"
Oops -- yeah, that's a new bug in this patch candidate. Will be fixed in rev2.

Edit: also added the newline to the infinite loop log message, and fixed that improper stalwart sword assertion error reported above.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 04-27-2007 08:39 PM]
04-27-2007 at 08:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Doom wrote:
mrimer wrote:

+ Aumtlich: now frozen entities are shaded red.
Mimics are not. Neither are unactivated clones, and while they turn red when selected, it might be a little clearer to have the color at all times.
Yeah, I missed these. Thanks. Fixed in rev2.

04-27-2007 at 08:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
icon Re: 3.0.2 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) -- rev 2 (0)  
Ugh. For no (good) reason, my ISP decided to turn off my internet service yesterday. Had something to do with PICNIC. Anyway, during my enforced hiatus, I made some improvements to the 3.0.2 patch (see first post). Now that my service is back on, I can post these goodies.

Since there were some major issues with the data upgrade process in rev1, I'll mention the improvements I made to the 3.0.2 data upgrade process in rev2 here:

* If upgrade is interrupted before completion, it will continue where it left off the next time DROD is started.
* A progress bar now displays upgrade activity.
* DROD won't remain whitescreened the whole time while the upgrade is proceeding.
* Reduced RAM memory usage significantly for people with a large player.dat file. Now it checks current available memory to minimize virtual memory swapping and shouldn't exhaust your virtual RAM or crash.
* Much faster! (should take less than five minutes for almost everyone)

If you think there was a problem with upgrading your 3.0.0 data when you ran rev1 of the 3.0.2 patch, then I'd recommend running this patch on your original 3.0.0 data and not on any 3.0.2 data you might have that you think could be corrupted.

04-27-2007 at 09:11 PM
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
icon Re: 3.0.2 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (0)  
Updating the files with version 2 of the patch was much better, and took about five minutes. My caravelnet key was invalid after doing the update, so I requested a new one and then it worked fine. I haven't had any problems with importing saves or playing, which is all I've tested.
04-28-2007 at 02:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
I've tried testing it, and it had exactly the same effect as rev1, the player files where sort of corrupted and the screen was on the right of the screen, and to mame a long story short, I accidentally deleted Drod TCB and when I reïnstall it, the first time it works fine, but the second time I get many strange beebs while the screen stays the same. Does anyone have an idea to solve it?

04-28-2007 at 07:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Dang! If I try to click Change Location, it crashes.

The error is:

Assertion error in line 1628 of .\DbHolds.cpp: "!"Bad player row.""

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 04-28-2007 03:34 PM]
04-28-2007 at 03:30 PM
Dolan42
Rank Points: 195
mrimer wrote:
! Briar: now doesn't expand against force arrows it is on top of.
In HV : Secret this change makes every demo invalid. The room is still possible to complete, it actually makes it rather harder. Not sure if this should really be considered a bug, but just thought people should know.

04-28-2007 at 04:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Dolan42 wrote:
In HV : Secret this change makes every demo invalid. The room is still possible to complete, it actually makes it rather harder. Not sure if this should really be considered a bug, but just thought people should know.
Ugh... Exactly how is that room "still completeable"?

The briar now grows so fast you can't even reach the black doors near the entrance before it kills you...

Please don't say "make mud grow over the pressure plates", or I'll :blowup...

np: Jimi Tenor & Kabu Kabu - Dede (Joystone)

04-28-2007 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dolan42
icon Re: 3.0.2 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+1)  
Yep, that's how it has to be done now. It's not too bad, only took an extra 600 or so moves :)

edit: Well, not over exactly, more like around.

[Last edited by Dolan42 at 04-28-2007 06:15 PM]
04-28-2007 at 06:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Dolan42 wrote:
Yep, that's how it has to be done now. It's not too bad, only took an extra 600 or so moves :)
:blowup

There, told 'ya...

np: Gui Boratto - Mr. Decay (Chromophobia)

04-28-2007 at 06:23 PM
Briareos
Dolan42 wrote:
edit: Well, not over exactly, more like around.
Sorry, I'm still not getting it - I can get one mud baby on the leftmost pressure plate, but that's not enough to slow down the briar...

But anyway, I think this room needs a fix - maybe replacing the water pools with pits would do the trick?

np: Gui Boratto - The Blessing (Chromophobia)

[Last edited by Briareos at 04-28-2007 06:52 PM]
04-28-2007 at 06:52 PM
Dolan42
Briareos wrote:
Sorry, I'm still not getting it - I can get one mud baby on the leftmost pressure plate, but that's not enough to slow down the briar...

One baby is all that is needed. Opening that door gives the briar more room to expand and gives you just enough time to exit. I actually think the room is better this way, but that's probably only because I don't have to redo it ;)

04-28-2007 at 07:24 PM
Briareos
Dolan42 wrote:
One baby is all that is needed.
Gah... I had left a bit too much mud, so the black doors dropped too late...

But my opinion on this room needing a fix still stands.

np: Gui Boratto - Acrostico (Chromophobia)

04-28-2007 at 07:36 PM
Remlin
I had big problems with drod this morning. I could play with no problem, but I was getting suspicious that I never got the "xth place!" message. I hit f6 to check if demos were recording, and got a message along the lines of "Sending room conquer information to server...", and then drod just hung. After five minutes of waiting with no sign that drod was actually doing anything, I had to ctrl-alt-delete and kill it. After restarting I found that no demos were recorded.

I replayed a few rooms and then tried to quit by pressing 'esc'. Again, "sending room conquer information to server...", eventually had to ctrl-alt-delete and kill it, no demos recorded.

(I realize you're tracking no-demo-recorded bugs in the other thread, but this issue of drod hanging seems new with the patch so I'm posting here.)

[Last edited by Remlin at 04-29-2007 01:25 PM]
04-29-2007 at 01:23 PM
Remlin
Back to TCB, I redid Upper Lowest 1W and completed it in 66 moves. However hitting f6 shows only my original (200 odd) demo. I checked the My Scores tab in the High Scores section on the forum, and it claimed I had a new 66 move 1st place demo for Blue Rooms, Prologue, 2S1E! After the spider checked it, that demo was discarded.

This is all reproducible.

[Last edited by Remlin at 04-29-2007 01:49 PM]
04-29-2007 at 01:42 PM
Insane
Rank Points: 154
Well, it's a nice patch, if it weren't that it corrupted my latest DROD: The RPG revision.
I had a major update done (stats, stat points and stat builds), and suddenly al weird sorts of errors began. (See my post in the RPG's topic)
DROD.err kept saying something weird about invalid demos or something, when I tried deleting all demos from that hold.
Suddenly there appeared all the demos from TCB Demo (!), and DROD crashed when I changed rooms, instead of just beeping.
Then I tried re-importing the Hold, when the strange errors from my post began. At the end all lines of speech were corrupted, which I already fixed twice.
Now the RPG is back down to 9% of what it was, and I'm sitting here with my corrupted copy.

-Insane
04-29-2007 at 11:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: 3.0.2 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+2)  
So Insane, you backed up your DROD folder just like Mike highly recommended, right?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-30-2007 at 12:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
Clone bug: when I place one anywhere the game freezes and Vista says DROD has stopped responding, then when I next run it it makes beeping noises on the player selection, I might delete all of DROD: TCB and try again???

EXPORTING OWN HOLDS

[Last edited by Neathro at 04-30-2007 06:36 AM]
04-30-2007 at 06:28 AM
Dolan42
Neathro wrote:
Clone bug: when I place one anywhere the game freezes and Vista says DROD has stopped responding, then when I next run it it makes beeping noises on the player selection, I might delete all of DROD: TCB and try again???

Have you updated to rev 2? There was a bug in rev 1 that caused TCB to crash when placing a clone.

04-30-2007 at 06:34 AM
zaubberer
Rank Points: 251
ok, i don't know (again) if this is the correct place to ask for my problem, but i'm simply trying.

since i play with the TCB engine for a month the JtRH engine layed down unused. today i had to review a room in JtRH and got (how expected, because i had to request a new key during the installation of TCB) no connection to CN. i took the key i received for TCB and putted it into JtRH but it didn't work. so i requested a new one, filled it into JtRH and it worked fine.

next step was to put the same key into TCB and it works fine too. but now the JtRH engine can't connect to CN again.

i'm using JtRH 2.0.15 (Rev. 13) and TCB 3.0.0 on a Windows system.

is there a way to use JtRH and TCB with the same key? it would be nice if this could be done so, because i don't like the way to request lots of keys again and again.

zaubberer
:wizard
04-30-2007 at 08:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Insane
Rank Points: 154
Oneiromancer wrote:
So Insane, you backed up your DROD folder just like Mike highly recommended, right?

Game on,

Sure I did, but now DROD: The RPG is back down to revision 6, and with "corrupted copy" I meant the RPG version 7. ;)

Patch on,
-Insane

EDIT: I still thought I'd upload DROD.err

This error occurred, along with a beep, whenever I switched rooms.

-Insane

[Last edited by Insane at 04-30-2007 10:30 AM]
04-30-2007 at 10:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: 3.0.2 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+2)  
zaubberer wrote:
is there a way to use JtRH and TCB with the same key? it would be nice if this could be done so, because i don't like the way to request lots of keys again and again.

zaubberer

The mistake you are making is trying to use the same key for both installs. As far as I remember it works like this...

You request a key and put it into your DROD install. Every time you exit the game, that key is renewed on the server and in-game. So if you try to use the same key twice it will invalidate itself.

What you can do though, is request two keys and put one in each install. The server will allow you to run up to two keys concurrently without invallidating one of them.

This is similar to how I work with my work and home laptops. Both are able to connect to CaravelNet without having to renew my key each time.

Steve.
04-30-2007 at 10:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
I've got my drod working back a few days ago, and I think I know what causes all these crashes.

As said, the player.dat file splits itself in 4 on startup, didn't it, I think that DROD accidentaly makes corrupted player files.
after I installed 3.0.2 rev2, I saw that there was a file called Player_.da_, exactly in that way, after a while, after I uninstalled my game, I reïnstalled it , but upon starting up, I heared random beebs. and after I deleted that corrupted .dat file, everything suddenly worked fine again.

That patch made me lose some rooms in TCB, all my demos, however most of the highscores are still there, and some kind of fear that DROD Will go beeping when I start up.

04-30-2007 at 12:42 PM
zaubberer
Rank Points: 251
thnx, steve!

your workaround (two postings above) did it.

zaubberer
04-30-2007 at 04:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Also, will the custom character bug be fixed in rev3? It looks very ugly.

(The bug is that: if a custom character goes in darkness, a square appears)

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

05-01-2007 at 09:52 PM
mrimer
Timo006 wrote:
I've got my drod working back a few days ago, and I think I know what causes all these crashes.

As said, the player.dat file splits itself in 4 on startup, didn't it, I think that DROD accidentaly makes corrupted player files.
after I installed 3.0.2 rev2, I saw that there was a file called Player_.da_, exactly in that way, after a while, after I uninstalled my game, I reïnstalled it , but upon starting up, I heared random beebs. and after I deleted that corrupted .dat file, everything suddenly worked fine again.

That patch made me lose some rooms in TCB, all my demos, however most of the highscores are still there, and some kind of fear that DROD Will go beeping when I start up.
player_.da_ is not a corrupted player file. It is a new file that the upgrade process creates to place the player data into from the old player.dat. Once the upgrade process is complete, it renames player_.da_ to player.dat. That is -- the old player file is deleted and the new one takes its place.

If you're seeing a player_.da_ file sitting around on disk at any time other than when the upgrade process is occuring the first time you run the 3.0.2 patch, then that means the previous upgrade didn't complete successfully. Possible reasons for this are: (a) the user killed the upgrade process while patching 3.0.2 with rev1 and this file remained on disk, (b) there was a bug in the rev1 upgrade that got fixed in rev2, or (c) there's still a bug in the upgrade process, in which case you'd have to explain very clearly and in detail exactly how you patched your TCB installation to 3.0.2 for me to try to figure out where things went wrong.

Edit: In any event, DROD doesn't look at the player_.da_ file at all while playing the game, so I can't see any reason why deleting it manually would suddenly make beeps and errors in the game suddently stop happening.

[Last edited by mrimer at 05-04-2007 04:45 AM]
05-04-2007 at 04:42 AM
jmpava
icon Re: 3.0.2 TCB Patch Candidate (Windows) (+1)  
Just wanted to throw out that I finally got around to trying rev2 and the whole update process took about 1 1/2 minutes. Far cry from the over an hour I was seeing in rev 1 :thumbsup

Also: I never really got the comments about the title-menu readability until seeing this version. That IS much clearer. Nice!

Edit: Hmm... I'm also seeing all my demo's being gone, in both TCB and other holds. Unfortunately, I don't know for sure if that happened immediately upon updating, or after exporting and re-importing my player data and getting a LOT of demo errors (as described in http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=15603&page=0#182816.) I'm also sometimes getting beeping when I exit a room - but I think only one's where it's actually going to save a demo (that is, if I'm just walking through an already completed room, it doesn't beep when I exit, but it also doesn't show me as having demo's. On the one's where I get the beeps, the demo's show up when I go back into it) - , which gets accompanied with the same messages I got during the re-import process in drod.err:

Assertion error in line 348 of .\Db.cpp: "demoIndex.find(demoID) == demoIndex.end()"

Assertion error in line 349 of .\Db.cpp: "demosHoldIndex.find(demoID) == demosHoldIndex.end()""

Also, in some rooms, going to F6 is fine, but in some just pressing F6 crashes DROD outright, with the following in the drod.err:
Assertion error in line 1219 of .\DemosScreen.cpp: "pDemo"

Assertion error in line 741 of .\DemosScreen.cpp: "pDemo"

I'm not exactly certain what's different about the rooms where it does crash and the one's where it doesn't, except that it seems to happen all the time on the later floors (such as UL, LP, LPt) and not on earlier ones like HA. I never had that happen to me before updating to rev2.

[Last edited by jmpava at 05-04-2007 06:52 AM]
05-04-2007 at 05:53 AM
jmpava
Um... wow. Now I feel REALLY stupid.

As I did with rev1, I backed-up my main DROD:TCB by the time-honored method of making a copy of the dir in windows and renaming it to something else before running the rev2 update. Once I encountered the demo issues, I figured I'd go back to my 3.0.0 installation and wait for rev3, so I renamed the rev2 dir to DROD - The City Beneath~bad302rev2 and reverted the backup copy to the normal name of DROD - The City Beneath and went to open up the orig 3.0.0 copy. At which point I found caraval wasn't connecting, presumably because it had already switched over a few times from the other install. So, I went to open up the 3.0.2 rev 2 version in the ~bad302rev2 dir in order to copy out the caraval key... and it began updating my drod data files in the backed-up location. I guess because I had renamed it to the install location? I just figured it would just look local to itself, and wouldn't start auto-updating files in a completely different directory...

So now my "backup" player.dat is corrupted. Man... Guess I'm stuck on 3.0.2 rev2... :~(

Edit: Right, re-read my above post, saw the bit where it clearly said 'exported my player data', and am now proceeding to test if player data exported from 3.0.2 rev2 will import into 3.0.0. Here's hoping, eh? (Unfortunately, it requires me to re-download all the holds again...)

Further Edit: Phew. Ok, that did it, was able to restore 3.0.0 from the exported 3.0.2 player save. Even has my demo's and everything. Just a thought - how 'bout not doing auto-updates on stuff located in a completely different directory tree? Mostly, I'm just afraid I'll forget and have to go through this whole thing again in a week. :D

[Last edited by jmpava at 05-04-2007 08:07 AM]
05-04-2007 at 07:09 AM
Briareos
jmpava wrote:
So, I went to open up the 3.0.2 rev 2 version in the ~bad302rev2 dir in order to copy out the caraval key... and it began updating my drod data files in the backed-up location. I guess because I had renamed it to the install location? I just figured it would just look local to itself, and wouldn't start auto-updating files in a completely different directory...
Yeah, that's something easily overlooked...

Couldn't DROD check whether the path it is ran from contains the needed datafiles and in that case not use the install path that is stored in the registry, but the current working directory?

05-04-2007 at 08:56 AM
Page 2 of 11
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.1 TCB Patch (Windows) (Build 54)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com