Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Non-autoconnecting Plattforms (I just wonder why it isnt like this yet)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Geiler Hengst
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
IP: Logged
icon Non-autoconnecting Plattforms (0)  
Probably someone already came up with this when it was just gates in Drod 2.0. (that is with the impossibility to place 2 yellow gates next to each other without getting them combined automatically). It was such a big problem there, put now with plattforms which are moveable it makes leveldesign sometimes really more complicated (check out my puzzles in the architecure board, where i must use some scripts to get the effect i want) I guess implemetation of that cant be too hard as u can move plattform later next to each without connecting them. SO i wonder why this isnt possible right from the beginning.

04-17-2007 at 05:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Non-autoconnecting Plattforms (0)  
It took a couple of readings, but I think you are asking for the ability to define how platforms are connected at the beginning of a room instead of always having adjacent squares be connected? It's not a horrible idea, but...I don't really see an easy way of doing it in the editor. I mean, you could have two types of platform, "connecting" and "non-connecting" but what if you wanted a piece of platform to connect to the one above it but not to the one to the right, but then you wanted the one to the right to connect to a different one? It's pretty complicated and I don't think it's necessarily worth it. I guess I'd just have characters move the platforms into place while the player is otherwise delayed or something like that. I actually asked Mike if he could include a "Wait for platform at..." command, it could help with things like that.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-17-2007 at 05:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Geiler Hengst
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
icon Re: Non-autoconnecting Plattforms (+1)  
For the editor it wouldnt be a big deal at all... Mouse CLick and u start a new plattform, then move the mouse with the button clicked and u "paint" it. For a new plattform click on an empty space, to enlarge an existing one just click on an existing one and expand it. When you release the mousebutton you stop painting.

Sorry for my english but i hope its understandable.
04-17-2007 at 05:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
That's actually a pretty elegant solution, I admit I didn't think of it, not being much of an art program user. Who knows, Mike might even like the idea, I'll point him at the thread to see if it would be a really hard thing to code up. It doesn't affect platform functionality, just how you can initially place them in a room...so fundamentally there's probably no reason that one can't do it.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-17-2007 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Oneiromancer wrote:
That's actually a pretty elegant solution, I admit I didn't think of it, not being much of an art program user. Who knows, Mike might even like the idea, I'll point him at the thread to see if it would be a really hard thing to code up. It doesn't affect platform functionality, just how you can initially place them in a room...so fundamentally there's probably no reason that one can't do it.

Would there be any reason it affects functionality for gates or pressure plates, either? If this is implemented for one, it seems like it might be worth implementing for all 3.

The platform one is still the most valuable I think, since alot of good puzzles can be built around freeing one platform from a cluster of them in a small space.

04-18-2007 at 01:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
It would fundamentally change yellow doors and pressure plates, though, since their groupings are not stored. It would probably be a lot easier to implement for platforms, since they must store groupings (although I cannot say that I know whether or not these are made in the editor or when the room loads. If the latter, then I guess it wouldn't actually be easy.
04-18-2007 at 02:02 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
icon Re: Non-autoconnecting Plattforms (+1)  
Beef Row wrote:
Would there be any reason it affects functionality for gates or pressure plates, either? If this is implemented for one, it seems like it might be worth implementing for all 3.
Well, I don't really feel the need to have them for gates. For one, we'd have to update the graphics to differentiate between two sets of connected open gates, on any side. Same for pressure plates. Platforms are already graphically set up to differentiate between different groups. Not that this is necessarily a good reason to not do it, but we've known about the gate issue for a long time and never done anything about it, and I think for plates it also isn't so good because of having to click on them to see what they do, etc. At least platforms don't have any hidden properties and it's already been established that they can be next to each other, they just can't yet start that way.

Game on,

04-18-2007 at 03:40 AM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
AFAIK, this would not be an easy thing to change, because platforms are grouped when the room loads (there's currently no information in the .hold-file about platform "groups").

[Last edited by Stefan at 04-18-2007 07:37 AM]
04-18-2007 at 07:37 AM
hyperme
Rank Points: 1117
Here an idea: Two groups of platform for pits and two groups for water! Lets make the developer's lives even harder!

[Last edited by hyperme at 04-18-2007 06:45 PM]
04-18-2007 at 06:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1980
icon Re: Non-autoconnecting Plattforms (+2)  
Four color theorem, anybody?

If we allow four textures for each platform type, each of which connect to only their own texture, then logistically, this problem is solved.

04-20-2007 at 06:01 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
RoboBob3000 wrote:

If we allow four textures for each platform type, each of which connect to only their own texture, then logistically, this problem is solved.
and it also adds to the visuals!
04-20-2007 at 06:49 AM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
RoboBob3000 wrote:

I don't want to have to remember four different platform styles. I want this to be simply fixed. :thumbsdown

04-21-2007 at 12:24 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Non-autoconnecting Plattforms (I just wonder why it isnt like this yet)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com