Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Does anyone actually read the ratings? (Does it affect whether you download the hold?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Does it affect whether you download the hold?
Yes! I don't download unless it's (arbitrary number) or higher
Well, if it's rated really low, I'll think twice.
Every hold is sacred, every hold is good...
I grin and bear it for high scores
I don't understand why my opinion isn't in this list
I understand why my opinion isn't on here but I'm voting this anyway
Longcat is long.
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged
icon Does anyone actually read the ratings? (0)  
I've noticed a lot of nonsense about thread hold ratings, and I came to realize that I myself look at holds, see 'rating: 2/10', I /chortle/ to myself, and then I download and play it anyway.

Now, I know a bunch of you would be playing Bad Evil Restaurant to optimize it: That's what option 4 is for.

You can click multiple things because I know some of you are going to be like 'Well, I love high scores, but I don't feel this is entirely with me' so just don't vote for /everything at once/. I'm trying to allow for you people with tricky opinions here. Also, some of you are aware of Longcat's length in addition to your opinion on hold quality.

04-17-2007 at 08:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
icon Re: Does anyone actually read the ratings? (0)  
Banjooie wrote:
I've noticed a lot of nonsense about thread hold ratings, and I came to realize that I myself look at holds, see 'rating: 2/10', I /chortle/ to myself, and then I download and play it anyway.
Two questions: What's the nonsense you noticed, and do you (intend to) try every hold that gets released?
04-17-2007 at 09:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Specifically: People being terribly worried that they've voted a hold incorrectly. I seem to remember one particular thread got very very heated over a 2? Yeah.

Also, I /have/ tried pretty much every hold released.
04-17-2007 at 09:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Remlin
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 181
It's been my experience that having a low fun rating means the hold is bad, but having a high fun rating doesn't mean the hold is good. It's a 50-50 at that point. I don't know, are people afraid of offending someone and erring on the side of high ratings? Are you giving mercy-points to holds that have had a lot of work put into them, even though the end-product still sucks monkeys?

I usually trust the comments in the hold thread (jbluestein does the community a big service by periodically bumping some really old hold with his critiques) and the architect's name more than the rating. I'll still play almost anything, but it's always good to know what I'm about to dive into.
04-17-2007 at 09:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2485
When I first started player user holds, I chose holds that were either highly ranked or highly brained. Without any other information you do need something to help decide which hold to play.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 04-17-2007 09:36 AM]
04-17-2007 at 09:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
[edit -- still talking to Banjooie]

OK, if you take a look at all of them, then I guess you're inherently a more likely supplier than user of hold scores. Someone who is going to grab the holds anyway doesn't particularly need other people's opinions on them -- makes sense, to me at least.

I do use the ratings (in the sense of "go to the holds list, sort by rating, scan down the list for unknown holds with interesting blurbs and not too many brains").

[Last edited by Znirk at 04-17-2007 09:53 AM]
04-17-2007 at 09:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
I never check the ratings and I don't think I have ever rated a hold. Too short an attention span to remember what each hold was... umm, sorry, what was the question?
04-17-2007 at 09:44 AM
Banjooie
only half of the people voting agree that longcat is long

???
04-17-2007 at 10:56 AM
geomatrx
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: Does anyone actually read the ratings? (+1)  
I look at the number of rooms first. If there are more rooms, the rating is allowed to be lower.

Short holds with a high rating tend to be very intricate, thought provoking rooms that you could spend tens of mintutes trying to solve. I don't download these very much, even though they may be very good.

Rooms with hundreds of rooms and a four rating, I have to download to be curious and just spend the time running through empty corridors - much more rewarding :D

MetDROiD Echoes
Deadly Gold Mine of Death (Architecture)
04-17-2007 at 12:19 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
As far as I know my tastes isn't very compatible with the raiting system. I tend to hate tedious rooms, but others loves them (Rabscuttle has labled himself as a "long-room masochist"). On the other hand I have never seen a hold I like being voted as lower than seven.

Difficulty is off course importent as well. If a hold is (in my opinion) tedious I prefer if it's an easy hold, since then it's easier to rush through it. The three holds I have hated the most have a really high raiting. In one of them there is a room where the architect says "you'll probably hate me for doing a room like this" on a scroll. I don't hate the architect, but I do hate a room like that. When a solve a room which felt really tedious I leave it behind with no satisfaction, but disgust. Not a nice feeling.

If you take Bad Evil Restaurant for example it is undoubtly bad, yet it doesn't pain me at all to play it through. I can do it quickly without any great thought, and if I should rate it after actuall enjoyment I would give it a five. I didn't really enjoy it, but neither was it a bad experience to play it.

As a general rule I tend to not rate down holds with really well thought out rooms which obviously have been apreciated by lots of players. I didn't vote for Bad Evil Restaurant either :)

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 04-17-2007 03:20 PM]
04-17-2007 at 03:16 PM
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
When I was playing more holds, I tended to play only high-brain holds, as those tended to be the ones I would rate as most fun. After playing/slogging through more than a few "Kill 300 roaches" rooms, I just got tired of that. Now, though, I typically only play Smitemaster Selection Holds since they tend to be challenging, well written, and well varied with their elements.

04-17-2007 at 06:52 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
I have found ratings generally quite useful; typically if a hold is rated lower than 6, I'd regret playing it except in special cases like Bad Evil Restaurant & such ilk.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 04-18-2007 02:14 AM : huzzah! Tahnan convinced me to change two whole letters of my post!]
04-17-2007 at 11:23 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2460
Jatopian wrote:
I have found ratings generally quite useful; typically if a hold is rated lower than 6, I'll regret playing it...
Wow, I adore this statement. First, because this sort of if/then is usually causal: "If a hold is rated lower than 6, I won't play it" (i.e., because it's rated lower than 6, I won't play it). So my first reading is that Jatopian will regret playing the hold because of its low rating.

Beyond that, though, "regret" is typically factive--its complement must be true. (e.g., I can't say "I regret moving to Sweden" because, well, I didn't move to Sweden). So my second reading of the sentence, in which the if/then is taken as a simple indicator and not a causal relationship, is essentially, "If a hold is rated lower than 6, it indicates that when I play it, which I will, I'll regret it." Which makes me think, then why did you play it?

I know neither is what Jatopian had in mind. Sorry, it's just my job to do these things.

Anyway, I think ratings are indeed quite helpful. Less so to me now that I'm a ScoreWhore who'll play anything at all if it means more high scores; but quite useful when I was starting out and looking for the "good" holds to play. It wasn't perfect, but perhaps it did let me avoid some bad ones. And it also serves the purpose of being informative to the architect--an overall rating of 3.1 indicates that perhaps you've done something wrong in your design.
04-17-2007 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
BDR
Rank Points: 106
Mostly I read the ratings to see what I'm going to be in for: I do download highly-rated stuff first, but I've also on occasion downloaded low-rated stuff just out of curiosity as to what makes a bad hold. If I ever get around to 'seriously' playing DROD, I'll probably end up playing all of them, though.
04-18-2007 at 01:03 AM
Perndog
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
I have to play Bad Evil Restaurant now because of the lip service it's getting in this thread. Sort of like a meta-rating system, huh? Maybe the poll needs a couple of recursive (or at least self-referential) options to take this into account.
04-18-2007 at 03:02 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Bad Evil Restaurant is the Lowest Point of holds. It really puts things into perspective.

04-18-2007 at 06:36 AM
Perndog
Rank Points: 18
Yeah, that was definitely a singular experience. I'd like to thank everyone in this thread for pointing me to it.
04-18-2007 at 09:03 PM
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 482
icon Re: Does anyone actually read the ratings? (+2)  

It's long.

04-18-2007 at 09:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1134
Long enough?

04-18-2007 at 09:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
christine83
Rank Points: 158
Hey, that's my cat!

I used to search for the highest (fun/brains) score. So high fun and low brains. Now I just play through them alfabetically :)

#1 Fan!
Click here to view the secret text

04-18-2007 at 11:28 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1916
I look at the ratings before downloading. Then I'll read comments before playing a lower-rated hold.

And yes, long cat is very loooooong............... :lol
04-18-2007 at 11:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Rank Points: 107
Yeah, I look at the ratings. I try to find ones that have as high a rating as possible, with as low a brain rating as possible, because I'm not the greatest Drod player, and definitely not the most patient.
04-20-2007 at 07:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sti
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
I don't just look at ratings but also at number of votes. And currently I don't download unless the rating is 8+ and there are at least 10 votes. I don't care about the brains, though.

That's mostly because I barely played any user holds yet and I have to use *some* criteria to decide which to play next. I guess once I played all those high ranked holds, I will move on to lower ones.
04-22-2007 at 07:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Jothki
Rank Points: 15
Yeah, I'm starting late as well. There are a whole ton of holds, and relying on the ratings seems like the best way to handle it for now.
04-28-2007 at 08:20 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Does anyone actually read the ratings? (Does it affect whether you download the hold?) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com