Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : TCB Clock
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
IP: Logged

File: silver DROD clock.zip (750.6 KB)
Downloaded 552 times.
License: Creative Commons
AttributionNoncommercialShare Alike 3.0
icon TCB Clock (+8)  
Hare you go, have a combo serpent/digital/countdown/count-up/egg-hatch-warning/with-faux-analog-display clock which contains half-ticks for when you're on speed (the potion, not amphetamines).

this time I created it wholly from scratch instead of borrowing some other image. note it also works in 2.0 because the Clock1.png is simply ignored.

And it "only" took me 12 solid hours (spread over 2 days). So any feedback is welcome as long as you realize change requests might take me a LONG time to do.

Enjoy.

[Last edited by silver at 04-10-2007 10:05 AM]
04-10-2007 at 09:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: TCB Clock (+1)  
Waterskippers countdown would be nice too :).

[Last edited by skell at 01-29-2012 08:29 PM : Going to the keep]
04-10-2007 at 11:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
icon Re: TCB Clock (0)  
dang. knew I was forgetting something.

04-10-2007 at 11:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Yay DROD mods.

And, to get it to work, put Clock1 and Clock2 into your bitmaps folder, go into your drod configuration, and where it says Clock=Clock, type

Clock1=Clock1
Clock2=Clock2.

04-10-2007 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
weird. I didn't make any drod.ini changes. Let me check if those lines were in my default drod.ini...

...all I found was "Clock=Clock" in mine (which I didn't put there)

But that gives me the idea that I could have named my files ComboClockBysilver so that it wouldn't conflict with other people's clock contributions.

[Last edited by silver at 04-10-2007 05:56 PM]
04-10-2007 at 05:55 PM
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Yeah, I was just ging to writte it b silver was faste:
No need to change anything in ini.

And I think it's better to leave the naming as-is.

[Last edited by skell at 01-29-2012 08:24 PM : Going to the keep]
04-10-2007 at 05:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
I've got this in my DROD.ini:
Clock=SnakeClock;Clock

along with a SnakeClock1.png and a SnakeClock2.png in the "bitmaps" folder - this allows me to switch clocks by clicking on the clock...

Nifty, eh? :D

np: Alias - Beginagain (Muted)

04-10-2007 at 06:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
ooooh, impressive. my next version will include directions and the files under a different name, then :)

04-10-2007 at 06:27 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
silver wrote:
ooooh, impressive. my next version will include directions and the files under a different name, then :)
To be totally honest, I just read the fine manual... :lol

np: Thom Yorke - Harrowdown Hill (The Eraser)

04-10-2007 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
actually, I was thinking about the waterskipper clock.
the thing is, because I include a countDOWN, the ones digit of the countdown IS a waterskipper clock. I could put "w-s [9876543210]" somewhere, but it would be redundant.
the smartaleck version of the waterskipper clock would just be a static text and arrow pointing at the ones digit :)

04-10-2007 at 08:41 PM
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Um, you might want to give the in-game console line with your clock as well... ;)

04-10-2007 at 10:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
no idea how to do that

04-10-2007 at 10:28 PM
Sillyman
Well, have you ever tried typing ~help in the ingame chatbox? That should tell you all you need to know.

04-10-2007 at 10:35 PM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
icon Re: TCB Clock (+2)  
Sillyman wrote:
Well, have you ever tried typing ~help in the ingame chatbox? That should tell you all you need to know.
Or, since you're the one who thinks this information should be included, perhaps you could not ask silver to go out of his way to find this information, and instead provide it for him.

04-11-2007 at 02:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
icon Re: TCB Clock (+2)  
Okay. I think it's ~Graphics:Clock=(Whatever name silver decides on for the clock);Clock;(Whatever other clocks you might have). Just type that into chat and the clock should be configured.

04-11-2007 at 02:30 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Nice clock!

My only issue with it is that it's a bit grainy around the edges, which really stands out compared to the original TCB clock.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 04-11-2007 08:17 AM]
04-11-2007 at 05:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hikagi
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
I'm totally lost...Can someone post (or PM me) a detailed set of directions on how to a)get the images into the DROD file, and B)How to change the clock, using the first posts' file as an example? It would be greatly appreciated, since I'm in desperate need of a snake clock ;)

04-25-2007 at 01:08 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: TCB Clock (+3)  
Step 1
Download the file

Step 2
extract files Clock1 and Clock2, rename them Silver-Clock1 and Silver-Clock2.

Step 3
(Assuming you are using Windows XP) Go to your DROD folder (by default it's in Program Files), Head into the data directory, then the bitmaps directory, and place your Silver-Clock1 and Silver-Clock2 there.

Step 4
Head back to the 'data' folder of DROD, and open 'DROD.ini' in notepad. Find the line 'Clock=Clock' Change this to 'Clock=Silver-Clock;Clock' (without the single quotes of course)

Step 5
Play DROD! :D
If you want to change the clock ingame, simply click on the clock and it will change. Clicking on the clock again with change it, yet again!

Advanced
If you want to add more clocks, simply repeat the steps, only naming it (something different)-clock, and when adding it to the .ini, insert it and separate it from the other entries by a ;
04-25-2007 at 02:03 AM
hikagi
Rank Points: 29
Perfect, Thank You :thumbsup

04-25-2007 at 03:05 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Can I just skip straight to step 5? ;-)
04-25-2007 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
So I finally remembered that I had been wanting to change things so that I can switch back and forth between silver's clock and the stock clock. Been wanting to do this for a while, but always forgot (too busy playing and enjoying...). Tried it tonight. And failed.

I've tried every combination of names, drod.ini entries, and everything I can think of. Nothing works. The only way I can use silver's clock at all is if I leave the files named "Clock1.png" and "Clock2.png", as originally named. Naming them "Silver1.png" and "Silver2.png" and writing "Clock=Silver" gives me the standard clock. And nothing using ";"s allows me to switch.

I'm confused. The only thing I can think of is to blame Windows Vista's file handling. Permissions for such rudimentary things as moving or renaming files. Blarg.

So, back to using silver's excellent clock alone.

BbJ

09-06-2007 at 04:54 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
The idea is to be able to put something like
Clock=ClockOne;ClockTwo;ClockThree; ...
under the "[Graphics]" section to allow to click on the clock in-game to switch it. You probably already knew this, but it is necessary to put <clockname>1.png (half turns) and <clockname>2.png (whole turns) in the \Bitmaps\ folder of the DROD directory for each clock. (It turns out it is not necessary to provide both images, but at least one is needed for each clock...).

If it's not working, then perhaps the Bugs board is a good place to mention it...

09-06-2007 at 05:16 AM
bflatjeff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 93
Only a month later, I have two clocks!

The following applies to Windows Vista:
Based on things I read from this post and its replies, I edited both drod.ini files in my Data directory: the normal one that appears, and the one I get to by clicking the Compatibility Files button. Not sure which one did the trick (or possibly that they have to be identical? Who knows?), and I don't really care. I have both clocks! :thumbsup

Hooray, hallelujah, and hell yeah!

BbJ

10-01-2007 at 10:18 PM
Zarvok
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
Does anyone know how I might go about installing this clock on linux? I believe I have the newest version of tcb for linux. In the Data directory I see no ini file or any equivalent dotfiles, so I'm unsure of what I need to do.

Sorry if there is some topic explaining this - I couldn't find it by searching.

Thanks!
10-22-2007 at 03:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
You want to go to ~/.caravel/drod-3_0(-demo). That is the user-specific Linux equivalent of the Windows global Data directory.
10-22-2007 at 04:07 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Zarvok
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
Thanks!
10-22-2007 at 04:26 AM
GigaClon
Rank Points: 21
The snake part of the clocks are inaccurate. Its off by one. I would rather see what the snake just did not what its going to do next turn.
10-14-2009 at 12:50 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
But surely you can see what the snake just did by looking at the snake?
10-14-2009 at 01:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
GigaClon wrote:
The snake part of the clocks are inaccurate. Its off by one. I would rather see what the snake just did not what its going to do next turn.
I'm actually somewhat sympathetic to this; it took me a little time, when I started using a snake clock, to understand that "H5" didn't mean "this was its fifth turn moving horizontally". I think you get used to it--or, of course, you can always make your own custom clock with the numbers moved up by one. (I'd do it for you if I had the free time, which alas I don't, but you're welcome to modify the clock I made.)
12-02-2009 at 08:52 PM
navithmastero
Rank Points: 595
Hello!!
Sorry for bringing this up, I didn't know where to put it...
I have searched through Program Files and i can only find the drod.ini in the KDD and JtRH, but not in TCB or GatB, anyone know why? :look

One of your local HAs.

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

08-11-2012 at 09:36 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : TCB Clock
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com