Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Abuse of Light and Tiles to produce-- (Yet more of a hold)
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
IP: Logged

File: Memories.hold (34.2 KB)
Downloaded 175 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Abuse of Light and Tiles to produce-- (+6)  
What I have here is my cruel attempt to toy with the Aboveground Tileset to produce things taller than Beethro is, among other optical illusions. It may also be the start of a hold, I haven't decided.

If you don't have the full version of TCB, this may very well look UTTERLY TERRIBLE.

Some of it seems to in City.

Edit: And hey, it looks like I wasn't entirely lying when I said I'd make more of a hold out of it!

Edit: Hey. I added a /level/! Go me! Also, hilarious bug where cutscene never finishes is fixed.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 04-20-2007 08:40 PM]
04-09-2007 at 05:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
tokyokid
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 453
icon Re: Abusing Lighting And Tilesets (0)  
You cannot get back from 3N1E. The red door blocks your path.
04-09-2007 at 12:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Interesting, but I'm stuck in 1N2E :
Click here to view the secret text

04-09-2007 at 01:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
tokyokid wrote:
You cannot get back from 3N1E. The red door blocks your path.

This is wholly intentional. You're not /supposed/ to move back at any point.

Elfstone wrote:
Interesting, but I'm stuck in 1N2E..

What do you need the raft for?
04-09-2007 at 09:32 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
In 1n1e you can wait around at the first entrance for the briar to kill the roach, then you can exit, enter again, and head north early. Very promising looking hold by the way, I can't wait to see more!

[Last edited by Ezlo at 04-09-2007 10:02 PM]
04-09-2007 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Someone has in fact pointed this clever trickery out to me. It's fixed in the current version I have sitting here, but I want at least another couple levels before I toss it at you--one of these is done.

04-09-2007 at 10:07 PM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
That was pretty awesome. Specially when listening to Tom Waits.

I kinda ignited the rope of the boat, though. You could put a fully transparent character on top to make the tile unwalkable, perhaps. Or make Beethro comment on the shady practices of ropemakers.

04-11-2007 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
I hadn't thought of the rope, but I'll totally do something there. More likely the clever qu--

Oh ho.

actually I may or may not have terrible plans for that rope.
04-12-2007 at 02:46 AM
Banjooie
incidentally for all three of you who care:

at the moment I am approximately three puzzles short of finishing a level and uploading the hold again. This is because I am patently uncreative. I apologize for the delay.
04-12-2007 at 09:02 PM
Ezlo
No problem. I'd rather have more quality, than less of a wait.
04-12-2007 at 09:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
icon Re: Abuse of Light and Tiles to produce-- (0)  
im in my thred
bumpin ur posts
04-18-2007 at 12:47 PM
Ezlo
And Mastered! Excellent hold! I can't wait for more! I didn't find any problems or unintended solutions, but maybe someone else will. I really liked the Tar Mother's Den, that was certainly unexpected! And Recollections 3n 2e was the only room that gave me a bit of trouble. I forgot about the adder.

I also really liked the cutscene with the guard, you did that really well! Keep building Banjooie! Keep building!
04-18-2007 at 03:33 PM
Banjooie
Stefan mentioned one in the Tar Mother's Den, and I'm going to leave it. The idea is there's going to be worse along these lines later, so I'm okay if you're clever and avoid my various trickeries for now.
04-18-2007 at 07:37 PM
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
Bug : You can't turn back from 1E1S

04-18-2007 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Hm. Alright, I'll fix that, I think I know how.

Edit: Fixed! O /rama/.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 04-18-2007 08:37 PM]
04-18-2007 at 08:13 PM
voyager
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 150
Wow, I really like this hold. It's very pretty, and there some interesting and novel puzzle ideas, and even at this stage the storytelling is well above average for a DROD hold. I like your attention to detail. If you're still undecided about whether to make it a full hold, I really hope you do.
04-19-2007 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
I seem to be gradually inching towards an actual hold here. Observe!
04-20-2007 at 11:22 AM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
There's a scripting error in Underneath The Island: 5N: The "Increment" variable is not 0 at the beginning of the room (the variable has been used in a previous room and is not reset in the beginning of this one), so the cut scene will start once you enter the room and go on forever...

04-20-2007 at 12:56 PM
Ezlo
More really good quality rooms with really neat visual tricks! No bugs as far as I can see, although I can't seem to get off the island with the leftmost pressure plate in the new secret room.
04-20-2007 at 04:59 PM
Banjooie
Ezlo: It's doable. It's just that water tilesets are funky. Funky little /monkeys/. Your sword is north when you leave, if that's any hint.

Stefan: Gah. It's funny, because I tested the damn thing, but never managed to do one straight playthrough from start to finish. Fixed.
04-20-2007 at 08:39 PM
voyager
icon Re: Abuse of Light and Tiles to produce-- (+1)  
Hey, I like the new level too. Especially

Also, in the room with the huge bridge and ~800 guards, are you meant to kill all the golems on the way up and then drop the bridge, or get your sword back, kill the guards, and then return for the golems you missed? I couldn't do it the former way.
04-26-2007 at 02:53 PM
Banjooie
icon Re: Abuse of Light and Tiles to produce-- (+1)  
I...how the hell did you do the secondary way?

Edit: Oh. Force arrow, go! Use your 'eliminate unintended solution' attack!

[Last edited by Banjooie at 04-26-2007 05:53 PM]
04-26-2007 at 05:51 PM
voyager
Yeah, I thought that was the intended solution, but I couldn't for the life of me get one of the golems (the one with the orthogonal square, as it happens) onto the hot tile and still evade the guard he lets out. Guess it's time to go try it again. :rambo

edit: yeah, okay, i guess it wasn't as hard as i was making it.

[Last edited by voyager at 04-26-2007 06:24 PM]
04-26-2007 at 06:22 PM
Banjooie
I'm gonna bet offhand you stayed on the wrong tile a turn too long--there's a few clever things in there where you can screw yourself ahead and not necessarily see it.
04-26-2007 at 06:34 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Banjooie wrote:
there's a few cleverannoying things in there where you can screw yourself ahead and not necessarily see it.
This is closer to the truth, I'd guess.

04-26-2007 at 11:04 PM
Banjooie
Hey, now. If you're not paying attention to where the golems are moving, that's not my fault. That's, like, the only thing you can screw up in that room.
04-27-2007 at 07:52 AM
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
Wow, pretty.

Unfortunately I quit out on Under The Island with the falling bridge because I was curious how the little preview thingy would react. It causes the game to crash out tho'. *sniff*

04-28-2007 at 12:38 AM
Banjooie
Well, I've tried both falling bridge rooms, but I'm on the original TCB version. Maybe it's something Mike broke in 3.0.2?
04-28-2007 at 10:20 PM
Yellow_Mage
Rank Points: 267
Try playing with the filter tabs. That usually works if it doesn't crash right away. :)

04-29-2007 at 06:15 AM
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
i have an edited version here somewhere but i won't post unless banjooie asks me to.

05-11-2007 at 09:29 AM
Page 1 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Abuse of Light and Tiles to produce-- (Yet more of a hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com