Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Fire. (Lair Lair,Pants On Fire)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Anson
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 67
IP: Logged
icon Fire. (0)  
Why not fire?
Just that it kills everything that goes on it and Beethro too.
This is SIMPLE!

Please, I admire Guthix, I solve problems, I fix rules too. I used to be a Scoundril, Complaining about the forums, But now i changed.
Click here to view the secret text

04-05-2007 at 06:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1305
icon Re: Fire. (0)  
Hello?
Aren't hot tiles enough?
04-05-2007 at 07:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
I think he means as soon as anything touches it. Like a cross between hot tiles and briars.

04-05-2007 at 09:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: Fire. (+1)  
How about adjustable hot tiles? ;)

04-05-2007 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
Adjustable hot tiles intrigue me; if used sparingly and well, I could see a good puzzle or two that required a minimum of sword turns to deal with monsters... however, there is a rather large problem with it: how should this be represented to the player? Making the tiles get brighter and brighter shades of red or some such as the turn when they'll actually cook you comes up would be a quick and dirty fix, but would be pretty rough on newbs and not easily discernable at a glance. A boiler next to the tile/set of tiles with the temperature/number of turns that it takes to kill things that step on them listed on it seems visually appealing and solves the problem of easy discernment, but suffers when used for multiple single hot tiles, and uses up a space which might be better aesthetically suited to a wall or empty floor space.
04-05-2007 at 11:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
We could go with the ugly method of putting a number/other numerical indicator directly on the tile...

04-05-2007 at 11:21 PM
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
;) Taking a cue from the school of thought that produced the arrow rotation token?

...Banjooie made a good point when he/she/it said that it looked like it was from a different game.... :/
04-05-2007 at 11:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Sillyman wrote:
We could go with the ugly method of putting a number/other numerical indicator directly on the tile...
Well, if it were just an additional hot tile that allows you to wait a turn on it you could probably use a floor tile with only some glowing lava on it.

So Beethro could stand on what's left of the floor tile, but the heat gets him after 2 turns.

np: Death Cab For Cutie - Photobooth (The Showbox, Seattle 5.08.04) (The John Byrd E.P.)

04-06-2007 at 10:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Still.
How much puzzle potential does it add? None that I can see.
04-08-2007 at 07:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Someone Else wrote:
Still.
How much puzzle potential does it add? None that I can see.

Well, an area of hot tiles you can stand on for two turns instead of one would be an... interesting.. surface to try to steer a fegundo from while sworded, whereas regular hot tiles would be completely useless for the same purpose.

But that isn't really much potential, it needs something else.

Perhaps instead of a second "hot tile", the two move model could be cold tiles, and anything frozen on them becomes an ice pile, which is an obstacle much like golem rubble. Ironically, it seems like golems instead of tarstuff would be most suitable for immunity to cold tiles.

04-08-2007 at 07:22 PM
Sillyman
Then we could have frozen tar! Hooray!

04-10-2007 at 06:03 AM
Someone Else
Eww. I would Hate that. Therefore, following the logic of puzzle potential, we should put it in. Would tar still be cuttable (when it's frozen)? Maybe fegundos could be unfrozen by stepping on a power token.
04-11-2007 at 07:18 AM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Someone Else wrote:
Eww. I would Hate that. Therefore, following the logic of puzzle potential, we should put it in. Would tar still be cuttable (when it's frozen)? Maybe fegundos could be unfrozen by stepping on a power token.

The fegundo thing was meant to be more equivalent to their death on contact with water or a pit, its not a viable place to grow a new fegundo. Its not that they'll freeze before exploding or something, just not a place you want to explode them. So they wouldn't leave a pile, just die. Fegundos would be immune to the freezing because they fly, after all.

For tar, I dunno.. I don't see that much of a useful mechanic from freezing tar itself, I just meant the babies would be vulnerable. Its plenty evil as is, just from the risk of a frozen tar baby barrier forming as you try to cut it away.

04-11-2007 at 08:13 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Can we have fire that in turn can be set on fire which in turn can be set on more fire which in turn...
04-11-2007 at 09:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Banjooie wrote:
Can we have fire that in turn can be set on fire which in turn can be set on more fire which in turn...
No, Banjooie. You can't combust a chemical reaction; that's just nonsensical.

04-11-2007 at 11:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Then I don't like this idea anymore.
04-12-2007 at 08:35 AM
Daneel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 35
Perhaps fire doors would be more interesting. We don't have doors that do anything other than block stuff. There are probably some things that could be done more conveniently with fire doors, and the incinerator might fit nicely into the game world.
04-19-2007 at 08:20 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Actually, I had an idea for fire.

We have a arbitrary fire object. Beethro can't run into it. Monsters can, but in general it's stupid things like roaches.

When a roach is On Fire, it runs in the direction it was facing when it touched it. Anything within 1 square of it each turn is set on fire, and exhibits the same behaviour. Anything On Fire that cannot move for two turns burns into nothing.

So you could force a Slayer down onto fire, but in general they'll avoid it. See?

Puzzle potential includes: bouncing roaches about to get one in the right place: Wubbas might burn foreever. ETc.
04-23-2007 at 11:26 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Fire. (+1)  
Meh.

04-23-2007 at 11:47 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Maurog wrote:
Meh.
Man, could agaricus5 write long posts.
04-23-2007 at 01:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Seriously. It could have been:

Fireballs burn stuff. Five turn blaze, everything's flammable but tar.

04-23-2007 at 09:18 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Fire. (Lair Lair,Pants On Fire)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com