Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : The Fireball
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon The Fireball (0)  
This monster is usually found in places near area of high volcanic activity, especially near constructive plate margins and their volcanoes where runny, basaltic, basic lava is found in abundance. It is a strange monster, similar to a tar baby that has adapted special enzymes and proteins that can withstand very high temperatures, and has also evolved a very efficient fuel storage mechanism that allows it to store a lot of fuel in its body and control its combustion. It usually sits in dark places and caves, with a layer of igniting fuel surrounding it entirely for protection and to catch and roast any unwary prey that accidentally falls or goes too near to the Fireball. Usually, it needs to eat often to keep its fuel supply topped up, and so does not like to travel far from sources of heat and volcanic activity, because this helps to conserve its energy when it is not doing anything. However, due to the increasing usage of longer hydrocarbons as fuels in lighting equipment, Fireballs have been able to utilise these sources of energy and so spread further from their original areas to populate dungeons further away.

Fireballs are not very clever monsters, and once they sense Beethro, will make for him like a roach will, being able to move in all eight directions. However, unlike Roaches, Fireballs are completely surrounded by a layer of igniting fuel, and so like their name suggests, looks like a walking fireball. Because of this, Fireballs can, and will, set alight anything flammable that they contact with. They will set any single–square monster (Multi–square monsters like serpents are invulnerable to it) they are next to horizontally, vertically or diagonally on fire. Monsters set on fire that can move, will immediately change behaviour, whatever monster they are, by running away directly from the Fireball in the same way a Roach Queen will to Beethro, irrespective of where Beethro is in the room. Monsters cannot burn indefinitely, so five moves after they have been set on fire, if they have not been killed already, they burn up completely. If a monster on fire touches (moves into a square adjacent to another flammable monster) another monster, or another monster moves into a square next to a monster on fire, then the one on fire will set fire to the other. Monsters that are flammable, but cannot move, such as brains, will still burn for five moves and can set light to passing monsters. If a sleeping Evil Eye or other monster is asleep when it is set on fire, it will wake immediately, and run away from the Fireball like any other monster will. Tar is, however, immune to Fire, although Tar Babies are not, and any wall or Tar based monster is also invulnerable to fire as Tar is not flammable, and things in walls cannot burn because they are not exposed to oxygen. The Fireball’s ability to burn things is such that it can set whole hordes of monsters on fire because it spreads quickly. However, monsters on fire and Fireballs will also destroy potions and other objects on the ground on contact.

Fire, however, is also lethal to Beethro, so if a monster on fire or a Fireball steps into a square next to Beethro or Beethro steps into a square next to a monster on fire, Beethro will himself catch fire and burn to death, unless he kills the monster when he moves into a square adjacent to the monster’s position. Beethro can therefore only kill monsters on fire or Fireballs by stepping towards them. Mimics cannot, however, be set on fire (for consistency in being ignored by monsters). If Beethro stabs a Fireball, it explodes, scattering three flaming fragments of it outwards, one in the direction of Beethro’s movement, and one to 45 degrees either side of this that will travel two squares before disintegrating. These fragments will also set things that they pass next to on fire, although if they directly hit anything, the monster is set on fire, but the fragment is destroyed.

Fireballs can also be killed by being engulfed in anything liquid, such as Tar or The Flow, so if it spreads forward and a Fireball occupies a square it will expand onto, the fireball will be killed and the liquid fill the square it was on previously. Fireballs cannot, however, set fire to walls, orbs, crumbly walls, trapdoors or other solid objects like doors.

I think that’s it for now, but I have one or two variations that I will post later when I have the time.

All comments you have on this will be very welcome.

11-07-2003 at 12:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: The Fireball (0)  
Ah, it is good to see some more FRs being posted. As usual, you have come up with a great idea. I do have a few questions though, also as usual.

1: This is the first thing that jumped into my mind. Would second-burn monsters (monsters burned by a monster not a fireball) run from the fireball for consistency or run from the first monster? It seems logical coding-wise (I think), but rather silly reality-wise.

2: Maybe, for a challenging aspect, monsters in a five square radius of Beethro will go towards him, unless the fireball is in that direction.

3: What if two fireballs were to collide?

4: Does the fireball ever run out of fuel? Or, is there a set number of monsters to which the fireball can ignite?

5: Will brains panic? In other words, do they retain brain properties if set on fire? (I'm thinking singular brains)

6: This is a 1x1 monster, correct?

7: Referring to the walls under map/torch idea, which I like, would the fireball let Beethro see under tar?

8: The sword is still protection against the fireball, correct? Titanium alloy or something?

I think that's it. If I have more, I will ask later.

11-07-2003 at 01:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
zex20913 wrote:
Ah, it is good to see some more FRs being posted. As usual, you have come up with a great idea. I do have a few questions though, also as usual.
Ask away! ;)

1: This is the first thing that jumped into my mind. Would second-burn monsters (monsters burned by a monster not a fireball) run from the fireball for consistency or run from the first monster? It seems logical coding-wise (I think), but rather silly reality-wise.
I think they should run from the thing that set fire to them - I think this is more logical, although it might become a little buggy to implement as there would have to be checks for what set fire to what. However, monsters not set on fire don't care about monsters that are on fire (survival of the fittest)

2: Maybe, for a challenging aspect, monsters in a five square radius of Beethro will go towards him, unless the fireball is in that direction.
Err... no because I don't think that monsters on fire will be interested enough in Beethro - I think they will be in too much pain/panic to care about Beethro.

3: What if two fireballs were to collide?

They are both on fire - they do not really affect each other.

4: Does the fireball ever run out of fuel? Or, is there a set number of monsters to which the fireball can ignite?

Well, I suppose the description does say that the Fireball needs to re-fuel often, but I think that for the purposes of the game, I think it would be better if the Fireball has unlimited fuel.

However, saying that, an interesting variation might be a different sort of Fireball that does have a limited fuel supply, and that when it runs out, it remains alive, but is not on fire anymore. This then could allow for a new type of tile, the Fuel tile, which the Fireball can utilise to replenish its own supplies, and allow it to start burning again. In addition, Beethro could himself ignite the fuel, and after stepping off the tile, create a small fire that will set any monster that steps on it on fire. I suppose that there may be a problem with people waiting to make the fireball harmless, so maybe a limit on the number of monsters that the Fireball can set fire to might also be considerable.
5: Will brains panic? In other words, do they retain brain properties if set on fire? (I'm thinking singular brains)

Hmm... Yes - they should panic.

6: This is a 1x1 monster, correct?

Yes.

7: Referring to the walls under map/torch idea, which I like, would the fireball let Beethro see under tar?

Err... It might illuminate dark surroundings, but I don't think its light can penetrate Tar.

8: The sword is still protection against the fireball, correct? Titanium alloy or something?

Yes.

11-07-2003 at 08:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Aris Katsaris
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
I admit that I don't much like this... It feels rather too complicated a creature for my tastes.

a) They have a unique interaction with other monsters, destroying them.
b) The monsters destroyed by these creatures have a unique way of dying, not immediately, but after 5 turns, and their whole behaviour changes (again uniquely, during those turns).
c) It has a unique way of killing you (by proximity, rather than grabbing you as with all other monsters)
d) It has a unique way of reacting after an attack (breaking into shards)
e) It has unique ways of perishing (e.g. through expansion of tar)

In short... too arbitrary, too complicated, too unique..

I really hope you're not offended by this commentary... but on the whole I really have found that I quite dislike this type of complicated suggestions. And I believe that these kinds of monsters would make for difficult puzzle creations, when an author may want to utilize only *one* of all those unique characteristics of a creature, but the *other* characteristics stand in his way.

I also find it bizarre that this monster creature actually seems to act more as an ally, destroying so many other critters in its path, which will actually stop moving towards your direction in order to make life even easier for you... Weird. And if it's destroyed it's shards destroy even more creatures! What in the world. I mean sure it'd be cool seeing things burn like Rome under Nero, but...

One of the things you mentioned gave me another idea, though -- I'll put it in a new thread, linking back to this one as the origin of the inspiration.
11-08-2003 at 03:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Aris Katsaris wrote:
d) It has a unique way of reacting after an attack (breaking into shards)
It's not the only thing that breaks into shards on this page - go see the Feaure Request "The Globule" further down the page.

e) It has unique ways of perishing (e.g. through expansion of tar)

Why not? Liquids tend to put out fires because they block out all the oxygen from reaching the fire (Unless, of course, they contain Oxygen gas, or are very flammable). You could remove the Tar killing the Fireball, but the Flow should still be able to do it (for consistency with its description as well)

In short... too arbitrary, too complicated, too unique...

I really hope you're not offended by this commentary... but on the whole I really have found that I quite dislike this type of complicated suggestions.

I'm not offended - it's your opinion and commentary.

And I believe that these kinds of monsters would make for difficult puzzle creations, when an author may want to utilize only *one* of all those unique characteristics of a creature, but the *other* characteristics stand in his way.

What characteristic? I don't think that it has many characteristics about except that it has the ability to set other monsters on fire and split into three shards when stabbed.

I also find it bizarre that this monster creature actually seems to act more as an ally, destroying so many other critters in its path, which will actually stop moving towards your direction in order to make life even easier for you...

What if you wanted to keep a certain number of monsters alive to kill other monsters like on L23, and if the Fireball was destroying them for you, how would you complete the room?

In addition, if a fireball was behind a whole horde of monsters and was setting it on fire, and you had a 2 square wide space to defend, and a wall directly behind you, how would you do it?

11-08-2003 at 10:56 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : The Fireball
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com