Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : SOKOBAN! (You'll probably all hate me now...)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
IP: Logged

File: Sokoban.hold (5.3 KB)
Downloaded 149 times.
License: Public Domain
icon SOKOBAN! (+1)  
Yep, I made the first all-sokoban hold in TCB. And I didn't even use any original levels. :P The hold is organized into sets of 5 puzzles, and catagories of sets, based on no set criteria whatsoever. Feel free to make your own sets, or even individual puzzles to be put into a set. Just remember to use the format I use, so that the hold looks FLAWLESSLY CONSISTENT! ;) It's anyone edit, so you can copy and adapt the script. :)

Edit: Yay! I have a new format for the levels! I haven't converted any other levels though. Oh well.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 04-04-2007 10:16 PM]
04-03-2007 at 10:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Zaratustra
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
icon Re: SOKOBAN! (0)  
Uhm, you don't need box NPCs. Just use mirrors, they're pushable.

Also, on-off pressure plates are nice.
04-04-2007 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
icon Re: SOKOBAN! (+1)  
I ran into problems involving the fact that pressure plates merge when placed next to each other, and that NPC's can't detect mirrors. But yes, my original idea was to use mirrors. ;) I then, after being unable to make mirrors work, was so set in the idea that I used the new scripting commands to make a Box NPC and had a NPC detect it... And it worked! :D

04-04-2007 at 01:05 AM
Zaratustra
icon Re: SOKOBAN! (+2)  
Ah, but what if you make every square that ISN'T a box place spot a on-off pressure plate.
04-04-2007 at 04:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Zaratustra

File: Zara Sokoban.hold (1.3 KB)
Downloaded 96 times.
License: Public Domain
Thus.
04-04-2007 at 04:40 AM
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
...And thus spoke Zaratustra.
04-04-2007 at 09:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3734
Thumb for you - first hold I downloaded since TCB release :).

Though a bug:
Trying to push crate onto wall or other crate makes it stop forever - you won't be able to push it anymore. Though to prevent this, simply change the "Single Step" to On in evey move action.

[Last edited by skell at 01-29-2012 08:55 PM : Going to the keep]
04-04-2007 at 02:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
I am going to use Zarattustra's method. Much less hassle. Thanks.

04-04-2007 at 09:40 PM
piderman
Rank Points: 51
Ah I see that I was too late with my idea! Zara's hold works just fine, though as someone else remarked, watch out that the original levels of Sokoban are copyrighted. Your own designs are ok of course :)
04-04-2007 at 09:50 PM
Sillyman
I am not designing any levels. I am using levels by David W. Skinner http://users.bentonrea.com/~sasquatch/sokoban/), as well as any levels that you people design or convert (Make sure that the original author is okay with it though). If anybody wishes to help, they can design levels or convert levels, including levels from that site. Just send the levels in to me, and organize them into groups of 5 with a staircase at the end, and a level entrance at the beginning, preferably using the same format as me. If you have levels that don't fit into groups of 5, just send them to me as individual rooms, and I'll work them in somewhere.

04-04-2007 at 10:14 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: SOKOBAN! (+3)  
We don't put the pushable things in because we don't want the game to turn into Sokoban.
Oh, silly Caravel! We won't start making Sokoban left and right if you give us pushable objects!
Well, I don't know, you MIGHT, I mean,--oh, what the heck. I trust you. Here, have the pushable objects.
HAY GUYS WE MADE SOKOBAN
04-04-2007 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Ahem. I'm not making it left and right, and this hold might actually cut down on the number of sokoban holds, by providing one central location to put all of them. Hehe... ;)

04-05-2007 at 12:02 AM
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Jatopian wrote:
Are we going to do this every time the poor guy posts?
Well, he did speak, "Thus."
04-05-2007 at 02:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zaratustra
Actually I get that a lot.
04-05-2007 at 07:29 AM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
So am I the only one who played it and discovered that the first level is impossible, simply because mirrors CAN NOT be pushed onto tunnels?

04-24-2007 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zaratustra
They're not supposed to. Push them to the area on the right.
04-24-2007 at 10:32 PM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Zaratustra wrote:
If it is possible to complete this room, I would appreciate a demo. I can assure you that you cannot get two of the mirrors to said area on the right without pushing them on the tunnel square first.

04-24-2007 at 11:04 PM
calamarain
Rank Points: 933
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Zaratustra wrote:
If it is possible to complete this room, I would appreciate a demo. I can assure you that you cannot get two of the mirrors to said area on the right without pushing them on the tunnel square first.

I see the same thing. If the mirrors cannot go on the tunnel, they're trapped.

Nice bit of implementation of an idea though.

04-25-2007 at 12:13 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Zaratustra wrote:
Ah! Antecedent problem. The "it" that Kevin's referring to is Sillyman's hold, in which, yes, it's utterly impossible because mirrors cannot be pushed onto tunnels. (You did, er, test this before giving it to us, didn't you, Sillyman?)

Zaratustra's tunnel isn't in the path of the mirrors, so yes, zir's hold is in fact completable (by, as zie says, pushing the mirrors to the right).
04-25-2007 at 12:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
This could be a problem in future rooms, however... Any suggestions? Should I go with a clone and have a script only open a door if the clone is back at the entrance? Also, there might be a room that is unsolvable due to having to go back to the entrance... Should I make a NPC that is controlled by the player's movements? This would eliminate the need for Orthosquares...

05-01-2007 at 05:59 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : SOKOBAN! (You'll probably all hate me now...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com