Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Smitemastery 101 (2006 Summer/Fall Smitemaster's Selection)
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.3/10 (84 votes)
σ 1.57
Author Name:Jacob Grinfeld
Submitted By:Jacob
Hold Name:Smitemastery 101
Theme:2006 Summer/Fall Smitemaster's Selection
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:8
Number of Rooms:92
Number of Monsters:1619
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:12 (+12 / -0)
Poster Message
slimm tom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1228
IP: Logged
icon Re: Smitemastery 101 (+1)  
Very fun, very enjoyable, and very challenging later on. (Especially the post-mastery level.)

I post-mastered it a while ago and seeing this thread being bumped inspired me to post my thoughts and conclusions here.

The only down-side of the hold is the fact that it's beginner-oriented, and beginners don't usually tend to buy SmS holds, really. It was fun for me though, even though I've been playing DROD for quite some time.

4 for Brains, 9 for Overall.
04-21-2009 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
robin
Rank Points: 842
icon Re: Smitemastery 101 (+2)  
martz wrote:
coppro wrote:
What are the voice credits?

Was this answered somewhere? I too would be interested in seeing the voice credits.

here are the full credits, as they are on my CD:

Credits

* Architect - Jacob Grinfeld
* Project Management - Mike Rimer
* Level Design and Testing - Ezlo, Alneyan, Jatopian, jbluestein, Zaubberer, eytanz, Blondbeard, kie, Pilchard VIII, RoboBob3000
* Story and Voice Coordination - Erik Hermansen
* Voice Editing - Mike Rimer
* Voice Actors:
Instructor - Erik Hermansen
Museum Guide - Elfstone
Professor - Abbyzzmal
Brain - Rescator
* "Don't Name Your Sword" performed and written by - Erik Hermansen

04-21-2009 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
icon Re: Smitemastery 101 (+2)  
Post-mastered this the other day.

Doesn't really work as a tutorial style hold for absolute beginners, KDD is still probably the best for that purpose. Everything beyond Training Grounds is way too difficult.

However, for someone who might've got stuck on the early levels of KDD or JtRH, this is a very, very good alternative.

Nice, straightfoward rooms and a fluid level design (although some difficulty spikes) make this rank high among holds for beginners. My least favourite level was The Mucky Museum, which seemed a bit too repetitive. My favourite was probably Golem Gulch, it had some nice puzzles. The additional level of challenges was also a nice touch.

Overall, I don't think experienced drod players will like this hold much, due to the emphasis on hack 'n' slash, but if you know about the basic monster movement, but got stuck with the early levels of KDD or JtRH, then this is a perfect way to gain some practise.
05-12-2011 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
icon Re: Smitemastery 101 (0)  
Thanks for your comment rogu3. I was wondering whether to purchase this, based off of one of Ezlo's comments. I still might do that some time.

Basically, a long time ago I was up to level 13 or 14 of KDD and then lost my save data. Recently I tried TCB and felt that the difficulty got pretty high pretty fast (brambles...*shivers*). I was thinking JtRH might have some better training for me going into TCB so I've been playing user-made holds here and there trying to gain some tips. Looking at other holds like this one that might not take me as long to play through. Slowly but surely gettin' there ;)

05-12-2011 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
averagemoe
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 487
icon Re: Smitemastery 101 (-1)  
robin wrote:
martz wrote:
coppro wrote:
What are the voice credits?

Was this answered somewhere? I too would be interested in seeing the voice credits.

here are the full credits, as they are on my CD:

Credits

* Architect - Jacob Grinfeld
* Project Management - Mike Rimer
* Level Design and Testing - Ezlo, Alneyan, Jatopian, jbluestein, Zaubberer, eytanz, Blondbeard, kie, Pilchard VIII, RoboBob3000
* Story and Voice Coordination - Erik Hermansen
* Voice Editing - Mike Rimer
* Voice Actors:
Instructor - Erik Hermansen
Museum Guide - Elfstone
Professor - Abbyzzmal
Brain - Rescator
* "Don't Name Your Sword" performed and written by - Erik Hermansen

That's hardly a complete list. There's some goblins that have lines, and two museum guides. Also, who's the professor? The Guard that demonstrates things in Invasion?

04-25-2018 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 3 of 3
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Smitemastery 101 (2006 Summer/Fall Smitemaster's Selection)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com