Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Stuck?: A new game UI button (So I read the multiplayer topic, and was struck by a thought..)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
IP: Logged
icon Stuck?: A new game UI button (+2)  
Why not have a button that allows you to call up help on specific rooms from within the game? What I'm generally thinking of is a button that, when clicked, sends the room data to the get help for a room utility and so comes up with the relevant list of topics, which you then can click on/click a button to go look at them (if they exist). Now, ideally, if there weren't any topics about the rooms that give people problems, you'd get the opportunity to make one in-game, and you'd be able to see what others wrote about the room you're stuck on if topics did exist in-game as well, but I've no idea how easy that would be to implement. I think the only other issue is that (for those poor souls who haven't sent $12 for CaravelNet) a grayed out button implying possible help might be a bit confrontational/insolent.

[Last edited by BDR at 02-10-2007 08:22 AM]
02-10-2007 at 08:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Stuck?: A new game UI button (+1)  
BDR wrote:
Why not have a button that allows you to call up help on specific rooms from within the game?
Doesn't even have to be within the game - just fire up the user's web browser with the URL to bring up the "Get Help For A Room" results page for the room you're currently in.

Sure, this would need a bit of platform-specific code, but I think it would totally be worth it.

np: Bola - 01706 (0161)

02-10-2007 at 09:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Stuck?: A new game UI button (0)  
yeah, this would be very useful. Not only would it save people having to crawl though the lists looking for the hold that they want, and the appropriate level, but it would also help people who don't know where to look for hints.

On the other hand, some people might not want the temptation of hints in their game window.
02-10-2007 at 09:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
icon Re: Stuck?: A new game UI button (-3)  
May be it is better to direct peoples to DROD solver :D .
02-10-2007 at 10:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
halyavin wrote:
May be it is better to direct peoples to DROD solver :D .
I think most people would prefer getting subtle or sometimes not so subtle hints over getting or not getting a complete solution...

np: Bola - Eluus (Gnayse)

02-10-2007 at 10:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
What, and cannibalise the biggest draw to the Caravel forums?

02-10-2007 at 11:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ravon
Rank Points: 220
I'm not so sure about this idea. It would definitely be convenient, but sometimes I decide to play the room once or twice more before I go through the hassle of either posting to or reading the hints and solutions topic. If there was no trouble involved in locating the room, I may jump at the promise of hints without really trying to beat the room myself.

I might be completely in the minority here, so feel free to disagree.
02-10-2007 at 05:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
It could be an added feature of CaravelNet.

To tell you the truth, I was just thinking of this myself, and was going to add it to my entry in this month's contest.
02-10-2007 at 05:31 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Ezlo wrote:
It could be an added feature of CaravelNet.
I personally tend to find that intentionally weakened features in shareware (besides, of course, limited level access & whatnot) which serve only as incentive to spend money typically annoy. It's like "we could make this easy for you, but you're not a hardcore DROD player, so we're going to make it less convenient for you to get help".

02-10-2007 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Jatopian wrote:
I personally tend to find that intentionally weakened features in shareware (besides, of course, limited level access & whatnot) which serve only as incentive to spend money typically annoy. It's like "we could make this easy for you, but you're not a hardcore DROD player, so we're going to make it less convenient for you to get help".

That's why I agree with this, which wouldn't require a CaravelNet subscription to be available. It would just skip the steps of having to open your browser, navigate to the Hints and Solutions board, click "Get Help for a Room", and select the hold and room you want help for.

Briareos wrote:
Doesn't even have to be within the game - just fire up the user's web browser with the URL to bring up the "Get Help For A Room" results page for the room you're currently in.

Sure, this would need a bit of platform-specific code, but I think it would totally be worth it.

02-10-2007 at 08:53 PM
NiroZ
One way that this could become very useful would be if it required a set of triggers to appear, thus encouraging the users to have a go.

For example, it might only appear after 200 moves, 2 minutes and 3 deaths. Of course, it could be cheated easily, but it would be a great incentive.
02-10-2007 at 11:31 PM
golfrman
Rank Points: 165
Jatopian wrote:
It's like "we could make this easy for you, but you're not a hardcore DROD player, so we're going to make it less convenient for you to get help".

yep, just like bieng able to download the top demos ingame with a subscription, but not without one. :)

02-10-2007 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
golfrman wrote:
Jatopian wrote:
It's like "we could make this easy for you, but you're not a hardcore DROD player, so we're going to make it less convenient for you to get help".

yep, just like bieng able to download the top demos ingame with a subscription, but not without one. :)
The way I see it, Caravel charges for features that require additional cost to maintain, like having a database of demo's, tracking peoples highscores etcetera. This feature really doesn't fall under that category.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 02-11-2007 03:08 AM : One additional is enough.]
02-10-2007 at 11:47 PM
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
NiroZ wrote:
One way that this could become very useful would be if it required a set of triggers to appear, thus encouraging the users to have a go.

For example, it might only appear after 200 moves, 2 minutes and 3 deaths. Of course, it could be cheated easily, but it would be a great incentive.

There can of course be extremely difficult rooms where you cannot die, though. IE: All those puzzles in Bavato's involving manipulating a lone wraithwing. Or that one in Bavato's level 6 with the snake, 2 roaches and the invisibility potions.

In fact, many manipulation puzzles in general only give you a chance to die if you've already solved the puzzle, or not at all. So a minimum death count before this feature applies is not a good thing.

02-11-2007 at 02:04 AM
Jatopian
Beef Row wrote:
NiroZ wrote:

There can of course be extremely difficult rooms where you cannot die, though. IE: All those puzzles in Bavato's involving manipulating a lone wraithwing. Or that one in Bavato's level 6 with the snake, 2 roaches and the invisibility potions.
Excellent point; have one of rank.
This also applies to move count, as some rooms cannot be survived for that many moves without figuring out the solution.
NiroZ wrote:
golfrman wrote:
Jatopian wrote:

The way I see it, Caravel charges for features that require additional additional cost to maintain, like having a database of demo's, tracking peoples highscores etcetera. This feature really doesn't fall under that category.
Precisely. I was having difficulty articulating that part.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 02-11-2007 02:43 AM : added NiroZ quote & response]
02-11-2007 at 02:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Beef Row wrote:
In fact, many manipulation puzzles in general only give you a chance to die if you've already solved the puzzle, or not at all. So a minimum death count before this feature applies is not a good thing.
too true.

Perhaps if it waited 2 minutes and 200 turns, or entering the room for a second time?
02-11-2007 at 03:22 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
10 restarts?
02-11-2007 at 03:39 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
The only thing that aggravated me about God of War was that if you died a certain number of times in a section, it would start to laugh at you by asking "Do you want to switch to easy mode?". It only happened to me never, but I saw it happen to my suitemate.

Thus, if this were implemented, I'd want it as something that the player has to do--the player has to ask for help, not be told that (s)he needs it.

02-11-2007 at 04:12 AM
tonyk
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 42
I think it's a great idea to have an H&S clickable option in the UI (I'd already thought of adding it to my contest entry). Sure, many new players will tend to "abuse" the feature but thats mostly who its there for (not forum veterans) and players should be in charge of when they surrender (without restrictions). It would also add immersion into the forum community for new players.

Those wanting to remove temptation could avail themselves of an option under the settings.

02-11-2007 at 04:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
NiroZ
tonyk wrote:
Those wanting to remove temptation could avail themselves of an option under the settings.
Considering its a temptation issue, I don't think it would change much.
02-11-2007 at 06:06 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Well, considering all I did was have it in window mode and a browser window up for H&S alongside, which wasn't really much work, really, making it easier wouldn't be too terrifying.
02-11-2007 at 07:09 PM
BDR
:D I thought I might end up pre-empting a person or two's contest entry!

I have to agree with the whole "no laughing at the player" bit; it should always be an available option. The only real reason to have even fanfare for the help in is to make sure the player is aware of the existence of easily-accessed help. The only question fanfare for help has to answer is: how to get the player's attention attracted to the help without annoying them? But now that I think about it, maybe something like the Help Cat would work.. (a Help Roach/Halph?)

As for temptation issues, I'd have to say that the people who are easily tempted to go looking for help when they could do it themselves with a bit more effort aren't going to be dissuaded by the lack of a button like this; I know, I was one once (during my N64 days, I had a Gameshark, and used it to rip through Goldeneye on 00 Agent mode [Bulletproof Bond ftw], among other games), but I fortunately realized that even though I was beating the games I wasn't actually accomplishing anything worthwhile (or having a lot of fun in doing so, so I stopped and now only try to get help if I get stuck for over half an hour [which sometimes are on such minor things that I have to spend another just to figure out what I missed!]). Those who can easily resist such temptations are similarly going to be very capable of ignoring the help button.

[Last edited by BDR at 02-11-2007 09:08 PM]
02-11-2007 at 09:07 PM
Jatopian
BDR wrote:
The only real reason to have even fanfare for the help in is to make sure the player is aware of the existence of easily-accessed help. The only question fanfare for help has to answer is: how to get the player's attention attracted to the help without annoying them? But now that I think about it, maybe something like the Help Cat would work.. (a Help Roach/Halph?)
:huh You mean, like the things that can replace Clippy in M$ Office? No thanks... No thanks.
How about just a teeny lil button in a corner or by the room coordinates that says "Get help for this room".

02-11-2007 at 10:49 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
BDR wrote:
how to get the player's attention attracted to the help without annoying them? ... maybe something like the Help Cat would work.
You mean you're not incredibly annoyed by those animated "help" things? :huh
02-11-2007 at 10:49 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
BDR wrote:
...(a Help Roach/Halph?)...
Hey, this idea is copyrighted to me under the "Never ever shall this abomination see the light of day" license.

A button to open the room help topic in the DROD browser would be really neat though.

02-12-2007 at 07:49 AM
NiroZ
Maurog wrote:
BDR wrote:
...(a Help Roach/Halph?)...
Hey, this idea is copyrighted to me under the "Never ever shall this abomination see the light of day" license.
Actually, it's licensed under public domain :P
02-12-2007 at 08:00 AM
BDR
Jatopian wrote:
:huh You mean, like the things that can replace Clippy in M$ Office?

No, I do not mean Clippy. Obviously nobody here knows about the Help Cat... Watch the video and you'll get a better idea of what I'm talking about.
02-12-2007 at 08:23 AM
Briareos
Jatopian wrote:
:huh You mean, like the things that can replace Clippy in M$ Office? No thanks... No thanks.
Well, here is a replacement that I can absolutely live with... :D

02-12-2007 at 08:41 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1306
Why don't you just go here?
02-12-2007 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
BDR
Because I wanted to share the idea.. and I'm not sure exactly where I'd start.. and.... I dunno. I guess I'm just not sure if I'd come up with something good. That and it'd be some work (which is a four letter word in my book).
02-13-2007 at 03:58 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Stuck?: A new game UI button (So I read the multiplayer topic, and was struck by a thought..)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com