Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : DROD Editor Usablity (making a hold easier to make.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon DROD Editor Usablity (+2)  
The first thing that I really wish would be implemented in the DROD editor(excluding other feature requests) would be the ablity to navigate more of the editor entirely via they keyboard. I mean, pressing A to add new command would be very useful. The ability to then select a command via inputting a number(which be highlighting the selection as you typed) would also greatly speed up when you are doing repetitive tasks.

Then second thing I would like to request is the ability to save a string of commands. Whist this could be used via copy paste, this would be more useful as you could save multiple selections, and more convenient.

The third thing I and requesting is to merge the 'Rename' 'Discribe' and 'Ending', and possibly even the level names and room entrances into something that can be seen on the one screen. This would be useful if you decide to change the story halfway through the creation of your hold, as you could edit everything at once.

Yet another thing I would like to request is a full blown level editor. By this, I mean that you could click on the box displaying the level, and then have options to create, copy, paste, move and delete, all without the confirmation dialoges, making it alot faster an easier to manage large levels.
01-23-2007 at 05:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: DROD Editor Usablity (0)  
I'd like to keep the confirmation box on the delete level bit. People have already accidentally deleted a lot of their work with the box ingame, and taking that out would mean that more people would do it. Accidentally of course.

01-23-2007 at 12:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
icon Re: DROD Editor Usablity (+2)  
Some interesting ideas there NiroZ and I have also been thinking a fair bit about the techniques in hold making.

Now that I have dipped my toe in the waters of Architecture, and I have to say I enjoy making Holds very much, I find myself oscillating between two fairly opposing points of view. Part of me is still gobsmacked every time I start working in the Build Levels bit; the amazing things that I can do with this game and the relative ease with which I can do them, particularly given my lack of computer skills, is still a source of wonderment and provokes more than a little gratitude.

On the other hand - I want more!!! I want to be able to do beautiful circles and spirals; I want walls that curve; I want to be able to put several pictures in one floor; I want other kinds of walls that I can build exotic palaces with; I want to have nets that I can use in various ways; I want water - underground streams and rivers and I want to be able to build bridges to cross them; I want more trees and bushes and plants; I want to be able to change colours - yes especially that.

Imagine irrridescent snakes; imagine roach queens whose carapaces change colour as they progress through the 30 move cycle, from black after the birth, through shades of shimmering silvers and blues to a moment of dazzling light just before the birth; imagine goblins with varying skin tones across the green/blue spectrum (perhaps skin tone could indicate a kind of hierarchy?); imagine more white things to use; imagine anything in a lilac or purple shade; imagine . . . schik and mrimer and Erik reading this :w00t

I'm going to shut up now.:blush

I'm just very grateful that I can do what I can, without needing to learn anything more about the insides of computers. :blush

[Last edited by Elfstone at 01-23-2007 11:10 PM : It's k, K, it's K]
01-23-2007 at 08:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: DROD Editor Usablity (+1)  
Elfstone wrote:
schik and mrimer and Eric reading this
I don't like to nitpick too often (and especially not Elfstone because you writes so elegantly),
but I think I should let you know that his name is not 'Eric' (at least not the one I think you're referring to) :)
01-23-2007 at 08:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
Imagine irrridescent snakes; imagine roach queens whose carapaces change colour as they progress through the 30 move cycle, from black after the birth, through shades of shimmering silvers and blues to a moment of dazzling light just before the birth; imagine goblins with varying skin tones across the green/blue spectrum (perhaps skin tone could indicate a kind of hierarchy?); imagine more white things to use; imagine anything in a lilac or purple shade...
Let me be clear: My imagination is not good enough for me to have ever imagined these things. However, it is good enough for me to imagine that Elfstone is imagining these things, and the thought that she could take off with these ideas: that is Reason Number One to include them in the game.

I've expressed elsewhere some things that drive me nuts about the editor. Everything that NiroZ expresses in the first post here falls into that category too. And I do, in general, have Elfstone's dual feelings: how exciting that we can do as much as we can! and how frustrating that we can't do more!
01-23-2007 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Thanks Tim! Fixed! :blush

Tahnan you made me :) and :blush for a different reason!
Just sitting here imagining you sitting there imagining me imagining stained-glass colours, jewel colours, spring flower colours, autumn tints . . . . ok, I really will shut up now!

01-23-2007 at 11:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Elfstone wrote:
Thanks Tim! Fixed! :blush

Tahnan you made me :) and :blush for a different reason!
Just sitting here imagining you sitting there imagining me imagining stained-glass colours, jewel colours, spring flower colours, autumn tints . . . . ok, I really will shut up now!
Ah, just imagining me imagining you imagining Tahnan imagining you imagining a prettier DROD gets kinda weird.
01-23-2007 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
NiroZ wrote:
Ah, just imagining me imagining you imagining Tahnan imagining you imagining a prettier DROD gets kinda weird.

So I'd imagine.
01-24-2007 at 03:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Sorry NiroZ, I seemed to have veered this thread off topic a bit. :(

I did like your suggestions. :yes

01-24-2007 at 09:20 PM
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
I want to be able to do beautiful circles and spirals; I want walls that curve;
That makes me think of another thing similar to the problems presented earlier in the thread.
It's so annoying that the editor only creates walls/pits in blocks. I guess it would be too hard to let the game incorporate walls that actually curve (imagine the size of tilesets with all those varying degrees of curved walls), but when making the closest thing (which is making an area with a curved edge), it really annoys me how I have to make another area of wall each time.

I mean, must it really take 4 strokes to make a simple shape like this?

....W
...WW
...WW
.WWWW
WWWWW

01-27-2007 at 09:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Kwakstur wrote:
I mean, must it really take 4 strokes to make a simple shape like this?
So, in other words, you want a paint tool to go along with the rectangle tool in the editor?

np: New Order - Turn My Way (Get Ready)

01-27-2007 at 11:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Basically.

01-28-2007 at 01:12 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Maybe we could wait until TCB and then whine? I remember eytanz talking about massive interface improvements.
01-28-2007 at 01:52 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I said what? About the editor? When?

01-28-2007 at 02:00 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
01-28-2007 at 03:00 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Ah. Well, don't read too much into that - there are interface changes that make some aspects of hold design a lot easier, but I wouldn't call them "massive", and many things have remained as they were before.

01-28-2007 at 03:30 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
The only thing that I really want to know, is whether I can make the same hold in 3.0 faster than in 2.0.

Having lots of new features is nice, but are they just as easily accessible as in 2.0? (I've got no doubts this is true.)

-- Tim

PS. For your information, I think the most time-consuming task when I was creating Tunnel Vision was that I had to copy and paste about 40K of text as individual lines into the editor. I understand there's this text-script conversion thingy available in 3.0 (see the confirmed features thread), so I'm hoping that it would speed up the storywriting part...

01-28-2007 at 12:42 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : DROD Editor Usablity (making a hold easier to make.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com