Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Beethro's Teacher : First Level : 2 East
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
IP: Logged
icon Beethro's Teacher : First Level : 2 East (0)  
I think I know where the mimics are supposed to go, but I just can't get anything on the rightmost right-pointing force arrow to stop the mimic from getting stuck there - any ideas?

np: Yagya - A Very Long Daydream (Will I Dream During The Process?)

06-05-2006 at 02:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Beethro's Teacher : First Level : 2 East (+1)  
This one is case of using spawning roaches to displace the mimic. The first one needs to kill the RQ before the W tunnel dead-end.
The rest is obviously impossible ;)
06-05-2006 at 02:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Syntax wrote:
This one is case of using spawning roaches to displace the mimic. The first one needs to kill the RQ before the W tunnel dead-end.
Gah... this one I really shouldn't have needed a hint for...

(Also, I'm running out of mod points fast - if this hold keeps it up I'm out before I even reach the second level... :rolleyes)

np: Yagya - When They Stood, They Let Down Their Wings (Will I Dream During The Process?)

[Last edited by Briareos at 06-05-2006 03:56 PM]
06-05-2006 at 03:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Briareos wrote:
Syntax wrote:
Gah... this one I really shouldn't have needed a hint for...

This one I clearly need a hint for.

Here's what I can figure out:

Click here to view the secret text

So far, I've actually managed to solve four rooms on this level. One with big hints, two that I figured out almost entirely by mysef, and one that was just a slog. Still have five left (counting this room, and a secret room.)

Josh

06-08-2006 at 04:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Beethro's Teacher : First Level : 2 East (+2)  
You've pretty much figured the main point of the room out. The thing that you're missing is...

06-08-2006 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Beethro's Teacher : First Level : 2 East (0)  
Doom wrote:
You've pretty much figured the main point of the room out. The thing that you're missing is...

Wow...that's...ingenious.

06-08-2006 at 06:14 PM
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Syntax wrote:
Indeed. :|
All joking aside, I got the secret text info in the previous posts on my own, but now I'm stuck. I need at least a hint.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 06-09-2006 03:39 AM]
06-09-2006 at 03:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
icon Re: Beethro's Teacher : First Level : 2 East (+2)  
Jatopian wrote:
Syntax wrote:
Indeed. :|
All joking aside, I got the secret text info in the previous posts on my own, but now I'm stuck. I need at least a hint.

The rest shouldn't really be a problem.

06-09-2006 at 07:34 AM
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
I swear, it's amazing how this hold manages to be one of the hardest yet still one of the best.

06-30-2006 at 01:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
I read a few of the hints, without really understanding what people were talking about. So how about a game of Spot the First False Statement?

[Last edited by schep at 08-12-2006 10:18 PM : one last time, really]
08-12-2006 at 10:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Starting at the bottom, #17 would be the first false statement.

I can say this was one of those rooms I might never have gotten until I was told the answer.

I don't know if this is too much of a spoiler, but here's my hint:

08-12-2006 at 10:31 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
Ah, I think I get the trick. There is one square for which my #9 is not true.
08-13-2006 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Yeah, sorry I couldn't follow all your numbered statements since I didn't know the relationship between your time T and the time TCB (the time when The City Beneath is released). :rolleyes
08-13-2006 at 07:52 PM
JLE
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 46
I'm stuck here.

As far as I can see, there is no way for a spawned roach in the first room to be prevented from moving north and east, except to be blocked by the mimic and sword.

Which means that the mimic and sword must be IN that room while there is a living roach, up against the east wall.

However this means that the mimic cannot go into (5,16), on the *west*, to strike the orb, while there is a living roach: because Beethro cannot go below row 16 until he has himself struck the northern orb, which requires him to be in row 6.

So...

Mimic must go into the western chamber and strike the western orb.

Beethro must be free to strike the northern orb before he can move south to row 16. At the moment he strikes the northern orb, he can be no further *south* than row 6. It takes him ten moves to reach row 16 from there: which means that there is not time for him to get far enough south, should he strike the orb on the turn in which the queen spawns roaches.

If there is a normal roach (not a queen) in the chamber when Beethro strikes the northern orb (and is on row 6), nothing can prevent it moving further north and getting trapped behind the force arrows, because the mimic is no longer there to block it.

If there is NOT a normal roach in that chamber at that point, then the queen leaves the chamber, and can never spawn again. Which means that there will never be a normal roach in a position capable of going *south* and blocking the southeastern force arrow at (6,23), allowing the second mimic to at any point move north to actually strike the orb at (3,19) rather than becoming trapped on that arrow.

Can anyone explain a sequence of events that makes this work?
05-09-2023 at 10:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
Briareos' post above lists a set of specific steps to take. From there you can challenge some of your assumptions.

My stuff:

05-09-2023 at 09:37 PM
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : Beethro's Teacher : First Level : 2 East
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com